Replacement bulb

Got questions? We got answers....
tha_reids
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Replacement bulb

Post by tha_reids »

Anyone swap the oem headlight bulb with a brighter aftermarket type.
I realize the bulb wattage is limited by the stators output.
I've been researching the base type and believe it is a p15d25-1 (my bike is a 250D2).
15mm dia. base with a 25mm flange and seems to look similar to the H6M
from PIAA. Stock is 30/30 watt and the PIAA is 35/35 but has a (equivalent to)60/60 output.
I have a UFO rear fender on the way so the tail light is history for now which would help.

I see the H6M advertised for $9.00 on one site even though it has a msrp of $30. :shock:

I searched this topic but didn't find much
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Plenty of riders have swapped for one thing or the other. As you say, not commonly brighter because of the wattage issue.

Any advertising that says, 'This is a 35W bulb but it puts out 60W.' is tellin' a lie! All that 'equivalent' bs is just that...bs.

For starters, watts is a measure of power..not light output. Why on earth would you want to about double the power requirement? 35W gives you 60W is an inane statement meant to entice the ignorant.

Don't bother explaining what they MEAN by the statement. I understand that part...and it's still stupid.

It's LUMENS that tell you how much light is being produced.

IF the base fits and you have the power to run it...you're in!

Oh...you note the 30/30 part. You realize that means it has TWO filaments in it, right? Like the OEM bulb? If one element is toast you can tag a bit of wire between the contacts of the bulb and use the 'other' one until IT burns out.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
tha_reids
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by tha_reids »

Ya, PIAA claims are far fetched and agreed upon but its not the subject matter. The reason for the "Lumens" standard is to compare light output between different manufacturers. The bulbs would have to be identical as you cannot compare "Lumens" output between bulbs that have a different kelvin temperature. They will vary. PAR and lux suffer the same fate.
Add a parabolic reflector and there is another variable that has little to do with a Lumens reading.

Its all right up there with "maximum theoretical bandwidth".

Creative advertising aside. All bulbs were not created equal.
If the PIAA bulb is only $9 (not $30!) I can't see a downside unless the base is different.
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

>|<>QBB<
tha_reids wrote:Ya, PIAA claims are far fetched and agreed upon but its not the subject matter. The reason for the "Lumens" standard is to compare light output between different manufacturers. The bulbs would have to be identical as you cannot compare "Lumens" output between bulbs that have a different kelvin temperature. They will vary. PAR and lux suffer the same fate.
Add a parabolic reflector and there is another variable that has little to do with a Lumens reading.

Its all right up there with "maximum theoretical bandwidth".

Creative advertising aside. All bulbs were not created equal.
If the PIAA bulb is only $9 (not $30!) I can't see a downside unless the base is different.
Ya what he said. :? :?
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER