Chains - Who's got the best deal?

Got questions? We got answers....
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Chains - Who's got the best deal?

Post by 2001kdx »

Today i was out riding (beautiful day in new york, 68 degrees) and I was doing some holeshots and whatnot, usual stuff. After i was blasting through an open area, WFO in sixth, I stopped. I talked with my buddy for a few minutes, then we go to take off, and I stall out. Thinking I was still in 6th or something, I tried to shift down. I looked down and I realized, The master link broke apart, and the chain was shoved all the way around the countershaft, in between the shifter and frame. Chain guard ripped from it's mounts, bolts twisted and one of them broke off inside the part where the guard bolts on. Lets just say it was a real mess. THANK GOD THAT DID'NT HAPPEN AT WFO!

Thus, I'm ready to buy a new chain/sproket setup. I was thinking X-ring, I like O-ring, but I saw a parts unlimited X-ring chain for $60. O-rings are cheaper, But I wanted some input on the whole o-ring x-ring, best value and all of that stuff. Also, Would 110 links work for 13/49?
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Whew I just realized I need some definite aluminum welding if I want to run a chain guard again. :sad:
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Oh boy. One of the racers today had his master link come off. He was able to replace it and ride on.

I've been considering all sorts of options. Another O-ring. Try an X-ring. or get a better conventional chain (for the money).

Moose (I think) also has a new chain in the offing... Built to tighter tolerances. "Doesn't stretch." Yadda yadda.

Rick
Last edited by AZRickD on 11:34 pm Jan 06 2007, edited 1 time in total.
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

There was a thread started very recently on o-ring vs. x-ring, hence Rick's enthusiasm :wink:

Give the search feature on the website a shot - there's some other posts as well.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Buy the new Moose chain and do lots more hole shots with it and report back. You could be our official tester.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Oh, yeah. This one...
Allow me to add one more dimension to this thread if I may . . .

Moose Racing now offers a 520 "FB" chain - anybody tried one yet? They now offer the FB (Fine Blanking) instead of the X-ring yet still offer the O-ring and non o-ring chains. Link attached.

http://mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?leve ... up_id=4471
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
Bailey28

Post by Bailey28 »

The Moose chain looks like the Primary Drive house brand stuff from Rocky mountain atv.. I used the P-D O-ring on a DRZ400, and it held up surprisingly well for the season. After a year, the chain began to kink up in spots, but never really required adjusting...
FAZ
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Bailey28 wrote:The Moose chain looks like the Primary Drive house brand stuff from Rocky mountain atv.. I used the P-D O-ring on a DRZ400, and it held up surprisingly well for the season. After a year, the chain began to kink up in spots, but never really required adjusting...
'Just checked out the Primary Drive chain, nice . . . half the cost!

Geez, even the X-ring chain is much cheaper, cool . . . thanks!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Today i was out riding (beautiful day in new york, 68 degrees)..
..shutup.

Buying chain based on 'deal' or what it looks like isn't too worthwhile a criteria.

People that should know (eveyone that makes them) will tell you the 'X' ring is a better chain that the 'O' ring. Seals better, less friction....

110 is good for 13/49 on the 'H' KDX.

A chain that 'doesn't stretch' is a chain that doesn't wear. Chances of THAT happening is right up there with the likelihood of having to pull off the road every hundred miles and siphon off some fuel because you are getting SUCH good mileage you have to take fuel OUT of the tank to keep it from running out the filler neck!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!