Carb sizing

Got questions? We got answers....
big-air-sinclaire

Carb sizing

Post by big-air-sinclaire »

Is there any difference in a 33mm or 34mm carb
my manual says I have a 33mm carb on my 05 kdx 220
would I benefit from using a 34mm and will it fit?
Thanks Sean :supz:
2005kdx220
tag220

Post by tag220 »

I run a 35mm on my 04 220 very nice better top and bottom very smooth.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

If you are going to upgrade your carb I wouldn't waste my time, effort or money on anything BUT an RB carb. You can send your carb to him to be modded or buy a new one. http://www.rb-designs.com or check out the RB carb and head section of the forum.

Oh BTW WELCOME !!! :partyman:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXSean
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXSean »

Since you have a 220, I would suggest you check out rb-designs web site and read the info on this site as well for more information on carb and head mods.

You can either have rb modify your stock carb or get a brandy new air stryker. But since you have a 220 you should also have your head modified as well.

I had my stock carb modified and the head fixed up last winter by rb.

You'll be very happy with the results.

You should also consider changing out the stock piston for a wiseco. The stockers have a reputation for failure. It's a small failure rate, but if it happens to you it's an expensive fix.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

To answer your questions......

Re: 'Is there any difference in a 33mm or 34mm carb.'

Yes.

The difference is 1mm.

Re: 'my manual says I have a 33mm carb on my 05 kdx 220'

Your manual is correct. At least the 220 comes from the factory with a 33mm carb. That doesn't mean you don't have a 39mm carb on there now! :wink:

Re: 'would I benefit from using a 34mm and will it fit?'

There would certainly be a benefit, but I doubt you would notice it. It would be a pretty small benefit.

The fit part? It would fit if it was of the same type...a small body Keihin PWK.

Other than all that....the replies above apply!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
big-air-sinclaire

Post by big-air-sinclaire »

It says on RB's web site that he does not ship outside the U.S.
The reason for my original question was I am thinking of buying a second carb (a 34mm) to send to RB so I'm not without while it's in getting pimped
does any one have any suggestions for shipping?
2005kdx220
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

go to the website for contact information and contact Ron
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ron does not ship to Canada. He has had problems with them in the past and refuses to ship there.

You may be able to find someone that will do it for you in the states that Ron can ship to.

Good luck!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
GS

Post by GS »

I would contact Ron directly to get his feelings on this.

I believe that he has been frustrated by what appear to be absurd shipping costs (and brokerage ) to Canada and may prefer you handle all shipping from your end.

So, maybe just call and see what the gentleman has to say. :neutral:

Greg
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

We have been down that road and Ron is steadfast but do what you will....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
GS

Post by GS »

Sorry, I hadn't seen where he was steadfast.

But, I certainly did read and feel his frustration some time back.

I ship cross-border from time to time and find the most annoying thing is the truly ridiculous brokerage fees charged by UPS for 2-3 min work.

Didn't mean to step on toes ! :blink:

Greg
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Not mine... I just wanted to throw it out there so you would have some idea of how Ron thinks about it... but who knows.... maybe things have changed? :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Ship the thing down here!

I'm'a sucker!!

With all the shipping mess back'n-forth...I could order an air striker for 'ya!!

No waiting. Better carb. Ron modifies the air striker. I send it to you. You still pay the stupid shipping...everybody's happy!!

Is there some kind of 'repair parts' label that gets it into Canada on the cheap like those guys on the other side of the world (down under)?

Let me know!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

OK, here goes guys.......,

Shipping to Canada or other countries out side of the USA has many shipping problems, not for me but to who I send too.

Most countries like Canada, UK, Australia. New Zealand, Africa and Brazil will charge you for the amount of the total worth of your product in taxes and duties (which you will buy your own product back plus the up grades)

I will only ship UPS out of the country, as they have their own customs and it will not get lost and still can be tracked.

Still again any thing must have a declared value, even given as a gift. You will be charged taxes and duties on a value.

If you want it sent back at a no value......, it will not be insured! Also I can not put my position into a legal or fraud situation.

I can and will send product with a declared value and you will be responsible for all taxes and duties and brokerage fees. I have no control over these fees....., You should contact you local customs agency for any of the fees along with UPS brokerage fees.

Ron
GS

Post by GS »

Thanks for clearing that up!

I agree with Ron.......wouldn't advise messing with customs by making false declarations.

If it is for repair/alteration, which is what Ron does, then a different form may be used, declaring the work as a repair or alteration and then only the value of the repair is taxable. OR, just note that on the declaration and show the value that Ron has added to the part.

Easy and legitimate for those that like to sleep at night. Doesn't cost a lot more, either. There are no duties applied if the part is being returned to the owner after repair, just the poopy sales tax. To be safe, keep the outbound shipping records as proof of the origin of the part.

For shipping and insurance purposes, you may want to use the full value of the part with the alteration costs included
KDXSean
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXSean »

Last year about this time I sent my carb and head to Ron. When returned, the parts were insured for $500, which I was OK with if they were lost or damaged. Canadian Customs then charged me tax (GST mostly) on the $500 value of the parts instead of the work being done.

There is a form that I then filled out and submitted (with copies of the receipts attached) to Revenue Canada that documented what was parts and what was labour. Revenue Canada then sent me a refund for about half (I think) the taxes I paid.

This is entirely a Canadian Customs issue, not UPS or US Gov't or RBD's. Small amount of aggravation for me but I'm very happy with the work Ron did and the resulting performance on my bike. I would do it again and recommend it highly to everyone.

Sean
Last edited by KDXSean on 11:43 am Jan 08 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Send it to Ron.. Drive across the boarder & P/U..Bring the bike with you & hook up with some fellow riders State Side, before packing for the North Country Again

Its Crazy I Know
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr