Abs plastic skid plates

Got questions? We got answers....
luke347

Abs plastic skid plates

Post by luke347 »

I was thinking of ordering some 1/4 inch thick ABS plastic to make my self a skid plate one that protects EVERYTHING, Any one ever done this?
Its heat moldable and is quite a strong meterial, very cheap comparitively compared to buying an aluminum skid plate even if you have to make one every year. What do you guys think about this idea?
Going riding tommorow and have to fashion a make shift rear fender( I wonder why).
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

^ On the ABS plastic idea, I say go for it if it's not expensive. Creativity almost always wins out - if it doesn't work you'll develop other ideas.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

seems like a great idea. Where do you get this Abs plastic?
Wilf
luke347

Post by luke347 »

I think the website I found that had good plastic prices was usplastics.com I don't really remember but we have a family friend who orders lots of it for parts on his bike like home made bark busters and skid plates, the bark busters work better than the acerbis plastic ones because he uses 1/4 thick stuff and just orders a.r.c. mounting hardware.
Im also thing of making a fender out of it because it WILL NOT break it can hold the weight of the bike plus the rider, well ill get back to you guys on how it worked.[/u]
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'd think, for a skid plate, UHMW would work better
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I recall reading someone using puck board or similar for a skid plate.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

puck?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

In this freeze'n cold most plastics will crack easy.

50+ bucks for a good Alum skid plate that "fits/covers" and you never have to worry about is a better idea, at least to me.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Your asking an aussie what puck means ?!? :roll: You know ice hockey ?? rink board, puck board you lot call it all kinds of things. :rolleyes: Not that I would know but I believe it is 1/2" high density polyethylene used as a liner for ice hockey rinks. :mrgreen:

**EDIT**

HDPE is very similar to what you mentioned but not quite as good.
Most roost deflectors are made from High Density Polyethylene (HDPE). This material is fairly rigid and offers decent impact protection. In contrast,Tekrider uses Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMW-PE) in its vests. The key difference is that UHMW-PE is 8X more impact resistant the HDPE, yet it is flexible. UHMW-PE also offers outstanding abraision resistance and it's resistant to both chemicals and stress cracking. In addition to the use of UHMW-PE, the vest has a layer of high density padding (but not thick & bulky), to further increase impact protection. The Tekvest also provides protection where traditional roost deflectors leave off, including your flanks and lower lumbar area.
Taken from here.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Hockey's not too popular on this side of the rock

Another thing on UHMW, it is super slick stuff, which would make it slide over stuff better, IMHO
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Ahhhh cool, my bad. All this talk has me interested in what my 'plastic' Hyde Developments glide plate is made from. I'll try and email the manufacturer. :mrgreen:

BTW googleing 'HDPE vs UHMW' has some good info if you choose that route.

qwik gixxer

Post by qwik gixxer »

We have a bunch of the Puck Board here at work (I work at the Aspen Rec Center and we have an Ice Rink) I will see if I can have some of it. If so I will just mail you a couple chunks.

Tim
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

'Downside to the UHMW will be cost . . . but it is great stuff
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!