Thoughts about 88 KDX 200 having more power than newer 200

Got questions? We got answers....
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Thoughts about 88 KDX 200 having more power than newer 200

Post by m0rie »

Looking at the CDave needle decoder got me thinking about another topic that was posted recently where an owner was complaining that his 88(?) 200 had more power than his new H series 200. When I converted the needle code for a stock 88 back into a Keihin code it came out CCJ which would give a more MX like powerband than the BFQ needle that a H series 200 comes with. The CCJ is also pretty close to the recommended CGK for the 89-94 KDX's with stock carbs. With that info it makes more sense that stock to stock an 88 might have a better powerband than a 95+ KDX 200.

Any Thoughts?
Last edited by m0rie on 04:05 pm Jan 03 2007, edited 1 time in total.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

if by a better powerband you mean less power, than i would say yes.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If you're an 'H' rider...DO take a spin on an 'E' bike if you get the chance.

Any conclusions of 'more power' or 'better powerband' would be subjective. Even if compared dyno-wise...'more power' doesn't necessarily 'feel' right.

Wibby's '92 (I think) has a much different power delivery than my bike for sure, as does your bike, m0rie.

Last weekend a YZ250 rider was riding Wibby's bike. On a hill he said he dumped the clutch with the bike in third gear thinking the bike would stall. He said, 'It took off without me!'. Don't know how many of you guys have ridden a 250 2T..but they can be quite intimidating. LOTS of spunk!! For a YZ rider to think that of a little 200 says more than what he said!

Better? More?

From the 'Es' I've ridden, I'd say YES!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I went from a well setup 90 to a 95 when they first came out. For the kind of riding I like, i.e., really technical slower stuff the 90 worked better. I was put off by the H model's lack of grunt...but the H model made a better open trail bike IMO.

Jetting? maybe somewhat, but more likely the biggest difference is in the porting, and maybe the cooler looking muffler. :lol:

Now a 220, there's a man's bike! Grunt, grunt, wheelie, grunt wheelie, yahooooo! Why, I had a full head of hair when starting out on my new 97 220, and in no time I went bald, yet, inexplicably I gained hair everywhere else. No kidding! What does that tell you?

Methinks it all depends on what kind of riding you do as to which engine is best.

I really liked the air-cooleds best for brush-bust'n, creek safari's, ravines and death drop-offs ( you know when you come down such a steep hill you can't get back up and you have a drop off in front that you can't possibly ride off....so you drop the bike off - and hope it survives...) oh yeah, air cooleds for sure! :supz:

Ok, I digress. sorry. :razz:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

I had an 88 (C Model) with a DG pipe and silencer, other wise bone stock. I sold the 88 to my brother when I bought my 04. After my 04 was broke in and jetted we raced from a stop on a long gas line road. The 88 KDX left my 04 in the dust. He smoked me from the start and beat me badly top end. We are pretty much equal now that my 04 has the RB carb mod, pipe and silencer. That 88 just always hauled a$#. Just a good one from the factory I guess?? :blink:
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

I have both an 84 200 and a 93 KDX 250 and I can tell you that the 200 was a much better woods weapon. CC is right when a 250 grabs hold you better hold on especially in the upper ranges you feel the hit. My 200 would bend around trees. The 200 seemed front-wheel driven where the 250 you have to power the back around especially in sand. I went from a pink seated RT 180 to the 200 and now the 250. It all depends on USABLE power. I can still probably go through the woods faster on the 200 still, and the 250 will wear me out much faster but the 9 year difference in suspension makes me take the 250 most of the time but the 200 is still great to take out.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
vinny

Post by vinny »

Back around 90-91 I had a 87 KDX200. The only mods it had were a DG silencer and boysen reeds. A buddy had a new KDX200 with a bunch of mods that I don't remember. Anyway my bike was always faster and more powerfull than his. Everyone of the people in my riding group loved the power of my bike. I got the bike used in extremely good condition and never had to tear it down the whole time I had it. it may have had other mods I didn't know about.

Vinny