Newbie questions

Got questions? We got answers....
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

It could be bearings dry or worn out
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

How long do you think it will last without any work? :lol:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
Steve Sims wrote: Big Chris Farley fan.
Than you must be familiar with some of his work on Saturday Night Live, such as " living in a van down by the river"

Great stuff, farley will be missed.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

"On a steady diet of government cheese" no less.... :lol:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

sorry, I had to post it.
Steve Sims

Post by Steve Sims »

Thanks Carvr. I will check those first thing. I can't laugh at anyone's spelling. I invented the word disission. Don't know where the hell that came from.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I wasn't poking at his spelling (it wasn't incorrect was it?) as much as I was expressing thanks for NOT calling me names just because he's upset that he bought the wrong bike.

:wink:

You kind'a have to twist things pretty tight to have a clue what I'm even talking about....but you will find that's pretty much always the case. :cry:

>|<>QBB<
2001 kdx 200 good bike wrote:What's the fix when your shock makes noise when you go up and down on it?
It depends...

The most likely reason the thing is making noise is grit/crud/dirt between the spring seats (ends) and the shock body or adjusting rings. As the bike goes up and down the spring tries to rotate in its seats..it being a spring and all. That will get you a scritching or squeeking noise.

If your shock has shown ANY signs of leakage (that doesn't need explanation, right?), it needs to be serviced asap. You will ruin inside parts of the shock if you run it dry.

Dump an open hose on the thing while you bounce it up and down as far/deep/hard as you can. That's your best shot at getting squeeking crud out of it without too much effort.

Better than that would be to put the bike on a stand (rear wheel off the ground). Get the bike in such a state that you can get two hands on the shock spring. The best way that comes to mind is to take the pipe off. You might be able to get a good enough hold on it with it all together.

Using that hose, dump water on it as you physically turn the spring. Other choices than water...a spray bottle with a detergent (better than soap..no, the two are not the same) mixed with some water will make the spring slippery. So...it will spin easier, but it will be harder to get a grip on the thing, too.

You could also loosen the lock ring and then 'unscrew' the seating ring by turning the shock. If you do that keep in mind you are changing the length of the spring. Either keep track of how many turns you take to put it back where it was or count the threads above the adjuster..to be able to put it back where it was.

If you have never set the race sag of the shock, now is an excellent time to do it. For one thing, the handling of your machine will improve considerably (if the race sag wasn't right before) and in the process any dirt/crud that is responsible for the noise will likely be dislodged.

HOW did this get from, 'What do you think about this bike?' to what is wrong with a noisy shock on a completely different bike?

Start a new thread with new questions!...especially from a different person...please?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Yea I might need a shop manual for all of this, this would be my first time dealing with the shock. I hate to admit it, but I probably don't maintain my bike correctly. Good thing I have the trusty KDX!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Write this down somewhere for future reference (maybe on the notes pages of your service manual?):
no maintenance man wrote:
I am glad my bike is a mess and it's going to cost me four times what it WOULD have had I taken care of it when I was SUPPOSED to!

It's always good to get what you asked for!!! I am SO happy!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Haha, that's great. I change all the fluids, do regular checks and I fix things when problems come up, but i'm probably not as careful as most people.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I thought you sold your bike! :cool:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Yes, Inda, very soon!
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Congrats Steve. You'll love the bike. There's not a better trail bike out there for even twice (or 3 times) the money. Only issue is that there is so much you can do to change the characteristics of the bike, it's hard to manage the tinkering time with the riding time. :wink:

Have fun! :mrgreen:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I believe he bought the bike. He posted on ThumperTalk.
He should have thanked us first, I dont care for TT :cool:
Last edited by 2001kdx on 02:28 pm Jan 01 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Sims

Post by Steve Sims »

Hey guys. I bought the bike thanks to your input. I got home from riding yesterday and within 1 hour was trying to log onto KDXRider to tell you guys. I was so excited about...and still am. I couldn't get onto this site. It kept coming back saying something about a bandwidth limit being exceded. I tried 6-7 times. So I went over to TT to thank a couple of folks for their comments.

But to set the record straight, I owe you guys for your helpful comments. I love the bike and don't regret the purchase for 1 second. I look very forward to getting to know the folks on this site. You were increadibly helpful with my questions and you were dead on with your analysis on the bike. It is a perfect fit for me. Light, easy to manage power, easy to crank up, the whole package.

So-thank you guys a lot!