EFM auto clutch question ??

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXer
Supporting Member

EFM auto clutch question ??

Post by KDXer »

Just wondering what I need to send to Garry ?? Basket ?? Basket and plates ?? I won a clutch assembly on ebay and just wondered what exactly I need to box up when it comes time to send it...

Cheers,
Trev...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :BCA:AU:11

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... IBSA:AU:11

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Trev,
I sent EFM everything, including all the washers, spacers, plates, etc. Even the clutch cover. (He will install a plug where the lever arm goes through the cover.) That way, I didn't misplace anything and when Garry sent it back, I had everything assembled in the order I knew it needed to be in when re-installing it. When I got the clutch back, I just spread everything back out and installed everything in it's proper order.

Good Luck!!

BTW nice buy on those auctions!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Awesome, thanks Jerry. Do you know if he supplies new plates or whether thats additional to the price ??

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

He did not supply new plates for me. I suppose he could with an additional charge if you wanted him to though. I got mine off eBay. Be careful in putting the clutch plates back in. I messed up and warped a plate due to inattention to detail. I think it's documented somewhere on this site.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Thanks again buddy, I have read and re-read all your posts regarding the EFM and shouldn't have too much trouble come installation time. I think I will get a new full set of plates and send them along with it.

Cheers for the help Jez, :prayer:

Trev....

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I only read the EFM posts once..and I could have told you what to send, too..... :wink:

Holy Cow! That's a steal!! ..as long as the parts are OK. I hope you are going to take the clutch apart and at least look for cracks in the basket, especially at the bolt bosses. Make sure the threads are good.

I DON'T know what the famous inner/outer washer config is for the EFM. The two that are commonly missed/forgotten/lost? Don't miss that snafu. Come to think of it, you already experienced that issue, right?

If you're going to put in new plates, certainly get them now! Obviously the setup of the autoclutch will vary with plate thickness..might as well let Garry set the thing up the way you're going to use it. His advertised clutch price does NOT include plates. His website used to say that.

:hmm: Website looks different. I'm sure his work is better than his webmaster's spelling!

I'm anxious to hear how you like it!

Going to a hand operated rear brake?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:I only read the EFM posts once..and I could have told you what to send, too..... :wink:
Well the biggest problem I have is I think my memory bank is FULL... :blink: I mean the more I read/learn the more I seem to forget. I tend to skip alot of stuff with the mentality that its there to search when I DO need it. Like that thread of yours about fuel/oil ratios, I've read it but if I tried to understand it I'd be lucky to remember how to tie my shoes once done. :rolleyes: It makes my head hurt. :grin:
canyncarvr wrote:Holy Cow! That's a steal!! ..as long as the parts are OK. I hope you are going to take the clutch apart and at least look for cracks in the basket, especially at the bolt bosses. Make sure the threads are good.
Yeah I thought it was a bargain too. :mrgreen: I certainly will be checking now I know what to look FOR. :wink: Thanks. I will also clean it, file the fingers if needed and remove the old plates prior to shipping.
canyncarvr wrote:I DON'T know what the famous inner/outer washer config is for the EFM. The two that are commonly missed/forgotten/lost? Don't miss that snafu. Come to think of it, you already experienced that issue, right?
Nope wasn't me. It twas me who couldn't figure out how to get to the big nut holding the basket on, off. :oops: Yanno that lil bearing thing that just sits in there. :wink: Is one of em the one that tends to stick to the back of the basket ?? The other one being ?? :? **EDIT** These ones ?? P/N 92200-1238 ??
canyncarvr wrote:If you're going to put in new plates, certainly get them now! Obviously the setup of the autoclutch will vary with plate thickness..might as well let Garry set the thing up the way you're going to use it. His advertised clutch price does NOT include plates. His website used to say that.
Cool thanks for that also, I anticipated new plates would be in order or on order.
canyncarvr wrote:I'm anxious to hear how you like it!
It will more 'n likely be mid-end of 07 but you WILL hear about it.
canyncarvr wrote:Going to a hand operated rear brake?
Of course... hehehe :rolleyes: :mrgreen:
Last edited by KDXer on 10:02 am Dec 27 2006, edited 1 time in total.

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

As long as you're sending it in, IF it needs to be filed on, ask Garry to do it. That way it will for sure be square, flat, straight and all that stuff.

He may well 'true' the basket fingers as PART of his process.

1. I'd expect a lot of baskets he gets are notched at least SOME.
2. He's likely to realize that returning a product that works is his best advertisement, so why return a clutch that has dented fingers?

Didn't look up the part numbers, but there are TWO washers that are often problematic (due to the worker person). One 'outside' (under) the basket, one on the INside of the basket.

I would assume the OUTside washer goes back in. Don't know if the INside one would. Ski's write-up on it probably covers that.

Yeah. My memory bank is full, too!! There is barely room for both things I remember IN there!! Everything else just kind'a piddles out onto the floor. That makes me pretty much always standing in a puddle'a piddle. :neutral:

Consider the source

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Thanks for the help Brad and Jerry. :wink: Much appreciated. :partyman:

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Guess ol KDXer lost the strength in his clutch hand.

There has to be an exercise for this! :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Ahhh I think you might be onto something...... I never had these problems when I was single...... :hmm: :lol:

Jealousy is a curse. :razz: :lol:

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Ski is the one that knows the EFM clutch. Be sure to run engagement questions thru him. As I recall he ended up with different washers in different places AND installed in different directions to get his autoscrunch working to his satisfaction.

His 250 clutch seemed to work great near as I could tell...from a distance...watching him ride it.

....he never let me touch the thing!

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I offered. I just didn't insist! Ha!!

Trev, your KDX is modded enough to manage the autoclutch just fine. Once you get it, read closely about how to set the engagement point using the spring washers. (a spring washer is a washer that looks warped.) Also, read carefully on the DIRECTION the warp goes when adding or removing any while adjusting.

Also, don't do what Doug did; put two steel plates back-to-back. Ha!! He dang near melted that clutch cover on his KX500. Ended up only discoloring the plates a little before we corrected the problem. (25 miles of riding). That kind of tells you how strong and sturdy that autoclutch is if a KX500 can't destroy it even if assembled wrong.

Hand rear brake is awesome. No one will be able to touch you on technical trails...... unless they are Americans of course!!!

BTW, come to California around May or June. I'm planning a little party.
Jerry

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Cheers Jerry. It will be a few months before it gets sent to Garry. I am trying to take as much in as possible to save you from the dumb questions come installation/setup time.

I was kinda hoping it would come back from Garry ready to bolt in and go as I am yet to tackle a clutch swap. I think I have read enough to get through it relatively unscathed though.

Thanks for the invite Jerry, we will have to wait and see how things go in the new year. Your probably sick of hearing me say this but.... Mel and I wish Denise and yourself the very best of luck with the new development and our kindest wishes for a happy new year. You guys deserve it. :partyman:

I am really contemplating replacing my KG-35 with a KG-30 and replacing my VForce2 with a VForce3... What do ya's reckon, worth it ?? :blink:

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I think you'd have to work harder at holding on...
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

May or June?

I thought the party was late summer!!??

Oh...I get it...the three months AFTER the fact is when I'M supposed to show up!! After it's all over!!

KayD..I think you will enjoy the -30 better with your bike modified to run as well as it does on the bottom-end. Well, I do anyway.

V-Force3? Absolutely!!

As long as you hijacked your own thread....do you know how your -2 was configured? There are hi/lo tension reeds AND hi/lo tension stops.

I don't mean you ADJUST the stops..there is that TOO. I mean there are completely different stops that themselves have a hi/lo adjustment.

They didn't 'come' that way, but I much preferred the lo/lo/lo (lo reed, lo stop set TO lo) setup. Yes, I tried the others.

Consider the source