O Ring vs X Ring

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXSean
Gold Member
Gold Member

O Ring vs X Ring

Post by KDXSean »

Happy New Year Folks

One of the things I need to do before spring is to replace my OEM sprockets and o-ring chain on my 220.

What is the difference between o ring and x ring chains. I don't mind asking stoopid questions. :oops:

Any reason to use one over the other.

Thanks

Also looking for any opinions/experiences with the x ring vs o ring
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

X-rings are an improvement to the O-ring. They both seal the internal lube in and keep the dirt out. X-rings have less resistance/drag and seal better and last longer.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

I'm thinking about getting a conventional chain when mine wears out.

Thoughts of that over the O/X for a dusty and usually dry riding environment like Phoenix?

One shop owner guestimated that an O-ring chain costs 1/2 HP.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Allow me to add one more dimension to this thread if I may . . .

Moose Racing now offers a 520 "FB" chain - anybody tried one yet? They now offer the FB (Fine Blanking) instead of the X-ring yet still offer the O-ring and non o-ring chains. Link attached.

http://mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?leve ... up_id=4471
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Moose Racing is proud to reconfigure our chain lineup for 2007. We are introducing the FB, and leaving the X-ring chain behind. The FB is a newly developed top of the line chain. This is the highest quality chain we have ever offered, and we are bringing it to you at a lower price than our X-ring without decreasing quality! After more than a year of testing we are importing what we believe to be the last chain you will ever switch to, the FB.
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R