I put the FMF K30 on my 220 and I am not thrilled.

Got questions? We got answers....
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

I put the FMF K30 on my 220 and I am not thrilled.

Post by kawagumby »

Here's the deal;
I ride in 2nd and 3rd gear stuff, often with short technical hill climbs where you sometimes need to paddle up and over. In spite of what I've read, the K30 DOES NOT provide the strong off-throttle torque of the stock pipe. It does make the engine sing everywhere else...but in bad traction conditions it also makes the tire spin more easily too, especially about 1/3 up the rpm range. The bike is jetted right on.

So here's my question for you 220 guys, if I keep the K30....
I was planning on adding the boyeson 607's, will they detract even more from the off-idle torque or make it better?

How about Ron's carb mods? Will they take away or add to off-idle torque? I'm talking about instant wheel up type of response right off idle.

Thanks in advance for any info!
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

You're the opposite of most 220 guys.
Can't help ya though, you can probably find that the RB carb mod is the best for off-idle torque.
rollerman

Post by rollerman »

i run the torque pipe because of the conditions in new hampshire rocks roots mud and hills wouldnt change it and will be sending my carb out to ron soon... hope this helps i also have the 607 reeds and the Q silencer
03 kdx 220 mine
05 pw 80 son
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

With Ron's Head and Carb mods and 607 reeds or a VF3 I think you'll find that you'll get back pretty much all the off idle torque you had. Especially with a DEK needle in the carby. A flywheel weight might keep things spinning a little longer and help out with the traction control department. Same thing with a lighting coil if you were already looking at adding more/stronger lighting.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I didn't know they made flywheel weights for the kdx's. Where can I get them? I know more flywheel will help the situation in other ways.

And thanks for the info rollerman! I kinda suspected I was making the wrong choice for my kind focused kind of riding.... but the ads said no loss at bottom. (as a matter of fact, the Fredette ad says the torque pipe is not for the 220 - Oh, well.)
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

The RB head and carb (do them together cuz if you do the carb you want the head done) will make the engine feel like a tractor again. The divider plate and the internal work Ron does is more than I would ever imagined. Do a search on "Grin"
The DF3 reeds make a significant improvement in low end.
As far as FW weight, the Steahly was nice in the slippery stuff.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Steahly makes a flywheel weight for the KDX's.

http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/

I wouldn't give up on the Rev pipe yet. I think between some more tweaking and perhaps a little bit of new technique I think you'll yet be happy with your new rev pipe. I'm on a 200 with a less bottom end than your 220 had stock and I can still make it up all the nasty slick clay hills here in the North West Wet.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Thanks to all of you.... I'll be doing some more mods soon! :mrgreen:

mOrie...my deal is that where I ride it is all holes, stutters, washouts, and crap. To survive with my aging bod I basically jump my bike like a frog over everything - no chance to think about it, oops.. gotta jump over it. I think the rev pipe will work out fine too, with the info you guys just gave me.

I spent 2300 for this bike and I'll likely have another 2000 (so what) into it altogether - but already I like it better than the CRF250X that I rode the last two years. It is just "light enougher" that with the USD's and some shock tweaking it works better than the honda for the really tight stuff, believe it or not. You can recover more quickly from the inevitable bounce off of brush or solid wall. And best of all you don't have to worry about the valves closing up on you when you're out alone in the boondocks.

I'm a happy camper on a bike I once thought was obsolete. This site is a winner.
Last edited by kawagumby on 06:00 pm Jan 09 2007, edited 2 times in total.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

kawagumba - I didn't have the same results you did so play with the jetting even if it was "spot on" (perhaps it isn't any more). Also, the power reeds give some great snap on the bottom end.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Ron's modification will give you 'more' bottom end response. That said based on it being true for my bike (not yours) but also on what other 220 riders have said.

'More' doesn't necessarily equate to wheel spin (re: 'but in bad traction conditions it also makes the tire spin more easily'). It's smoother so you don't have to have the R's up as far. THAT will move you in the direction of '..instant wheel up type of response right off idle'. The 220 head is notorious for being 'different' one head to the other. Ron's work on the 220 reportedly shines..again, a move in the direction of '..instant wheel up..' response.

Riding in these parts consists of lots of stuff that is slower and technical. A repeat (again) but I used to change between -30 and -35 pipes regularly because the -30 just did NOT have the bottom end I needed. With Ron's carb work and the DF2, I stopped doing that. The -30 is plenty on the bottom...especially when I'm right on the SSS. THAT makes a big difference.

You may well find yourself one gear higher than you usually run..and THAT will you move you toward both 'wheel up' response AND less spin.

You don't miss the Showas on the CRF250X? I thought that bike very capable. Boring...but capable!!

California where? When 'ya comin' up this way?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

CanyonCarver, You could post all day if there were enough questions
Last edited by 2001kdx on 03:11 pm Jan 10 2007, edited 1 time in total.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:

You don't miss the Showas on the CRF250X? I thought that bike very capable. Boring...but capable!!

California where? When 'ya comin' up this way?

The CRF250X had the best off-road suspension I've ever encountered. It is a heavier bike (236 dry), even though you don't notice it while you're moving. If you have to pick it up - you notice. I did all the free mods to mine and it was very capable - I'd say it was similar to the 220 but smoother with very little wheel spin. Tires last forever. It turns better anywhere over 5 mph or so. But it is not as quick "flickable" as the kdx's...and they only go about 70 hours without valve/valve spring replacement or you may get stranded.
The KX500 forks on my bike are every bit as good as the showas in slow stuff, but lack the uncanny capability to remain as plush under all conditions as the showas do. (coincidentally the spring rates are very similar - 40kg/KX500 and 41kg for the CRF).

I'd love to head north someday. I've seen some of your scenic gallery pictures and I am jealous of the riding you have up there.
I live in Hollister, CA next to a state riding area and Clear Creek fed riding land. Both are rough from heavy use.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

We were headed down to Hollister a couple years back for ..uh I forget the name of the 'Big Event' we were going to.

My brother-in-law was pulling a 25+' something with his Tundra..no brakes on the trailer..wind gusts must have been over 60mph. He was white-knuckled 1/2 way to Weed...nuthin but a knot by the time we got TO Weed. We ended up turning around (next day) in Redding.

And that has WHAT to do with anything? I dunno...I'm just keeping busy posting all day..............questions or no questions! :wink:

Re: '..uncanny capability to remain as plush under all conditions as the showas do.'

That's sumthin' ain't it?

Hollister is not but an easy day's drive. By the time you get up here later this year (Spring), Wibby and I will have Quartz Ck. figured out. Come up first part of July and we maybe could ride Quartz Ck., Johns Peak AND Prospect!!!

We'll send 'ya home plum tuckered!!

Forget the 'someday' crap. Yer burnin' daylight, Pilgrim!! Pick a date..let's go!!

Plenty of room for a sleeping bag or a dozen for that matter. Idyllic indawoods (ha) surroundings, two fridges for beer, only minutes to riding!! Well...Prospect is about 90 of those minutes.

When 'ya gonna be here?

By the time Skipro's Open House party gets here, it'll be time for a Georgetown ride!!!

So much riding to do...so little time...

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!