Kdx seat

Got questions? We got answers....
Dax10

Kdx seat

Post by Dax10 »

I have a new 04 KDX 220 and am just getting used to riding it. I am only about 5 feet 5 inches tall and have a little trouble touching the ground. Thanks to all of your responses on my question about the rear suspension settings, I set my suspension to where everyone recommended. However, even after setting it correctly it still didn't help me much. So, as Fredette recommended to me, I bought a 4.6 kg spring. This is on its way and I think once I have it and get it on my bike, it will help me greatly. However I do have another question. Are there any other seats available that are maybe skinnier or smaller that would fit my bike? I think if I had a skinnier or shorter seat it would be easier for me to touch the ground when on the bike. Do any of you have any recommendations for different seats? Thanks :grin:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I have heard of a couple of things you might do to lower your bike.
Since there isn't an aftermarket seat that is lower than your existing one, you can remove the cover and shave down the foam that is there. While you have the foam off, you can also drill holes in it from the bottom in an effort to make the seat softer for your weight.

Other things to do in order to change ride height is to install aftermarket dog bones on the rear suspension. These longer units will cause the static height to be lower. Also raise the forks in the triple clamps to keep the front to rear geometry equal. Try raising the pegs some too in order to gain better ergonomics while in the saddle. Play with the handlebar placement and cut them down. I have mine at 29 inches.

Hope this helps!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If you go with the lower rear end, you may want to make similar adjustments in the front with less fork spring preload or tube height adjustments.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Dax... the spring is a weight thing and the bike is going to sit the same height until you sit on it and then it will squat a little more maybe. Spring rate is determined by your weight.... what do you weigh?
The dogbones changed out, shaved set foam and dropping the forks down are your only real chance of getting your bike down to your size.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "