KTM ride report

Got questions? We got answers....
layoutd

KTM ride report

Post by layoutd »

well, i finally got the EXC out on the trail today. I've had this thing for 2 weeks and have not been on dirt yet. :evil:

I was putting on new chains and sprockets. fixing a common seal leak, have the front forks worked, cutting the bars, putting the light and computer back on, and installing a Rekluse.

I have only been riding a motorcycle since spring of 2004, am 34 years old, good mtn biker prior, and lots of athletic and outdoor sports under my belt. Just giving a background for the report.

i am 5'8" 160

My KDX was in great shape and modded fine, KX front end, gnarly, blah, blah. i have it on a profile somewhere.

This KTM RIPS :prayer:

Before even kicking this thing over, you could feel it trying to get away. We have a nice 2 out of 5 four wheel road that takes us to our single track for about 2 miles. Thanks lord I had this warm up. Just a little blip of the throttle like i would do with the kdx, and i would feel like a Wile E Coyote cartoon. Head back looking at you while the bike and my arms are 200 yards up the road.

This bike felt like a bicycle with motor, weight wise. I could fling it around nicely. I actually could get my feet on the ground easier, nice for peddling situatutions.

when i got to the single track, it took some time getting used to a Rekluse, but if i did not have it running a gear higher, i would have easily looped that bike 6 times. Those autoclutches are nice. Get stuck on a slimy hill, stop, regroup and press on.

The suspension was way to tight for me, the previous rider wasan A level scrambler. Springing will be nice, i blew through a lot of corners and bounce all over the place. Funny what an extra 25 pounds of bike does for bumps.

All and all i think that the Rekluse was the big factor for now, but as i get used to the bike, i will grow into it. It is nice riding a bike that is that light with that much power. Makes you giggle on the trail sometimes. Weightlessness was a nice thing.

I would call the KDX a bulldog-touch bastard that goes anywhere and is hard to hurt.
The EXC is an Austrailian Cattle Dog-quick, nimble, pretty tough, and could bite your ass if you aren't paying attention to it

I am definitely stoked with my choice. I'll always have a special place in my heart for the KDX. She broke my cherry, but the crazy flame headed girl down the street with the streak got me drunk and raped me, but I liked it and papa wants some more.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

That was nice... 200? 250? 300? Which beast is it?
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Nice report. I felt the same way about my KX250. You will get used to all that power and soon.

One of the nicest things about a KDX is that you can grow with the bike. Both in the bike's performance as well as your mechanics skills. It's tough to hurt one with mods. Tough and over built; it's like a mule. You can't abuse it.

Other than suspension, you probably won't be wanting to mod that KTM much. On that note, good luck with getting the suspension to that great ride a KDX provides. Riding my KDX all day long for multiple days is great. It will keep up with any other bike out there on the single track. A KTM is not as versitile. It needs to be ridden a bit harder and that will wear on the rider. But boy, what a ride!!! Kick Ass!!

When you reach 50 years old, we'll be here to welcome you back to the KDX!! Ha!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

KTMs are amazing. A friend of mine offered to sell me his 2006 250exc in the summer when he upgrades to an 08 model. I love the feel of it and the power delivery is awesome. I havent ridden a 300 yet but I ride with a few folks who do ride them so that day'll come soon. One of them told me one day that he "doesnt want to think to pull a wheelie" and loves the massive low end they put out.

Races are always filled with KTMs around here though. That is really my only beef with them, it seems everybody and their brother has one. I like having my green bike to ruin the orange pumpkin patch. :mrgreen:
Skoalman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skoalman »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:KTMs are amazing. A friend of mine offered to sell me his 2006 250exc in the summer when he upgrades to an 08 model. I love the feel of it and the power delivery is awesome. I havent ridden a 300 yet but I ride with a few folks who do ride them so that day'll come soon. One of them told me one day that he "doesnt want to think to pull a wheelie" and loves the massive low end they put out.

Races are always filled with KTMs around here though. That is really my only beef with them, it seems everybody and their brother has one. I like having my green bike to ruin the orange pumpkin patch. :mrgreen:
That's why I'm riding a Husky and KDX now too -- you're right "everybody and their brother has one (KTM)." Believe me, I loved my 05, it felt like a mountain bike on steroids...but I just couldn't go to a harescramble race this year and be another Orange in the crowd.

Layoutd,

Congrats, you will absolutely love this bike!...If you can afford to keep your KDX, do it...I'm telling you, I really didn't appreciate it for what it was until it was gone. Of course, my Husky is my main ride/HS race bike, and my KDX is my backup and will definitely be used for enduro's this year.
Skoalman
2017 Beta 300RR
1997 Suzuki DR650
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
1983 Husqvarna WR 430
1982 Husqvarna WR 430
1979 Bultaco 370 Fontera
1979 Maico 400 GS
1978 Maico 400 GS
1979 KTM 400 GS
1978 KTM 400 GS
1977 Penton 250 GS
1977 Suzuki TS 185
1974 Rokon 340 RT
1973 DKW 125 Enduro
1971 Maico 400 GS
1970 Maico 250 GS
1968 Maico 360 MC
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

i got a 200

i would love to be able to keep the KDX, but with Christmas and all, the finances do not work.

when i went to my first enduro, i noticed that 90% of everything around me was orange. I figured they must be onto something. Also makes used parts readily available. Thought about a Gas Gas 200, but i am a used parts buyer, so KTM it was for me, plus i got a good deal from a riding partner that did not like it. He's a thumper.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

I rode the KTM (200/300) hype for awhile then the Thumper (426/250f) hype for awhile now I'm really enjoying myself on the KDX-200.

My riding buddies are really piss'd since they've spent over 7+ grand on 450's/525's and I've spent 4 on a 06 KDX and they can't shake me in the woods or desert.
Sometimes I get more enjoyment from that then the riding. :lol:

Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
MXOldtimer wrote:I rode the KTM (200/300) hype for awhile then the Thumper (426/250f) hype for awhile now I'm really enjoying myself on the KDX-200.

My riding buddies are really piss'd since they've spent over 7+ grand on 450's/525's and I've spent 4 on a 06 KDX and they can't shake me in the woods or desert.
Sometimes I get more enjoyment from that then the riding. :lol:

. . . like they say, it's - what - 95% rider? 'Might as well enjoy a KDX, I'm enthralled by mine
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

if the KDX had been 25 pounds lighter, i would have stayed. i am enthralled with the new EXC
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Do you have to ride it hard and shift it a lot? That was the impression I got over at KTMTalk about the 200.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

My little bit of time on my sisters 06 200 XC-W left me with the impression that to really run well you needed to ride it aggressively. Stuff that I can just plink my KDX thru required you to ride in attack mode to make it thru. But riding in attack mode is easier due to the general ergo's of the bike and over lightness in comparison to my KDX.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

The KTM 200's will putt putt all day long like a KDX, and have a mean streak a mile wide when you twist the throttle. I had never even seen a KTM in person, or knew much about them when I bought my 200. I purchased it, then went back the next day to pick it up after they set it up. I heard it running out back and I knew right away it was a serious machine. I said, "That thing sounds like a race bike.". The shop owner said,"It IS a race bike". It's universal knowledge the KTM 200's are the benchmark for 200cc 2-strokes. I told you they are like a mountain bike w/ a rocket strapped to them. :mrgreen: Enjoy your Pumpkin. :partyman:
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

>|<>QBB<
stringburner wrote:The KTM 200's will putt putt all day long like a KDX,
for sure. especially with that Rekluse.

i was in 2nd just putting around on our single track and when i would see a straight, cock and FIRE. Almost made me as giddy as snowboading the steep and deep.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'