kdx headlight. Please help

Got questions? We got answers....
wezza83

kdx headlight. Please help

Post by wezza83 »

I just got an Acerbis Blitz headlight for my KDX 200. The lights come on, but they dont get bright. What do you think the problem could be?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Your lighting coil can't handle the required wattage? :mrgreen:

It will handle one... but not both.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
wezza83

Post by wezza83 »

Thank you for the quick response. Would there be any way to get both lights lit or am I going to have to run only 1 light at all times? This may be a dumb question, but can I get a larger coil?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

larger coil
I belive the web site is: http://www.rickystator.com
tim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tim »

06 200H

GALLERY!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The Steahly is a good deal!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
wezza83

Post by wezza83 »

The add is saying if I ran a Steahly coil I would need to get an E-1 flywheel puller. Once again i'm lost in the dark (literally). What the hell is a flywheel puller?
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

They're saying if you don't have a FW puller you'll need one to get to the lighting coil for replacement.

Image[/img]
wezza83

Post by wezza83 »

Thank you for the help!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

$10-12 or something like that. Same tool used on a number of other machines...Yamaha Banshee for example. SO..you don't have to go to a KAW dealer to get that puller.

Be advised..the flywheel isn't going to come off easily. You will have to fashion a holder of some sort to keep everything from turning whilst you wrench on it.

Take note of the left hand thread part!!

An impact will help you a whole lot in getting the flywheel bolt out.

The flywheel is fairly fragile! The magnetism part of the thing will be damaged if you drop it, strike it hard..stuff like that. Treat it carefully. Replacement is EXPENSIVE!.

Take note of the woodruff key used to keep the thing in place. When you put it back on CHECK to make sure the key stayed in the slot!! It can back out on assembly without you seeing/knowing it. CHECK IT! ..stick a little screwdriver or even a toothpick in the slot after you're done..make sure you can feel the key.

Torque to spec! If you don't, the key will shear and you will be pushing your bike back from wherever it broke.

Soldering the connection is far better than a simple crimp. Got a healthy iron to do that with? Crimp will do, but I wouldn't use one.

That's a good price from Steahly. Get the flywheel puller from him too. Heck, might as well buy one of his flywheel weights while you're at it.

You'll love it!!

BTW...take note of what the wattage rating is of the lights you have. For example...if they both happen to be 35 watts, the 65W coil is still going to have trouble, especially if you're running an 1156 (standard) tail light.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

CC... is yours 75W?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

tim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tim »

Be advised..the flywheel isn't going to come off easily. You will have to fashion a holder of some sort to keep everything from turning whilst you wrench on it.
What I have done in the past on chainsaws and weed eaters was to take a pice of good (not nylon or soft cotton) cord and get the piston at the bottom of the stroke and then fill the cyl through the spark plug hole with the cord and then BY HAND turn the engine until it stops and then use hand tools to get off the flywheel nut just make shure to turn the engine the way the nut comes off and then put the piston back to the bottom and pull the cord out
06 200H

GALLERY!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Craftsman Strap Wrench worked fine holding mine

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Mr. Inda:

Mine is an Electrex coil..rated differently depending on whose propaganda you read: 70 or 65W.

I generally run different bulbs in the twin front shell I have at this time...one spot and one flood. Usually 55-60W. I haven't run a tail light for quite awhile...since the last LED turned into tatters with the bouncing around it gets.

My lights are certainly not bright at idle, but I wouldn't expect them to be.

I've got an LED marker to affix to the tail someday, thank you Mr. Wibbens for picking that up for me. It's not at all bright, but nice enough when you're following another rider in the dusk-to-dark.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Is 65 the max available now? I thought Ricky wound one to 75W?
His site is full of information! :roll:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

You still have not put it on there?

Whatdaya waiting for? My cordless Dremel maybe?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

While your getting your flywheel puller, lighting coil, and flywheel weight from Steahly...Get this too...

http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/weightsde ... artnum=E-3

Makes pulling the flywheel a snap! Steahly is a great company with great products and support.
Last edited by quailchaser on 02:37 am Dec 22 2006, edited 1 time in total.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Do you guys really think a flywheel weight is needed on the KDX? I like the instant snap.... It already has a heavier weight than say a KX anyway... right?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

FWW is much nicer for around these parts

We do a lot of very steep downhill stuff with the motor just idling along, without the added weight the motor would die a lot easier

Plus it is soo cool when the going gets tough and you actually stall the motor, if you are fast enough with the clutch the motor will refire! :supz: :supz:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

So, it just pretty much depends if you are running in the moutains or not whether it would be a worthwhile investment?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****