Fuel contamination and storage

Got questions? We got answers....
AZRickD

Fuel contamination and storage

Post by AZRickD »

I'd like to open this up to all fuel contamination issues, but first mine:

I accidentally dropped a few small pellets of "hot glue gun" plastic into a five-gallon jug (with 40:1 premix). Ooops.

It's only $20, and that's not the point. Since "hot glue" appears to be made from ethylene vinyl acetate, is there a problem with running this through the fuel system? That is, will the EVA which is dissolved in the fuel begin to clog my jets and other carb and fuel system parts? My google search doesn't pull up any scary hits.

On another issue, I was privvy to a little discussion amongst 4T and 2T riders. The 2Ters wouldn't use any fuel that sat around, while some of the 4Ters had no problem using gas that had been sitting around for months (in the heat of Phoenix, no less).

What is the issue with the 2Ter's fuel concerns? Did it have to do with the pre-mix seprarating as well as the normal degradation of the fuel?

Any other issues?

Thanks,

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I think premix actually preserves fuel

When we all got together for the State Of Jefferson Ride, my bike had 8 month old gas in it, it ran fine as far as I could tell

Then here a couple months ago my bike sat for a year and five months, never touched it once the whole time. After draining the bowl it started up fine and ran no different had it had fresh gas in it
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
maicocpa

Post by maicocpa »

If I recall correctly gasoline stored in an open container or in plastic containers (that includes fuel tanks) loses about one octane point every month. After a year your 92 octane pump gas is a nice 80 octane. I wouldn't run that in any of my bikes. Maybe my lawn mower.
2006 KDX 200, Bunch o' Maicos, Bunch o' kids' bikes
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Guess my KDX don't need anything better than 80 then :supz:

You can usually smell when fuel is bad, it gets a sour smell to it. But I've never had any premix get that way

BTW, I run premix through my mower and it starts every season no problem, been 7 years and it's still on the original plug :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Any comments on my hot glue gun (EVA) contamination? I wonder if that would stay dissolved in the fuel and pass through without incident or would it start to form hot-glue stalagtites on my pilot jet?

Rick
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I don't know to be honest but I personally wouldn't do it if thats any help. :rolleyes:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Fuel contamination and storage

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
AZRickD wrote: I accidentally dropped a few small pellets of "hot glue gun" plastic into a five-gallon jug (with 40:1 premix). Ooops.
You got to at least explain this in further detail. :mrgreen:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

It's all innocent.

I opened up the lid to see why it wasn't fitting properly. I thought I had it cross-threaded or maybe something caught in the threads. I was by my workbench where I had been using the hot glue gun the week before. The hot glue had solidified as droplets. Some were stuck on the table, others were rolling about freely. When I reached for a Q-tip, a couple glue-droplets fell to the ground and a couple-plus fell into the open container.

Total glue volume? Guessing... maybe three peas worth.

Rick
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Gas melts hot glue?

You can't just run the fuel through a filter and get the droppings out?

I've not dropped glue in my tank to know...but I'd guess it doesn't 'melt' when it hits the gas.

...not that I have a clue what ethylene vinyl acetate is...

Just take it out!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

It doesn't "melt." But it appears to be dissolving.

I'm conducting a secret scientific experiment exclusively for members of KDXRider.net members.

I've poured a cup or two of pre-mix into a wine bottle. I then squirted a stream of hot hot-glue down the bottle. The snake of glue didn't "melt," but as time went on (many minutes), the fuel went from crystal clear to a little foggy, and the long string of glue that had solidified in the fuel began to break apart. The fuel is even more murky now.

Next, I will drop in some cooled globs of glue into fresh pre-mix to see what happens over night. If this turns milky, as well, it means that the plastic has solublized and I'd bet would quickly deposit itself on my tender carb parts.

I'm betting that I'll have to dump my $20 worth of pre-mix. Don't worry. I'll dispose of it safely in my neighbor's pool.

Rick
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Rick,

What you are doing is reverse engineering the coffee at Denny's.

Please stop.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
AZRickD wrote:Any comments on my hot glue gun (EVA) contamination? I wonder if that would stay dissolved in the fuel and pass through without incident or would it start to form hot-glue stalagtites on my pilot jet?

Rick
How much EVA does it have in it? The higher the % the worse it will dissolve . . . your gas is TRASH . . .

RE: Denny's coffee - that explains a lot . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Experiment #2 shows some solublizing of the pellets. Not much, but some.

Keep in mind that the test bottle has about 10 ounces while the 5-gallon jug has over six times that amount.

How much EVA does it have? A few grams, maybe. Call it 5 grams in 16,640 ml of fuel.

0.03% or so? 3 parts per 10,000.

How does a guy with no backyard (lawnmower) dispose of 5 gallons of bad gas?

eBay?

Rick :rolleyes:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

A match! :roll:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Strain it then put it in you car after a fillup to dilute it as much as possible. I doubt it would get picked up by the pump, but don't quote me on that. Keep your tank above 3/4 for a while.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

How about...filter the stuff out as soon as it happened, before it dissolved?

Oh..yeah...too late.

Re: 'how to?'

What Inda said. Burn it. Tell your neighbor it's a new backyard fun thing to do at BarB-Qs!! Ask KDXQuebec for some flirty French sounding terms for 'pool'e flambeau'!!

...I like Denny's coffee!!

Consider the source

AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Great advice, which would require one of the following...

1) a time machine
2) heavy fines by the local constabulary
3) expensive fuel injector replacement.

Maybe I should get the key to the local water treatment plant ?? :naughty:

Rick
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Helll.... RUN IT!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'd just run it

Hell, what's the worst that can happen? :wink:

constabulary ? What kinda messed up place you livin? :lol:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The 'heavy fine' part meaning for burning it?

I'm glad I live out in the woods. If I actually ever got the hare-brained idea to take a bit of solvent I'd used to clean a paintbrush and burn it (as opposed to...what exactly?), I actually WOULD do exactly that.

And that big burn pile of brush in the back that I burn every year? What would you suppose gets THAT started? Not any waste engine oil, I can promise you that! Sheesh...what do you think I use to keep the dust down on my 400' driveway?

Not any waste engine oil, I can promise you THAT, too!

No, really.

Hey! Who put this wire bundle in my burn pile ashes!!! :blink:

BTW, I looked up solublizing. No such thing exists, so IF you solublize the whole mess down the terlit and some place down the street pretty soon blows up and YOU get asked what you DID..you can say, 'I didn't do ANYthing!' and be tellin' the absolute truth about it.!!

Hey summore!!! Mr. Wibbens' new avatar looks very happy!!!
Last edited by canyncarvr on 06:56 pm Dec 28 2006, edited 3 times in total.

Consider the source