Newbie questions

Got questions? We got answers....
Steve Sims

Newbie questions

Post by Steve Sims »

Hey guys. I'm new to this site (referred by Thumper Talk members). I am not a KDX owner yet, but am a couple of days away from making a decision on a 2004 220. The bike is extremely clean and in great shape. Price is $2300. Is this a good price and on the outside chance that I ride it a few times and decide it's not for me, would I be able to sell it without too much loss? I don't anticipate not keeping it, but I've never owned a 2 stroke and currently ride a DRZ400. I like woods riding and am looking for a lighter weight woods bike. The KDX comes highly recommended and when this one came up at what I think is a good price, I decided to take a close look. Thanks for any feedback. I need to make a decision pretty quickly. I'm 6'1", about 200#, novice rider looking to lug around on trails and hills. Not interested in racing or jumping. Looking for a low maintenance, light weight bike that is fun on tight trails and hills. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Steve Sims

Post by Steve Sims »

Foots, do you have any thoughts on the price of the bike and whether or not this is a decent deal? I figured if anyone would know, the members of a KDX web site would know for sure. Thanks for the response.

I am hoping that riding through the woods on the KDX will feel like a feather compared to the DRZ. The Suzuki is a good old ox, but it is an ox.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It seems a little stiff... but I haven't seen the bike either. Bikes are money pits and if you are trying to get your money back out of one then you need to take up vintage guitar collecting. :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Having spent a good amount of time on a KLX400 (green DRZ400) and my E series KDX there is no comparison between the two weight and flickabilitywise. You'll be a very happy man first time out.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Newbie questions

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Steve Sims wrote: . . . Price is $2300. Is this a good price and on the outside chance that I ride it a few times and decide it's not for me, would I be able to sell it without too much loss? . . .
For your comparison, I paid $2,300 for my '03 220. It is in fantastic shape and was used little. My opinion is that $2,300 is a fair price if it's in very good shape.

I followed used KDX prices for some time. You ought to be able to sell it if you don't end up keeping it. Heck, it's only two years old!!

But chances are you won't sell it . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Steve Sims

Post by Steve Sims »

I was never a fan of the color yellow, so I liked the KLX, but knew it was the same beast, just different color.

Inda, you think $2300 is a little steep? It's an '04 220 and it is exceptionally clean. Original graphics and stuff and they all like great. I have been looking around on traderonline and most of them run in similar shape and age have asking prices of around $2750. Doesn't mean they will get that.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

NOS '05's can be had for $3,300 or less out the door I believe. Check local dealers first.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I thought that $2300 was a bit high, but yet maybe not since the KDX is No Longer Available. Not that a left over can not be found, but if found how far of a drive is it. I think it is a fair price, taken that it is well maintained.

"referred by Thumper Talk members"
Not bad Vince
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I think 2300 for a 2 year old KDX is an excellent deal if the bike is in good shape. In this part of the country I think it would bring 3 to 4 hundred more. Is there extras on the bike like pipe and/or silencer or O-ring chain??
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Yeah,
In some parts of the country they just don't appreciate a KDX, I guess.
I just bought my abused but low-time 01 220 for 2300 and walked away feeling pretty good. You get sooo much riding time out of these bikes a couple hundred here or there don't mean squat IMO, and the year model doesn't matter to me since they're all the same anyways....
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Steve, you sound like the perfect candidate for a kdx. I'll take a bit high of a price on a nice, well kept bike than getting a cheap bike that has some issues.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

$2700 out the door is a steal, I'd say. Comparing such a deal to others, you're handicapped to start with.

$2300 seems pretty good to me.

Re: '...extras on the bike like.... O-ring chain??'

The 220 comes with an O-Ring chain. The 200 doesn't.

The KDX is a tank. You can take that a couple of ways. For one, it's nowhere near as nimble as, say, a punkin 200EXC. It's 'thicker' and 'tankier'. The KDX feels considerably heavier than it actually IS heavier.

The KDX will also last and last and last without more than your usual dirtbike maintenance..which is to say...a fair bit.

Something to keep in mind with the 220...they have a piston problem. Have had for years! Kaw has never fixed it. The OEM piston tends to come apart. All the time? No. Only if heavily modified (as is often said)? No. 220's in stock trim have failed within a few rides. 220's with years and thousands of miles on them with the OEM piston and somewhat modified are still running fine.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Maybe there has been a topend done already? Ask. Ask specifically what kind of piston was used. IF a topend WAS done and an OEM piston was used, the owner is, simply, a moron. He/she/they/it should have certainly known better.

Replacing the piston isn't a big deal. Will take you a couple hours, cost maybe $150.

If there have been things changed/added, try to get a complete list of what.

There is a 'new bike prep' that should be done on the KDX. If it was NOT done, (I'd count on it not being done), the first thing you need to do with your new bike is take it apart (rear suspension linkage, swingarm, steering head) clean and properly lubricate (waterproof grease like BelRay) the thing. Some time spent now will save you $$ and more time later!!

Get it!!

It's not a too-hunny, but, it'll do! :hmm:

Welcome to the best (well, pretty much the only any more) KDX site there is!

Lessee.....there's fork maintenance to be done. Put in some REAL fork oil, take out a couple of the 24mm shims in your base valve stack. You will need some decent fork springs while you're at it. Set up the suspension first off..set the rear sag. Get a one piece handlebar clamp. That will keeo you stock bars in shape for a couple of teensy bad get-offs. Heck, just replace 'em! They bend like cooked spaghetti anyway. And what on EARTH is that puny little 33mm carb doin' on that thang??

Oh yeah...this is gonna be FUN!!!

OK. I'm done messin' with 'ya.....for now.

As you describe it, it's a darn fine deal. You will love it!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:
. . . replacing the piston isn't a big deal. Will take you a couple hours, cost maybe $150 . . .
Steve - If you go with the 220 you're gonna want to put in another piston, just do some searches - on this site as well as others - and you'll read about horror stories and even see a few photos.

IF you are apprehensive about something like replacing a piston: replacing the piston isn't too tough - I did it and that automatically qualifies a significant portion of the general bike-riding population!!

And for Pete's sakes, pay no nevermind to the "it's not a two-hunny" comments from the 200 owners, they are very heavily biased!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

I say if it looks, rides, feels, and sounds good, It probably is! Hell, I spent almost half that much for a real nice 91' kdx250. You've been around bikes, and saw what the out the door price on it was. If it is as nice as you say, dont miss this oppotunity! Ive rode em all. You WONT be dissapointed. Good luck. Let us know. Rick
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Steve Sims

Post by Steve Sims »

Alright guys gals and goats, you talked me into it. Bought it today. Out the door price ran a little over $2500 due to all good old dealer fees (it was a trade to a local dealer-guys there I know and trust), but I am feeling really good about it at this point. I have studied every square inch of the bike and unless I am missing something big time, it is in pristine condition, so I can't wait to get to know her better. I will pet my new bike, talk to it, love it...you're a naughty bike aren't you, my naughty little bike.....sorry, had a Tommy Boy flashback. Big Chris Farley fan.

I can't wait to get it out and ride. Thanks a million for all of the comments from you guys. Sucks not being able to test bikes before you buy em, so sites like this are invaluable. I will visit often to learn more about my new trail buddy, stuff like the piston issue. Thanks again gang. It would have been a lot harder dicission w/o all the info you provided!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:
There is a 'new bike prep' that should be done on the KDX. If it was NOT done, (I'd count on it not being done), the first thing you need to do with your new bike is take it apart (rear suspension linkage, swingarm, steering head) clean and properly lubricate (waterproof grease like BelRay) the thing. Some time spent now will save you $$ and more time later!!
Or you could just put it off and RIDE! Shoot what could go WRONG? <<< CLICK!

...WRONG AGAIN? <<< CLICK!

Speaking of which I'm way over due!
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Steve Sims

Post by Steve Sims »

Wibbens, those are some nasty photos. Drives the point home. How old was this bike when it happened?

I will read postings on this and heed your warnings. Thanks for the heads-up. Can't wait to dig in and start all this stuff.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Well, at least he didn't spell biASSED incorrectly.... :wink:

Good deal!!

Wibby's bike was pretty much new to HIM. It pretty much came like that. There was a recent thread about a suspension greasing job that was done only because. Everything worked OK..he just wanted to make sure it was OK. He spent a lot of time banging, heating, soaking, and I would guess cussin' and swearin' before he finally got it apart!

Test a couple of things. With the rear wheel off the ground, check for side to side movement of the wheel. Not slipping on the axle axis, but like you're turning the wheel left and right. If you feel ANY movement, the rear wheel bearings need to be replaced. Not a big deal. It's part of what are 'consumables' on a dirtbike.

While looking at the bottom shock mount touch/release the rear wheel to the ground. It helps to have someone else do the bouncing while you do the looking. If you see ANY movement of the shock IN the Unitrack knuckle, the bottom shock bearing needs to be replaced. Depending on what riding conditions the bike has been in (like wet) a KDX eats bottom shock bearings like popcorn. I've replaced three a year. That's a long story for another thread, but do check it.

Have fun with your naughty bike!!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

What's the fix when your shock makes noise when you go up and down on it?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Rebuild
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****