Quick Kickstart Question

Got questions? We got answers....
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quick Kickstart Question

Post by Jeb »

There's a 92/93 KX250 kickstart assy (boss and all) on Stealbay. A search yielded confirmation that a 97 kx250 kickstart lever fits. How 'bout the 92/93 lever?

buykawasaki shows the following part numbers: for a '97 it's 13064-1178, and for a '93 it's 13064-1161. And they look terribly similar.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

What they look like, especially on a diagram from BuyKawi doesn't mean anything.

The part numbers may be different AND still swap, but I wouldn't count on it.

Neither do I know one way or the other, either!

From the pic (from 'keep it roostin'?), it looks cast to me. AND it looks to be LONG like the OEm kicker, too.

So...why bother?

Cheap is good..well inexpensive is anyway.

'Known to work' is good, too.

Sorry, but no knowledge from this quarter.

OR nickel, either! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

If the price is good, it may be worth the risk. Besides, you will gain the knowledge and add to the site by posting your results either way! adding to the information on little things like this really makes our site what it is; a wealth of information!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

He's saying, 'Guinea Pig!' don'tcha know!!

Let us know if it was worth the $8 shipping!!

Consider the source

Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

^ If the final auction price is low it'll be worth $8 shipping !

I didn't think much about changing the kickstarter until I got myself in a "snag" last weekend. I'll skip all the details and just say that I now see why others replace the OEM piece.

I ended up bending my shift lever too (seemed like it bent very easily). I did a search on this site and found several replacement suggestions - might change things up here as well if I keep bending the stocker.

One more question - I'm hijacking my own thread! - what size Keihin did the 93 KX250 have on it? 'Haven't been able to find that piece of info.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

38mm I think....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:38mm I think....
I'm guessing that's TOO big to install on my 220 . . .

CLICK FOR PICS!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Man your bikes must be a PITA to start or very Hi-comp. I couldn't imagine bending the stock, steel kicker. :?

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The OEM kicker is cast just like (apparently) the one you are looking at is cast.

You're setting yourself up for another snag.

38mm is what Ron said in the KX250 sticky throttle thread...the hijacked one what didn't start out that way. :wink:

IF you happen to try an MSR shifter, be sure to check its tightness real soon after putting it on and tightening it 'good enough' the first time. I've got about five rides on my MSR now..it's still fine. Did bend my rear brake lever into a pretzel..again..last weekend. Second lever, too! (Sorry ski!)

Re: '..couldn't imagine..'

:hmm:
Happens all the time. Just one of the reasons to get rid of it.

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Get an auto clutch and hand operated rear brake and your bent brake pedal troubles are over.
You kicked and screamed about getting KX forks and eventually you did. Now don't wait so long to get the auto clutch.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:Get an auto clutch and hand operated rear brake and your bent brake pedal troubles are over.
You kicked and screamed about getting KX forks and eventually you did. Now don't wait so long to get the auto clutch.
I have my eye on a 2nd hand H model clutch assem. locally that I will send over to Gary if I win it. :supz:

RE: flimsy kicker, Are you guys kicking your bike THAT hard or what ?? I can't understand how you bend them, before being RB'd I could kick mine over by hand with gloves on. :? Is it just age or use ??

Yours confused,
Trev... :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
KDXer wrote:>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:
. . . RE: flimsy kicker, Are you guys kicking your bike THAT hard or what ?? I can't understand how you bend them, before being RB'd I could kick mine over by hand with gloves on. :? Is it just age or use ??

Yours confused,
Trev... :mrgreen:
Trev: my perspective - it's not compression or the degree of difficulty in kick-starting my bike back at the trailer or on flat ground that's a problem. For me it's the geometry of the thing under less-than-ideal conditions.

I had a pretty good spill coming out of a deep mudhole where I basically looped the bike after being "misdirected", by the sliding, and into some brush (yeah, hah hah hah - at least my 9 yr-old son thought so). The shift lever had bent under the mag cover so I couldn't get her into neutral to move the bike. So I started kicking the mud-slickened willow stick and couldn't get a decent kick until I sortof wore a swath that the kicker was trying to create. It wasn't JUST the kick starter itself - I was trying to start the bike in gear muddy and all - but all of a sudden the darn thing seemed like it stuck way out. And the bend near the top aided in foot slippage.

The KX kickstarter seems like it would "help".

CLICK FOR PICS!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's where you slow down... take inventory.... move the bike away from the crap you got yourself in... make adjustments.... clean away offending material and start fresh.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Ahhh I think I got it. It doesn't so much bend backwards but sort of sidewaays, no ??

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The part of the hockey stick that hits the puck...where your foot sets..gets wonkered outwise. Now the place where you PUT your foot is no longer 'square' to your foot..so your foot even more easily slips off the thing than it used to.

The weight and length of the OEM kicker is a pain, too. The weight causes the detent spring/ball to quit working, then the thing is turning 'out' at the most inopportune times! Then, as FAR as it sticks out, the OEM kicker tried breaking my leg in half more'n once.

That length also means you have to lift your foot a whole lot higher to reach it. It also means it's going to get hung up a whole lot easier on 'stuff'.

Altogether the OEM kicker is a PITA.

I don't know how this can be news. Why all the fuss you figure about aftermarket kickers? Not just 'cuz it's another thing to buy......

An aluminum kicker is worth the trouble. I wouldn't waste my time on another of the same kind'a thing just 'cuz it came off a different model of bike. Repeat...repeat..and repeated.

Consider the source

Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|QBB<[/url]
canyncarvr wrote:

. . . I wouldn't waste my time on another of the same kind'a thing just 'cuz it came off a different model of bike. . .
'The kickstarter I'm eyeballing - as far as I can tell - looks quite a bit different than the OEM . . . how much different is the "perfect" one from this '93 model rig?

***EDIT***

For clarification. BTW, it sure was darned easy to get the picture pasted! :wink:

CLICK FOR PICS!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:That's where you slow down... take inventory.... move the bike away from the crap you got yourself in... make adjustments.... clean away offending material and start fresh.
Your comment is well taken . . .

BUT . . .

you had to be there, it was messy! I had to deal with my bike AFTER dealing with the JR80. You see, we were "racing" (yes I know, come on JEB a 220 vs an 80?) and ended up trying to cross the bottom of what we call a "hollow" here in the forgotten and often ridiculed Appalachain area. I "made" it - across the mud hole. The youngin got stuck (his footpegs were literally buried). Once I got him out I was about half-whipped. Taking the bike out of the crap I was in would've been tough because I couldn't get it in neutral and in a TOUGH spot. So I tried kicking it in place and it pretty much tore me up! I ended up bending the shift lever out with a screwdriver and a stick then worked from there.

Oh, and as soon as I got my son going he raced to the top, without me, claiming victory!!

CLICK FOR PICS!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Thanks for your time and effort to reply Brad. Ummm nah its not well, new news to me, I have seen it mentioned several times but just really wondered about the bending part. I think I was just picturing the kicker bending backwards over the peg or similar rather than the 'foot rest' section. Everything you said makes perfect sense now and a shorter lever has alway been on my 'to do' list. Thanks for clearing it up for me. :wink:

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Can't you just vise it, heat it and bend her back in place?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****