Chain/sprocket question

Got questions? We got answers....
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Chain/sprocket question

Post by 2001kdx »

I have a rear sprocket with the teeth turned, a front sprocket also a bit turned, and an o ring chain that is great and on the 4th adjustment out of 9. Everything here is renthal. I wanted to know if replacing the worn sprockets fore this nice chain will lengthen it's life, or should i run the sprockets a few more months and then get a whole new setup, leaving the decent chain useless?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Grab and pull your chain where it wraps around your rear sprocket... how far can you pull it away from your sprocket?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I can pull it about half an inch. I recently had the rear wheel off for wheel bearing replacement{which was harder than i expected}, and i noticed the turned sprocket. The chain went almost 1,000 miles without an adjustment at one point - i will buy o-ring again.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

1/2 isn't bad.... I'd buy cheap sprockets and keep running the chain and then replace the entire setup with quality when the chain is toast.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Exactly what i was thinking. I'm gonna search around for a cheap set... you guys like sunstar right?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... good quality for cheap! I love the Z-sprocket! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

JayBird would give you guys such an awful spanking....WHERE is he when he's needed!!??

1/2"? That's past bad! The pitch on a 520 chain is 5/8"!!

Sprocket damage occurs when a chain gets to a 3% wear level. IF sprocket damage (teeth 'turned') is already present, the chain is likely well over 3%.

Your chain is not 'great'. What does that even mean? No bushings are missing yet?

Yes, you can put on a new set of sprockets. That will be a complete waste of money, but you can if wish.

When you get around to taking that chain off, measure 10 links (warm, clean, stretched) to any given 'same' spot..like the center of the pins. 6 1/4" is what you get with a new 520 chain. 6 7/16" is what you get with a 3% chain.

That's cheating. No fair saying YOUR chain is 6 1/4" just 'cuz you know that's a good answer! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

CC... I've ran chains that would expose a tooth before that worked just fine.... damn KTM's! No binding, noise, bent teeth or additional stretching. How is this you say? I don't know... but it's the truth. :hmm:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Thanks guys. btw nice photo in the quick reply area... is that new?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's new.

Check THIS.

Cool, 'eh?

Exposing a tooth? Sounds painful!!

I don't know, either.

You can't tell a chain is worn out by looking at it necessarily. If the bushings are crammed by 1/2 shell bits into your CSS guard, the chain is probably bad. Don't ask how I know about THAT...I must'a read it someplace.

Measuring a given distance and comparing it to the known pitch will tell you for sure.

Maybe the punkin just din't have enough poop to sweep the sprocket teeth!

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote: Maybe the punkin just din't have enough poop to sweep the sprocket teeth!
:mrgreen: I KNOW better than that!

I only adjusted it and never really checked it since it was so quiet and the sprockets looked good. When the guy bought it... he loaded it on his truck and pulled on the chain and I couldn't believe my eyes.... He didn't say anything because he stole it from me on eBay. If he would of said anything I would have said your right.... I am ripping you off and gave him his money back. :cool:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird »

Chains that have grown past their original pitch and bad adjustments are what cause sprocket teeth to deform.

Unless you measure your chain, as cc described, there is really not a good way to tell what condition your chain is in. Pulling it away from the rear sprocket is hardly adequate to tell when you are reaching a point that the teeth will see deformation.
Weathermen used to hold their wet finger in the air too...

It was your worn chain that wore the teeth of your current sprockets, as well as the next ones you run on that worn chain.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Anyone is welcome to run a chain as long as they like, over however bent-toothed sprockets they like.

Use some common sense in the matter. The size (pitch) of a chain is the measurement in length of a link. When you're dealing with what may be thousands of an inch in wear on a chain, you generally measure a LOT of links and divide by the number you measured to get the figure for 'a link.''

A 520 chain being 5/8" pitch (.625") there is no reasonable, logical or factual argument that says when that measurement reaches .640" that everything is fine. SOMEthing is worn, or, where did the extra distance come from?

The entire chain is made up of cylindrical parts...and that wear is NOT going to be evidenced by 'every thing cylindrically smaller (or larger).

If a sprocket NEVER wore, the teeth wouldn't ever pull. When the teeth DO pull (or get dished out) it's the chain that MUST take a beating every time IT is pulled on. It's got no support! ANY thinking that in such a case you can change part of the 'unit' without changing all of it and make everything 'fine' is simply silly.

I guarantee I run chains past when they probably should have been replaced. I have, also, replaced sprockets when they showed no obvious wear and chain 'stretch' indications were 'good.'

But replacing sprockets when the teeth are already pulled or swept..that is a waste of money.

But, you're welcome to it!!

Consider the source

2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Thank you for all of your insightful posts, CC, it seems as if you are very knowledgeable and you like to help some of us who aren't.