Opinion on graphic

Got questions? We got answers....
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

>|<>QBB<
tha_reids wrote:thebleakness,
I can print a raster image on my 720dpi LG. format printer but would need a vector for a contour cut w/ a .125 bleed. A design like mine needs to be line art (vector). Can you post a jpg of it on here?
I would like to but I havent gotten my number for this year yet. Due to my class I would need a green background. I'll get on making some design once I get the number, find out about that green you have. The printed out decals look really nice though. Did you make them in photoshop or how did you design them?
tha_reids
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by tha_reids »

thebleakness,
If your serious about designing your own see if you can get a hold of Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator. Maybe a 30 day trial. These programs are like AutoCAD in a way as they deal with control points (nodes) on a x,y axis. Photoshop deals with pixels and every pixel will have its own color assigned.
Vector is like "connect the dots" and raster is "paint by number".
There are also some good tutorials online once you find a program.

Hope that helps.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Here's where I'm up to... Work in progress... :blink: Not as easy as I thought it would be. :rolleyes:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
91_kdx250

Post by 91_kdx250 »

excellent work, its good to see some more 250 owners as you can tell from my username i have a 91 250 and couldn't be more pleased with it cheerz
my bigest fear in life is that when i die my wife sells my bikes for what i told her i paid for them
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Nice decals, I'm sold. Many on this site have put on or are going to put KX USD forks on there KDX's. Any chance of making a decal or 2 (each side) displaying such. Maybe on fork gaurds.FWIW
If you ride OVER your head. You WILL land on IT!!!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
it175 wrote:Nice decals, I'm sold. Many on this site have put on or are going to put KX USD forks on there KDX's. Any chance of making a decal or 2 (each side) displaying such. Maybe on fork gaurds.FWIW
Good idea but due to all the different fork guard and mount combos some for the upper fork tubes would prob be better. :wink:

I hope you take paypal Mr Reid... :wink: :mrgreen:
Last edited by KDXer on 11:03 am Dec 29 2006, edited 1 time in total.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

In clear... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Ok well as it turns out L and R radiator shrouds are different. The left (clutch and shift lever) side one is longer towards the bottom of the radiator. I will make templates of both the decals how they are on my shrouds and you can decide on the final shape and size you want. The reason I say that is because the N-style ones Vince and I have are quite intricate in the cut. It would be alot easier for you to make one that covers the flatter parts of the shround only. I will send em over and let you see what can be done, your the expert. I have got the R side template about as good as I think I'm gonna get it, so works begins on the other one.

I have been looking on ebay for cheap shroud graphics or even shrouds I can buy and send ya, no luck..

Surely someone on here has a set of decals they could loan for the cause ?!? I'll even pay the return shipping. :mrgreen:

What about the backings you peel off the decals, anything would be easier than making the templates, hehehe, ANYONE ?!?

tha_reids
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by tha_reids »

Hey fellas,
Been working on things little by little.
Could not get on this site since Friday! Had me worried.

Here is a shroud shot
Bad photo
Front
Sorry for the lg. photos!

I have some slight changes to make but overall I'm satisfied.
one shroud is approx. 1" taller than the exhaust side. [sarcasm]I'm sure our bikes totally benefit tremendously from that extra 1" piece of plastic down there[/sarcasm] :doh:
I just saw your post KDXer as I'm writing this.
Ya know, with the equipment I use to print these, I have a 11.8" limit in one direction. I would like to make that the height, like the set for the 250.
So I work within a 11.8" by X length (X is endless) area. The 250 shroud graphic is only a 20 linear inch print which lowers the final cost.

As far as "what we can do" it's endless. Fork graphic, no problem.

KDXer,
You could just flip the smaller template, line it up, add some paper to the bottom without altering the template, then trace the additional area at the bottom. I will still see the small on one side and the large one on the other side.

Keep up the good work!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

They look great. I tried that but it didn't seem to wanna work, I'll have another go shortly. Should have them to you in a week or so, fingers crossed.

tha_reids
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by tha_reids »

I'm also working on a custom FMF decal that will match the graphic color scheme.

Fork graphic:
What would you like it to read?
You want it to say "riders choice" in pink and purple with some nasty carbon fiber "look" background :lol: J/K.
At least those horrible oem graphics kept the forks from getting trashed.
The anodized blue is darker where exposed to the sun which is the opposite of what you would expect . I guess the underlying aluminum has darkened a bit and is noticeable because of the transparent properties of the coating.
Someone should post a new thread in the KX fork swap forum and get a general consensus. Get some ideas flowing.

KDXer,
Are you making a side plate template? My side plate was 1/4" taller on one side. It was only a 1/4" added to the top back corner but the front of the plates were identical. I guess the added height is due to the exhaust can "bulge". No need to make two patterns for that so I just figured where it needed to be added and did the enlarging in the art file.

Need to order a kx rear fender
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

THOSE ARE AWSOME!! It is amazing what you can do with computers if you know what you are doing.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Nah I am working on the radiator shrouds at the moment, pretty much done.

Here's an old shot of the template and a shot of how you could make it easier to make.

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'm lovin it! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I will endeavour to get a template of the side numberplates and the fork decals for the upper fork legs. They will work with all USD forks. I reckon kdxrider.net written downways along the upper fork leg would be sweet with clear backing. :supz: Similar shape etc to these.

tha_reids
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by tha_reids »

While KDXer is busy working his magic (thanx KDXer) is anyone itchin
for some "D" 91-94 250 graphics?
I need to guage the quantity of my first run and make sure the materials are in place. Tomorrow I'll make sure I work on the pricing ,options, and shipping.

If you would like a set or partial set, please pm me with details.

Thanks
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

I AM!!! I AM!!! I will pm you as soon as I pay for Christmas, it is too cold here to put them on anyway so I have a little time. They look so much better than OEMs. :lol: It is a good thing I have a new helmet to block out the laughs from the guys that have replaced their graphics already. :oops:
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Mr Reid it's my pleasure. Just curious, how are the decals cut out once printed ?? A super dooper cutter, chopper, slicer gizmo or schnissors ?? :mrgreen:

Is there anyone out there with a 89-94 KDX200 who is willing to help out and make some paper templates for the shrouds and side plates ??

Cheers,
Trev...

BTW I've done the fork decal templates just working on the side plates. Should have them done and posted in a few days tops. :partyman:

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'll make a set of templates from my plastic but they might not be the best because my plastic is trashed. Anybody with an E series that has nice plastic?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
tha_reids
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by tha_reids »

Hey KDXer,
I don't know about superdooper, just super expensive.
Set-up we have is 25k for the print/cut. Its not much bigger than a large all-in-one printer :wink: Its a short run system so its plot cut with a swivel blade on xy plotter.

Oh crap, need to get to work :shock: