Boyesen 607 Power Reeds

Got questions? We got answers....
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Boyesen 607 Power Reeds

Post by Jeb »

'Figured I'd say a thing or two 'bout the power reeds I installed for the benefit of anyone who don't have them and was wondering ( + I love 'em and had to tell everybody!). Got the slightly-used reeds from AZRick (actually it was the entire reed valve assy with the power reeds) and had the chance to try 'em out today.

My youngster begged me to take him to an mx track to meet up with his buddy and I caved. So I didn't get to climb any big hills but we rode for the better part of 6 hours, enough for me to feel satisfied with yet another outstanding deal off of kdxrider for a fantastic mod.

Bike: '03 220, gnarly rev (stock silencer), CEL needle clip position #3, 142MJ, 40PJ, 32:1 w/ Mobil 1 full-synthetic, Wiseco piston . . . and now 607 power reeds.

Snappier. One of the claims to the 607's fame is better throttle response and I certainly agree. Everywhere, but more prominent at low RPMs and right above midrange (that might have alot to do with my current jetting and the CEL needle). Revs quicker. :grin:

Gruntier. That's likely not a real word but a great way to describe things. Most noticeable climbing up the faces of the variety of jumps we hit today. My usual thing is to get up in the high end of the powerband when lofting, but I started trying a gear higher, bottom end of the powerband and YES, very different and very nice (I've done this before the 607s and it's definately different). I'd say this is gonna be a + on the hill-climbing!! :grin: :grin: (yes, that's two grins!) Off-topic comment on the suspension on the jumps - I didn't try to clear any tabletops or anything (and almost certainly never will) but the 0.40 springs/preload changes without a doubt saved my butt today and made for some great landings and improved handling, my turning got alot faster

Spoogier. My son noticed it, like, "Hey dad, look at the black juice!" It wasn't bad, just more of it. :neutral: So be it!

'Didn't have room to try a chop but really wanted to. It was quite warm for a late December day and I was tempted to swap out the 142 MJ for a 140 cause slow rolling the throttle without much load was a bit crackly.

Well worth having the reeds! Thanks Rick!!

Things just keep improving on my 220, no question! I don't even remember what the stock bike was like . . .

and with the 607s in place, I believe I'm now ready to have da' man from Oregon work some magic on the head and the carb - can't wait!!

Sorry for the length of the post . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Cool. It's always good to hear a ride report - it also helps add to the large library of info when searching for help. I always wanted to try the fmf torque reeds, ya know, just to be different. :wink:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I loves them reeds too! I also love long posts with detailed information.... great post Jeb! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

You don't have the carb & head mod yet? I think the reeds will perform even better after that. I'd bet that after you get your other mods done, swapping out the stock cage with the Boyesen will be somewhat more dramatic.
...yet another outstanding deal off of kdxrider
Part of the "pay it forward" mantra of KDXRider.net. I've gotten so much help (KX fork) and good advice (even from the sometimes-snarky CC), that I just hadta. And it gave me a good excuse to try the VF3 reeds which are a marginal step above the Boyesens.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Good report Jeb.

I guess I didn't give Rick the paper work for the reeds...or he didn't send them to you. :lol: The Boysen paperwork suggests re-jetting after installing the 607's. Typically the 607's will work better 1 jet size leaner both on the pilot and main than the stock reeds.

Glad they worked as well for you as they for me! :mrgreen:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC