KTM 200exc or KDX 220?

Got questions? We got answers....
z1nonlyone

KTM 200exc or KDX 220?

Post by z1nonlyone »

I just bought my 15 year old daughter a 05 220 KDX. She loves it,,,, I love it... It is totally stock. Not to be outdone, my friend bought his daughter a KTM 200 exc 2003. Just rode it today, nice bike also has explosive power. I think the KTM is faster than a stock KDX but I am wondering if anyone knows if a KDX with a pipe, carb mods, jetting will be as powerful as the KTM? The KTM already comes stock with a fmf pipe. To keep apples against apples the KDX should be compared with the same hop up goodies. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris

z1nonlyone
View Public Profile
Send email to z1nonlyone
Find all posts by z1nonlyone
Add z1nonlyone to Your Buddy List
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It will never be apples to apples.

Which is more bullet proof? The KDX
Which is a much better bargain? The KDX

Which is a race bike out of the box? The KTM
Which will plain wear you out? The KTM

Even with the mods...the KDX will never be explosive as the KTM. The power valve setup and HP are not similar at all.

With the mods.... the KDX is a very worthy woods weapon and personally... I prefer it... hence the site.

I had a KTM and didn't like the rock hard seat, ergo's and touchy throttle. But I am 42 and like to enjoy myself riding and not in it for 15 minute motos.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
z1nonlyone

KTM 200exc or KDX 220?

Post by z1nonlyone »

Yea, I am kind of like you but older (50), I also noticed the rock hard seat when I rode the KTM. I have a track in my field setup with very tight turns and I was able to go faster with my daughters stock KDX than my 01 XR 400R. I thought that was supposed to be the perfect trail bike!! I am considering selling it for a 2 stroke. I always thought that 2 strokes were tempermentle beasts and were disposable, boy am I learning! Maybe a little too late as it seems 2 strokes are on there way out. Polution I guess,,,,,, hence the red sticker,,,,,,I don't care about that,,,I am thinking about building a KDX that fits me,,,220 lbs, 6' tall. I know I am not too big as her bike rips me around the track! She will pass me someday, and she loves the bike! Especially when she saw her friend trying to start the KTM! The KDX starts so eaisily. Does it start that easy and is it user friendly AFTER the mods?

Chris
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mine always starts 1st or second kick and is heavily modified. They are just solid, dependable bikes.

The KDX will eat a XR400 alive and putt right along beside it. The best of both worlds for sure.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Not much help answering your questions, but I find it awesome that you have a 15 year old daughter on a KDX and that she has a friend on a KTM!!
There is hope for this world after all.
Good job there dad! :supz:
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Is she able to lap you yet? :grin:

Only a few short months ago I was in a bit different yet somewhat similar predicament: choosing between a 2-stroke 250 (mx, KTM, or Gas Gas) and a KTM.

I think Indawoods sums it up quite well but I wanted to chime in with one thing: I've started modding my KDX and it has responded VERY well - power and snap namely - yet the KDX has retained it's loveable character. THAT'S the primary advantage of the KDX in my very humble opinion.

And there's still more "expanding" to do!

Welcome to the site, you came to the right place. Do plenty of browsing around - there's plenty to see and learn.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I had a riding buddy in the the group I rode with in WA, female and 23, and she rode a fairly new 200EXC (2-stroke trail type) We rode on the eastern side of the Cascades at Cle Elum which is quite a handfull of tough trails. On one 6 mile tough slow trail we switched bikes because she wanted me to see how nice the KTM was. At that time I had stock forks on the KDX. She never fell one time. She usually fell a couple times. Afterwards she said it was more comfortable as the seat was soft on her girlie rearend (which was 100% girlie too!!!!) , easier to handle, power was smoother and gruntier, and she was not as tired as normal. In her opinion she liked the KDX better and would have gotten one if she had to do it over again.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

who cares if Your friends daughter has a KTM...she has an ugly mango/orange/fruity tooty bike, YOUR daughter has a KDX, the meanest, most durable, Grreen machine out there.

Personally, i would see if your daughter even wants to have Mods on her bike...its not about keeping up to the OTHER guy's kid, but its about haveing a good time and letting it all hangout!!! remeber...just cause you got a bigger bike means nothing...its 90% Rider 10% bike.Period.

Finally man,. good job that you got your daughter riding...thats quite a thing to do in today's world...Rock on, and just you wait...soon she'll be kicking yer a$$ like no tomarow and she wont need a KTM, shell have superiour technique!!!
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
z1nonlyone

Post by z1nonlyone »

Yea,,, I know what you guys mean,,,she is almost kicking my a** right now! She is 10 seconds behind me on my 1/2 mile trail/track. She is way faster than her friend on the exc and her friends dad on his WR400. I wanted to find a sport for her that we both could enjoy. (Can only play with so many dolls!! hahh!). She took on to it and now comes home from school and does laps. I have told her about all the mods that can be done and like a typical girl, she doesn't really care about them or understand. If I modded the bike it might be more for my amusement than hers and that is not right. I think what I should do is improve the handling as much as I can. Maybe install race tech products front and rear specifically matched to her 105 lb. weight. I can see that it take way more than cc's to be fast! Thanks for your moral support guys!!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I just started my 4 year old daughter on a TTR50E. Its more fun than a barrel of monkeys riding around the field after her. You won't regret getting her interested in the bikes! :supz:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Similar story to one previous, I had a conversation with a KTM200 rider who said he wished he had his KDX back. He liked the smoother, gruntier engine most.

KDX parts are everywhere too.....for the extremely rare occasion when you might need a replacement.
:wink:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'I think the KTM is faster than a stock KDX but I am wondering if anyone knows if a KDX with a pipe, carb mods, jetting will be as powerful as the KTM?'

No.

Re: 'The KDX starts so eaisily. Does it start that easy and is it user friendly AFTER the mods?'

Yes. Moreso, actually.

Inda's first post summed it up perfectly.

I have some seat time on a 200EXC..and it was a SOFT replacement seat!! Still was hard as a rock!

They're fast. They're quick. Standing on the pegs is a natural on the EXC whereas the KDX is a tad wide for me to stand comfortably in 'real' terrain. The KDX turns a lot sharper! More'n once I had to get OFF the KTM to manhandle the thing around trees in spots the KDX would slink right through.

They're a lot 'different' is all.

My 200 was real close power-wise to the EXC. At the time I was riding both my 200 had the OEM forks..and it was suspension (WP) on the EXC that made it faster. A 220 will never be as fast as an EXC. Period.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I suspect your daughter has a long way to go before NEEDING power upgrades on the KDX. You can make it safer and a better ride by carefull tuning of the stock components. I say this because my wife broke her foot- my fault of course- on her brand new KX100 because I had not got around to fixing the jetting and it bogged and stalled exiting a corner.
Of great value right now would be suspension work. If she starts to get any speed going, the KX fork conversion would be a really, really good idea. I have my old KDX forks mounted to the KX125 they came off of, and ride the KX quite a bit 'cause it's fun but the forks sure are off of a KDX. Night and day difference is an understatement.

Karl
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Re: ' A 220 will never be as fast as an EXC. Period.
ya there is no way my 220 is as fast as a EXC 200 but then I could always drag the brake to even things up a bit.
but then, who is in to drag racing dirt bikes any way? NOT ME ! beside I would bing my 650 to do any serious drag racing off road.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

having just gone orange, i would say that the biggest difference for me has been the weight and flickability of the KTM. I am 5'8" and 160 and find the KTM a much more comfortable bike ergonomically (definitely not in the seat, the KDX is a Cadillac. Better than my buddies WR though) The pumpkin definitely wants to run wild though, i like it. I have put a Rekluse on it and it is very rideable. chugg around like the KDX then, click, gone like a rocket. I disagree with the KDX turning better, but I have an 04 KTM and they supposedly made a big change in that department that year.

The KDX is a great learning bike. I got that thing a little over 2 years ago when I was 31. That bike took a lot of beatings from me and came back everytime for more. Like a good old mtn kerr dog. But I am already faster o the KTM.

Ever seen over the hedge? The KDX is the Squirrel, and the KTM is the squirrel when he drank the energy drink.

can't go wrong with either, just don't let em ride four strokes. :mrgreen:
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I'm going to chip in. I too am thinking of a more aggressive, fast and ready to race bike. This is why my 200 must go, I have it sold to my neighbor, after I do a few things to it. Heck, I figure who better than your neighbor to sell it too? Can't see a downside there... Anyway, I'm looking for a 250 MX bike, and i'm sure it will be a move for the best, after i adjust to the power and handling, not to mention stiff suspension. I am looking into starting motos and maybe a H/S. I am sure I will love the new bike, the part about getting tired out just isn't a factor, i'm just 15, I don't tire as easily and whatnot like the older guys :grin:
cmot

Post by cmot »

(Excerpt) "the part about getting tired out just isn't a factor, i'm just 15, I don't tire as easily and whatnot like the older guys "

God, You make me sick! :lol:
Just bury me when I can't ride anymore...
z1nonlyone

Post by z1nonlyone »

I think I am getting many wise ideas as to what if anything my daughter would need/benifit from as far as mods go. So , do the KX 125 forks just slip in? Are they the same lenght? I would imagine that they are better as they are made for a MX race bike, however they might still be too stiff as MX is different than trail riding. Any ideas?

Thanks again and again!,

Chris
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Search up on the usd fork swap section, a wealth of info can be found.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Chris...
The forks are a bit longer but can go up in the trees.

You have to swap the steering stems for the trees to work on the KDX.

There are a few tricks to it but we have all the info that you may want on the subject. Read http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=104

Most anything that can happen has been discussed. You will be very happy you did it...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****