Quick Kickstart Question

Got questions? We got answers....
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

I just got my 250 a few months ago, and noticed the kickstarter spins out too far, aiming you foot out a bit. And yes, one wet day, i slipped off about three iimes, bruising my inner calf. The back stop on the kickstarter is worn down, and it comes out too far, putting my foot at an angle. Im going to take it to work and add a little weld to it where it is supposed to stop.
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
Rick wrote:I just got my 250 a few months ago, and noticed the kickstarter spins out too far, aiming you foot out a bit. And yes, one wet day, i slipped off about three iimes, bruising my inner calf. The back stop on the kickstarter is worn down, and it comes out too far, putting my foot at an angle. Im going to take it to work and add a little weld to it where it is supposed to stop.
I had that issue repaired on a previous bike. I had a buddy use a welder to build up the areas that were rounded, and then we ground them flat. Worked great...and cheap too! However, it wasn't free--it cost me a 12 pack. Your idea is free...should be good as gold! :mrgreen:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
alistair

Post by alistair »

we did that welding trick on my old xr250 worked great
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

my gallery http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules.php? ... _album.php
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I've also done this. Works great.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Didn't win the one I first mentioned . . .

but won this one today - a late 90s KX125 kicker. $15.50, that's WITH shipping

"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Oh, and as soon as I got my son going he raced to the top, without me, claiming victory!!
The old "hey dad...I'm stuck in the mud" trick. As "old folk" were supposed to be the tricky ones. :wink:
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

^ Funny how it works, eh?

'Little bugger is starting to get pretty good. He's had the JR80 since about March and he's already better than it, pushing it past what it's designed for. I'm looking for a used KX60 / KX65 - he's ready for it! I've heard the 60 version has more of the midrange which will probably suit him (us) more. The 65 has the disc brakes, though, but my understanding is you gotta make 'em scream to get the power - they're a bit pricier, too.

I see your's has the PW80 - comparable to the JR80. Are you finding yourself starting to look for the "next step up" as well?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
Jeb wrote:^ Funny how it works, eh?

'Little bugger is starting to get pretty good. He's had the JR80 since about March and he's already better than it, pushing it past what it's designed for. I'm looking for a used KX60 / KX65 - he's ready for it! I've heard the 60 version has more of the midrange which will probably suit him (us) more. The 65 has the disc brakes, though, but my understanding is you gotta make 'em scream to get the power - they're a bit pricier, too.

I see your's has the PW80 - comparable to the JR80. Are you finding yourself starting to look for the "next step up" as well?
No...not yet. We ride ST and the PW is perfect for it and it fits him just right. The PW and JR are better tight stuff bikes than MX or more open stuff. The suspension is extreemly lacking, but that's good. He has to have good body position to clear obsticles. Actually, we're looking for a good "wifes" bike and a Motorhome. I'm sure once we get those set up and spend more time riding, he'll want to step up to a bike with better suspension.
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC