KDX 250 throttle compatability

Got questions? We got answers....
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

KDX 250 throttle compatability

Post by radonc73 »

I had previously hijacked a thread and so I am now starting this right. I have a 93 KDX 250 with throttle problems. It sticks on me every once in a while. The cable goes straight into the top of the throttle. It has to take a near 90 degree turn to go into the carb. I believe this could be causing the sticking. I have tried to route it in different configurations and always end up back where I started. I love this bike despite it being a bastard of KX and KDX. I have looked at the microfiche side by side with a 200 of the same year. Almost all the parts match. If I ordered all the parts for a 200 cap with the curve does anyone know if it will fit? I feel the curve will help the cable from possibly sticking. Has anyone advice before I spend the $50 to build a cap?[/img]
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Didn't this already get covered....what are you starting a whole new thread for??? :mrgreen:

Just kidding...sheesh....

I don't know that your carb is a small body PWK. Actually, small or not, I think both carb bodies do take the same cap.

BUT...get them from a dealer or off the dealer fiche. I tried ordering the parts you're talking about from Sudco. They sales guy said he knew exactly what I was talking about...and sent me ALL THE WRONG PARTS!!

You mentioned getting a pic? That would be good. Interesting anyway. The radius of the curved tube on the KDX 200/220 PWK is pretty slow..so it adds some height to the top of things.

How much room do you have?

I'm saying I don't know if it will 'fit' your bike. I'm quite sure it will fit your CARB...but I don't know what clearance you have with your tank..and if it's tight already, I would GUESS that the radiused tube will NOT fit.

And..the other mentions (on that other thread) I don't recall seeing you respond to. Dirty/damaged throttle tube? Guard hardware interfering with throttle tube movement? How 'bout that stuff?

Where's the 250 guys...Matt??

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Your welcome.... Indawoods :wink:

I have more pics in my gallery I am embarressed to have Indi fix all my post.
Last edited by radonc73 on 08:14 pm Dec 20 2006, edited 1 time in total.
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Thank You I suck at this postin stuff. I went to public schools. :mrgreen:
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

So did I ...that's why I quit! :supz:

I believe if you had the accordian type top boot... it would be less rigid and work better.... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Where would I get one? That is what came with. Are you saying like a clutch cable? I think I have one laying around. I would then what, tape it to the cable?
I graduated in the top 75% of my class, my last computer in H.S. was Commadore 64 with tape drive, I couldn't load pictures on that one either. :wink:
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Weeeeellllll.... lemme go take a pic!

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Where would one aquire a accordian type boot? I looked at my extra clutch cable and it was bad, real bad. That boot looks MUCH cheaper than engineering my own cap, I like that. :grin:
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Should be a KDX part.... :hmm:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That boot is part of the throttle cable assembly. I would remove your cable... take it to the dealer and see if they have a H model KDX 200 throttle cable.

I don't have a spare or I would send you one to try....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

I have a 250 so think the cables are different. I think my carb was based on the 89 or so but when you put the tank on things get tight real quick since the reserve is right there.
Edit Sorry you were writing same time I was. I will try that, do I just see if they are same length or look for anything specific?
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

Looks like a dealer item......

The KDX 200 (even 220) cap will fit the 38 mm 250 carb.

Ron
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Good to know! Thanks Ron.... :supz:

Length is important... especially what is hanging out the ends...

a few mm I wouldn't worry about...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Thanks again guys. I will be going to the dealer after work tomorrow, I still have to do Christmas shopping for my wife so I should have no problems getting out. They called the other day for some other parts I ordered so I cann't get another call like that for a few weeks, thank God for cell phones.
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

To offer a contrary opinion...

I wouldn't put the pleated top on a setup that had a straight cable coming out of it. Too much stress on the cable at the end. As discussed already, the pleated boot in the pic fits on a CURVED tube!

Radon: Your pic doesn't show 'fit' in regard to the fuel tank. That's what I was most curious about..whether you had the room to put the curved tube on or not.

This may be a good time to mention that the KDX 200/220 setup is MORE than just the tube! Get the whole deal. There is a little clip for one thing. Buying every part except the part you don't isn't going to help you out when it comes to putting it all together.

Consider the source

radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

I know I was thinking last night that I will need to get a cable, cap, lock nut, and adjuster to even see if this works. I will post a link to my gallery so Inda doesn't have to clean up after me of with the tank in place. I know this is going to be elaberate maybe I will look on Eb@y and see if I can buy a carb with the cable in place for less than new then if it doesn't work sell it for a little loss if I have to. I don't even know if this will solve it but it is one more thing to check off. I was noticing on Indas pic that his petcock is alot longer than mine (no jokes Inda). I think that the curve out to the side would keep my cable at much less of a bend.

83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Aren't you going rather the long way around? That bike came with a straight throttle cable entry. If I didn't specifically know otherwise from other riders' problems that the straight entry assembly was a problem, I wouldn't think changing it would fix anything.

I have yet to see any word from you that you have even checked all the other options that have mentioned several times.

There are things INside the carb that are possibilities when it comes to throttle stickage, too. Primarily a worn slide. Does your slide show any sign of rubbing, abrasion, scraping or the like?

Is the needle loose in the slide? It should be. If it's TIGHT there is something wrong with the needle/slide assembly. Any similar (as above) markings on the needle itself?

Your existing cable may work. I cannot tell from the pic what the height is of the straight entry design in your bike. The important parts of the cable will be the termination style, cable AND housing length.

Consider the source

radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

I have changed the cable. I didn't even realize that most KDXs come with the curve on the cap. I thought that most if not all cables were like mine. I have tried to reroute the cable in a way that the cable bends less but haven't come up with any other way than behind the headlight like the front brake, split off from brake line on left side of bike, going past the radiator following the frame, going under the big part of the tank under the frame going into the carb. I feel that the angle I have to put it at to avoid the reserve part of the tank, it will not let me put it in at a straight angle. I can't get a good picture of the bend because of the frame being in the perfect spot to take a pic. The needle is loose in its slide. I can't get a good pic of the needle, but it is rounded at the end, not mushroomed but doesn't seem to have the nipple looking piece that I see in tech tips on another unnamed site. I didn't see any wear marks on the needle but now that you mention it maybe it could be the roundness that I was talking about. I haven't pulled the jets out yet as I wanted to try and leave it in place since we started on this problem. I figure I would do things one at a time and I have no idea what a bad jet would look like, unless it was obviously worn wrong i.e. not round at hole. I will try to get a heigth measurement when I get home, both with the tank in place and w/o it to see, I think the rise of the curve will be less than what the cable sticks up right now. I have checked the tube out it seems to be doing fine, I don't have barkbusters just the hand guards that look like wings by Acerbis so I don't think those are the problem. I didn't want to get too far into the carb until I get a manual. I have not removed my throttle tube but will try that.
Thank you for the advice any is appreciated :grin:
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'going under the big part of the tank under the frame going into the carb.'

The 200/220 KDX routing does not go 'under' the frame nowhere.

On the LH side it's routed with the other wires and stuff on the OUTside of the frame.

I might have an incorrect picture in my head of what you said.

If you don't have guards bolted to the end of the bars, that takes out a whole lot of question. If your throttle tube feels smooth, I wouldn't worry about it right off, but keep it in mind.

How about the INside of the throttle side grip? The throttle tube fits into a groove in the throttle housing. That should all be clean and slippery. It would be a bit tough to do but it's possible to have the grips mounted such that they will interfere with free movement of the throttle assy.

When did this sticking start, anyway. What was the last thing you did BEFORE it started to stick?

When it sticks...describe the stick. Hard stuck? Just rough? Do you notice the throttle to be loose feeling (that would indicate a stick further down the assembly). Does it feel gooey when it sticks?

I wouldn't worry about jets as far as sticking goes. If something is wrong there, you should be able to see corresponding marks on the needle.

I don't know what the 'nipple-looking piece' of the needle would be. You're referring to the clip end maybe? I've seen diagrams that make that end look 'shroomy', but it's not.

There is no clearance to run the cable under the tank along the backbone?

What's needed here are some 250 riders sayin' what's right.

Heellllooo? I know you're out there. Don't make me go looking through bios and spending the time to PM y'all.

I missed the pic above with the tank...

IMO and all...but that isn't right. It looks to take a pretty good kink at the bottom of the tank. Can you post a pic from a bit farther away so show the rest of the turn the cable makes?

I forgot if you said...this is an OEM tank? I'm browsing thru pics on the web and I see nothing like the extended wing you appear have.

This is a Clark (or whatever) tank??

BTW...I'm pretty sure this is a repeat, but even though 'most' KDXs come with a curved tube on top of the carb, YOUR 250, by the BuyKaw fiche does NOT.

Consider the source

radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

When I said under the frame I meant on the underside of the frame not the inside back of the frame. Just about everytime it sticks is when I hold it wide open going up hills or riding across open sand. I usually never turn the throttle past 3/4 to avoid it happening and just use the torque to get through at a gear higher than I need. What wing? I believe the tank is OEM. I was looking at the inside of my cap just now and I have no gasket under there. I cann't see where I dropped it so I wonder if it had one in it. Would this cause an airleak causing the throttle to stick? The more I get into this bike the worse it gets.
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER