Harder starting bike after re-jet?

Got questions? We got answers....
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Harder starting bike after re-jet?

Post by 2001kdx »

Hey guys, When i had my stock jetting, the bike was real rich, but always started with one kick, little or no throttle, hot or cold. Now, i went from 160/48 to 158/45, and i love the performance, with snorkel removed it pulls off the bottom really well. but, now when it's cold, it takes 3 kicks to fire up, and sometimes 2 kicks when warm. I wanted to know by re jetting and utilizing my gas/oil usage, would'nt the bike start better?
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

"I wanted to know by re jetting and utilizing my gas/oil usage, would'nt the bike start better?"

I don't know what utilizing gas/oil usage is, but starting a bike and riding it with the best performance are two different things. Airplanes have a failsafe system for jetting (sort of) called "full rich", when you are plumetting toward earth you switch to full rich, and attempt a restart.

The bike is kinda the same. I'm an old guy and lazy too. I jet my pilot a little fat so it starts easy.

Also, make sure you put a brand new, correctly gapped plug in the thing. I laugh when people say "I checked it , it looks fine." and kick 20 times to get it started. :lol:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

oh, and I think you're a young guy, so I didn't mean to insinuate that you should jet rich. You should just kick your bike the whopping 3 times to get it going.
Mike

'04 KDX220
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

That's fine, i wasn't complaining about the 3 kicks i was just wondering why the change occured. And yes, I am a young guy, but I think I've learned a lot being 15.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

No doubt. I have a 15 year-old who doesn't even bother to ask the questions. I respect your thirst for knowledge a great deal. :supz:
Mike

'04 KDX220
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

As the temperatures climbed in Phoenix over the summer (highs of 115F), my bike (220), jetted 150/38/CEK-3 wouldn't start or run with the choke on. I rejetted to a leaner 148/35/CEK-3 and all of a sudden I had a functioning choke which I was required to use to start when cold and it would actually run sorta okay with the choke on as well.

How does yours behave, choke-wise?

Done a series of plug chops recently?

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Choke-wise It starts easier with it on, after 5 seconds I turn it off and go. But, when it's all warmed up, I get better pull off the bottom with it on. I guess i would benefit from a richer jet on one of the circuits, but I considering the amount of oil out of the back of the muffler, i cant. I won't.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Don't jet by spooge..... :wink: Just ask Brad... :razz:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Did someone call? Mr. Spoo??

This plug:

..is out of a KDX (mine) that had spooge dripping off the fender, covering my jersey and chest protector with splatter.

So, no. Don't jet by spoo, indeed.

If your bike runs better when hot off the bottom with the choke ON...you have a considerable problem somewhere. That will be true if you are 15, 35, 7, 68, or 98.6....º that is.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I wont jet by spooge, but what else factors in to spooge? I can go twenty hours of riding before i get spooge leaking on the swingarm, so i'm just going to make sure i'm safe with a plug chop. Does it make a difference that i run 32:1 with synthetic oil?
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Running 32:1 with synth shouldn't affect spooge.
Now, I KNOW this will start some "disscussion" but here goes anyway:
Spooge is not unburned 2 stroke oil. At least, not the majority of it is. Spooge is unburned fuel AKA gasoline. Yes, it looks oily but that is just an illusion. I've done some research on this and that's what I've come to as a conclusion.
For a real-time experiance, when I ran race gas; VP C-12, there was almost no spooge ever. When I ran the same bike on premium, there was lots of spooge. Same oil and mix, just different gas. I could ride my KDX all weekend long and burn up to 8 gallons of C-12 mix. When I wiped my tailpipe off with a clean rag, there was very little on the rag. Heck, I leave a bigger skid mark on TP than that bike did in a long ride. But with premium, there would be spooge drooling all over the place.
OK, let the flame begin!!

Just to be fair, I had that KDX jetted to a nat's ass on the C-12 and left that jetting when I tried out the premium. I know it ran leaner on premium so I don't think the jetting had anything to do with the spooge. If anything, if one was to consider jetting by spooge, my KDX should have ran cleaner on premium.

If you research the specifics on VP C-12, you will see it vaporizes much differently than pump.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Premium=Slow burn!

Makes total sense to me Ski! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Have anything to do with that dang 10+% of alcohol or MTBE? :kick:

Rick
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Premium=slow burn?

:rolleyes:

I want to see the white paper on that one.

Whether alcohol, ethanol, MTBE or monkeypee, it's all to the same end: Pump fuel is CRAP!

Regarding oil (Mr. Amsoil will love this, 'natch!), this is a good read.

From there:
I know of no scientifically run tests that show less oil is better for your engine. On the contrary, I know of several that show more oil, jetted right, in a good engine, gives more horsepower. If your engine does seem to run better on less oil, you just might need to rejet, rebuild, or retune. If you insist on running lean on the oil, you better have done your homework !

Bold emphasis is mine.

THIS is another good oil read. Do YOU know the difference in ring land temp specs and required oil? I didn't either.........

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Premium=slow burn?

:rolleyes:

I want to see the white paper on that one.
PLEASE!!! You are actually doubting that?
Last edited by Indawoods on 01:00 pm Dec 20 2006, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Don't quite buy into those articles either there CC... Just a little too far left for me... They obviously were written several years ago and rehashed. Allot has changed in the synthetic arena... There are pure synthetic bases without ANY petrolium in them. Amsoil has led the pack on this.... you know it's true.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
State of Minnesota wrote:High octane gasoline burns slower than low octane gasoline. The slow burn prevents engine knock when
cylinder pressures are high.
:grin:

From this White Paper!

http://www.state.mn.us/mn/externalDocs/ ... eFacts.pdf
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yep. I've read a brazillion places the TRUE (ha ha) state of the matter...that higher octane fuel burns slower than lower octane fuel in the otherwise same conditions.

Sorry. I don't buy it. I think it may be an urban myth.

The fact that a higher octane fuel resists detonation to a greater extent than does a lower octane fuel does NOT have anything to do with whether it burns more slowly or not.

The state of Minnysohta says so? Well, then...there's one vote against! :wink:

I called a local race fuel distributor..two guys there said, 'Nope.'

I've contacted the Pascagoula Chevron Refinery..asked them for input. It will be curious, if they bother responding, to read the reply.

I didn't say I 'bought into' those articles either. Just interesting is all.

Show something other than a parroted statement from some Kool-Aide drinker..from Minnysohta or elsewhere.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 02:08 pm Dec 20 2006, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

A controverial subject to say the least.

Some of youn's like race gas and that is fine. For me... I like running pump gas because I can get it in a pinch. I am a somewhat casual rider and if it is running well I am happy.

I do think premium causes more spoo than is acceptable so I don't run it. My bike don't need it sez me. If she started pinging, I would slowly go up the octane range until i found something acceptable to me.

Premix is another matter. 40:1 Amsoil is fine for my bike sez me again. No damage so far.... I have run at 50:1 with no problems also. I am not running at 6K or higher pretty much ever...

CC... you wanted a white paper... I produced it. :hmm:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

...when I ran race gas; VP C-12, there was almost no spooge ever.
When I ran that gallon of toluene through the KDX in multiple tankfuls at 5%, 10%, and even one at 20%, it seemed to run really, really clean.

Rick