kdx vs ktm gearing

Got questions? We got answers....
layoutd

kdx vs ktm gearing

Post by layoutd »

anyone got the drive ratios on the kdx gears? i have a 13/50 on my kdx now and love it and would like to try and get a similar feel on the KTM.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

i'm more referring to the internal gear ratios. that way i can make a direct comparison
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Good luck on that one.... it may be in the manual but i don't have one with me at work.... :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

yes, that blasted manual that still taunts me from somewhere in the garage :evil:
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Transmission ratios are in the KTM manual but another thing to consider is the primary gear ratio i.e. main gear to clutch gear.

On the larger KTM 2 cycle bikes the primary gear ratio changed 2 years ago and also some transmission gear ratios changed. (I know people were happy to see the the 2-3 gear gap closer on the 250-300 bikes)

Don't know if similar changes were made on the KTM 200.

You will want to figure in primary ratio/transmission ratio and final drive ratios for the overall ratio per gear. Then do the same with the KDX if you really want to comparison graph it. :?

FWIW - If it were me I would just ride the bike on a few familiar trails and get an overall feeling for the power (or lack thereof) in an assortment of trail conditions and then change the final gear ratio based upon the seat of pants input. :cool:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

They look like this:

That from the pdf file available (used to be) on BuyKaw.

If it's not there and you want it, let me know.

Shown is a spec sheet for a 200 H6...complete with primary numbers.

But...I vote with IC. The exact same ratios on two different bikes are not likely to 'feel' the same. Besides...they aren't exactly a snap to change.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I'd have to agree with the alter ego "Okie" and IC. The power delivery is going to be different between the two machines. Even if you could exactly duplicate the gearing between the two...the "feel" is not going to be the same.

For an example...many of the C to Bish riders I know that are on KTM200's (02-04's) have gone one tooth smaller in the rear to "tame the hit". None of the KDX 200 riders I'm aware of do that. Most go 2 to 3 teeth larger on the rear.

Happy hunting. :mrgreen:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC