frame guards

Got questions? We got answers....
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

frame guards

Post by kdxquebec »

hi there! I need frame guards for my 200 1989.aluminium or plastics.Who makes them? do you have links or pictures? thanks a lot ! :cool:
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I know UFO make the plastic ones for H models. Sorry but Im not much help here.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

UFO, http://www.frpoffroad.com has them for maybe US$22??

BONJOUR, kdxquebec!!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I don't know if they make them any more but Works Connection used to make frame guards for the E series KDX's. My 89 came with a set.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

thanks ! I will look. bonjour a tous mes amis qui possedent des kdx! merci pour vos reponces ce site est super interessant. :mrgreen:
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Does anyone have a picture of the UFO frame guards, preferably for an H model? I'm curious as to how much frame they actually cover.

I need to repaint the "boot area" of my frame, and unless I put frame guards on it, I'll just have to repaint again in the near future...
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

wanaride wrote:Does anyone have a picture of the UFO frame guards, preferably for an H model? I'm curious as to how much frame they actually cover.

I need to repaint the "boot area" of my frame, and unless I put frame guards on it, I'll just have to repaint again in the near future...
Did anyone in the Gallery have any? If not, and no one else knows of a picture, you might want to look on eBay (both current and completed auctions). KDX's on there sometimes have aftermarket parts, and you can see what they look like.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Trev has a pic in his gallery of em.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Ah, I looked through many gallery pix and only saw one...a plastic piece that was the exact same color as the green frame. They were zip-tied onto the frame...are these the UFO guards?

I really expected skipro and other "hardcore" KDX'ers to have them, but I was mistaken...

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yup... that's the ones...
Why do you think they make PJ1 for! That's what us hard core riders use. :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've just stuck on some aluminum Works Connection type guards. They do a good job. I also took some clear heavy tape like stuff and put this on my frame right after I painted it after it wore off. The tape came from a ski shop and is used to cover the tops of skis so the graphics won't be trashed. I'm sure that any automotive place would also have the clear self-adhesive stuff to put on the rock guards / lower portion of the body of a car as well.
So paint the frame as touch up, cover with clear self adhesive vinyl material then install a set of guards. The frame should stay pretty after that.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I get my mommy to put a warm, folded, wet washrag between my boot and frame before I go riding. Sometimes to surprise me, she will hide a small Zip-Loc bag of marshmellows in it.

SOFTCORE ALL THE WAY :supz:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Ski, any chance you can post a pic of the WC frame guards installed on your bike? I thought those guards didn't go too far up the frame, but if they work, I'll order them today.

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I would post a photo but I lost my digital camera cable to upload to my computer with.
You are right though, they don't go very high up. But since the do force your boot out just a bit, there is very little frame contact. That's why I used the clear vinyl on the upper exposed part of my frame.

I'll get a photo up as soon as I can.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Sounds good. I saw a picture of them on the WC website and they go higher than I remembered. Besides, like you said, they will force the boot out a little thereby minimizing frame contact. I'll order them soon Lord willing.

Any chance that clear packing tape will do the same thing as your "ski tape"? I may try that out anyway since I have some handy.

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The ski tape is just like the stuff for number plates or radiator shroud graphics; a heavy (12 mil or so) soft-to-the-touch vinyl. The clear packing tape doesn't hug as well and I don't think it will lay down or hold up as well.
Jerry