Which tire should I buy?

Got questions? We got answers....
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Which tire should I buy?

Post by dave04kdx »

I need some recommendations on a rear tire choice. I ride in varied terrain here in Arizona. We have sand, smooth round rocks to sharp small rocks that tend to shred the knobs right off the rear tires. The stock Dunlop didn't hold up well at all. :shock:

Thanks

David
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'd look for an intermediate or hard terrain tire. The Kenda Millville on the intermediate side has been good to me on my trips to the desert. TrackMaster II's also seem to wear pretty good. Get ready for a flood of tire choices :wink:

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

On another site, not the "nasty" site, there is a GNCC Pro in Arizona that uses both Maxxis IT's and Dunlop 756's. He says for his area these are by far the best for both traction and holding up well in your terrain.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

I'm running a maxxis IT 110x100x18 rear and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Although I might try something different for my next one just to try something new.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I ride mostly nasty rocky sand washes and single track. Occasoinally running the softer stuff out near Bartlett lake.

I've run the Maxxis IT in the rear. I was not real impressed. Tire felt scatey for the first 90 miles (3 rides) and then finally became predictable. Unfortunatly with the rocks it only lasted about 4 more rides. Plus the tire weighs a ton.

Contrary to the IT rear...I've been running the Maxxis SI front and I really like it. Wear is ok, after all it is a soft terrain tire. Hooks up great on the rocks as well as the sand. I think I'm going to try the Metzler MC4 up front next time just to have a comparison among soft terrain tires. (or maybe the mich. S12...hmm, or maybe the pir. MT44)

I was talked into trying the new Metzler MC6 on the rear. Huge lugs on a hard terrain tire. I've been impressed so far. I've been on 5 rides in the rocks with it and the wear and traction has been great. (These rides would have worn out the Maxxis IT or Dunlap 739) Works well in the sand too!

Soo many tires to try and so little money!
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I just removed a Maxxis 6001 (a directional tire). It worked great, for about 3 rides!!! (150-200 miles) Then it was wore out. Next tire is an IRC M5B. The shop I go to said the new Maxxis M7305 (I think) is what all the crosscountry riders in my area are going to. I've never heard of it. Has anyone else?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Let me know how the M5 works out

Thats an awesome tyre, buddy of mine had one on his CR500, threw an amazing roost!
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ah grasshopper... Wise man say... "Good roost mean bad traction" "When tire spinning, wheel have no traction" :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Oh it got GREAT traction!

I rode it a few times, ( doing DEATH defying wheelies) :twisted:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think an Open bike throws up roost even without spinning the tire. I had an awesome 2 minute test ride on a 1984 KX500 back in 1987. I still know to respect one! I did some dumb things as a kid, but I am glad I was smart enough not to try to get that bike. A KDX200 was all I needed.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mr. Wibbens wrote:Oh it got GREAT traction!

I rode it a few times, ( doing DEATH defying wheelies) :twisted:
Was it roosting while you were riding wheelies? Proly not. (if it was...you were not getting maximum traction)

My experiece with traction and roosts is that they are not used in the same sentence. Thanks to Maxxis C6001's.... I could throw a roost until the cows came home... but I sure wasn't moving as fast as the tire! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Indawoods wrote:Was it roosting while you were riding wheelies? Proly not. (if it was...you were not getting maximum traction)
Well since at the moment my eyes are not on the back of my head, who knows if it were roosting?

But I've followed that 500 enuf to know that it is throwing a roost most all the time, even just casually cruising down a road I get showered by golf balls sized rocks
Indawoods wrote:My experiece with traction and roosts is that they are not used in the same sentence.
Ever run a paddle? :mrgreen:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I don't run paddles but I can see what you mean about the 500.. my bike is no KX500 though.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Doug is running a M5B on his 500 he hits me so hard with rocks that I have to stay well out of the way. I agree, wheel spin is wasted energy, but that 500 can throw a roost 6 feet high, while pulling a wheele at 75 mph!!!!
Scary when he passes me like that!!

Anyway, that tire is wearing like iron with the abuse he throws it. I think it would handle a KDX power even longer. Ha!

I ordered it from rockymountainmc.com on Wednesday, it was on my doorstep this morning!!! $47 plus about 8 bucks shipping. Dealer wants $72 plus tax. Right!!

I'll let you know how it works, Doug picks me up in 6 hours, got to get some sleep!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I know what you mean about tire prices.... I checked the prices locally cause I WANTED to give 'em my business..... but at twice the price of rockymountain.... I said the same thing.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Isn't Rocky cool!

Great prices and FAST shipping! (on the west coast at least)
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Chaparral-racing.com is pretty cheap on tires, too. I think they are cheaper than Rocky Mountain right now.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

MX-Sales is out of Reno and shipps fast too, but are higher priced than Rocky who is out of Utah.

O.K. Ride report on the MB5 can be found in a complete ride report covering several aspects, not just tires in a new thread titled

Ride Report

It will take me awhile to complete the writeup, so be patent. In it I will be comparing my new M5B, (love it), suspension as well as all other aspects of compareison between my KDX, a 2003 KX500, 2004 Honda CRF450, 2005 KTM 525 EXC, 1998 Honda CR500. Also, covered will be Nevada Desert riding. I really had a great time testing each of these bikes, their suspension, the terrain of desert and the great riders I met.
Jerry

Tim_from_AZ

Post by Tim_from_AZ »

I've found the Maxxis IT to be a decent tire however they're HEAVY. Another one you might try here in AZ is the Kenda Carlsbad. It's a harder compound then the Millville so it won't wear out as fast and it's lighter then the Maxxis.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Tim_from_AZ wrote:I've found the Maxxis IT to be a decent tire however they're HEAVY. Another one you might try here in AZ is the Kenda Carlsbad. It's a harder compound then the Millville so it won't wear out as fast and it's lighter then the Maxxis.
I was thinking about giving the Carlsbad a try for our next desert trip, I think you just sealed the deal :mrgreen:

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E