gearing

Got questions? We got answers....
Sky.A

gearing

Post by Sky.A »

A friend of mine said that dropping teeth on the front sprocket as opposed to adding teeth on the rear to gear it down will make my bike rev out quicker. is this true? or should I opt for the stock front and larger rear currently have 12/50 on my bike and down here it 1st is still way to low and second is just a tad bit too high. but its way better then stock any input will be helpful TIA
Kauai Boy 04 kdx 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Your ratio is lower than anyone elses right now I believe. a 12/50 is LOW!
I don't think you can go lower in the front anyway.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

the trouble with dropping the front as low as you have and raising the rear is what you have. ratio is way off. try going up on the front 1 then down on the back 1. then if 2nd is to high with youre curent gearing, you could be suffering from power problems not gearing.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Curious..how is a ratio 'off'? You're referring to chain angles or something?

You're saying a 12/47 is somehow largely different' from a 13/50?

This part:
if 2nd is to high with youre curent gearing, you could be suffering from power problems not gearing.
..is right on the money.

I don't know why you would want, and what good a 12/50 would be.

Allowing the engine to PULL against a gear is often a good thing. A bike that is running correctly and running against a bit too HIGH a gear will likely work much better than the same bike geared low. The low gear allows for a quick wheel-spin situation..and when that happens, you aren't going anywhere.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 12:26 pm Dec 12 2006, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I was actually thinking of running 14/47 when i get my woods pipe, that way i have a bit less wheelspin in the swampy areas, and a bit more top end pull on the fire roads and fields. What do you guys think i have to gain with a tooth extra bigger cs? For the record ive tried 12/47 and it made first gear useless. or at least more useless than it is now.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I run a 12/47 on my 220 torque meister, and 1st gear is still very useful. maybe you don't need to manuever big rocks and stuff though.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

I'm running 13/50 with 110 tires. I can't imagine first gear being any lower and at times think about going to a taller ratio by dropping the rear to a 49 or 48. The 13/50 is great in rocks, though.
1st is still way to low and second is just a tad bit too high.
I also can't imagine second gear being too high with that ratio.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R