not using a clutch?

Got questions? We got answers....
vinny

not using a clutch?

Post by vinny »

Is there anyone out there that only uses a clutch to start, stop, or to build rpm only? I've been riding on and off most of my life and I have never used the clutch while shifting unless I was trying to trying to gain rpm. Is this odd?

Vinny
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Allot of folks do that....

My Dad woulda kicked my @ss if he ever caught me doing that.... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
vinny

Post by vinny »

Why? I've never damaged a bike I know of by doing it. I am doing my first clutch replacement and thats only because I just got the bike and there is a lot of wear.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

He's from the day that the gears weren't sync'd. I was just a kid... I listened or I didn't get to ride. :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Anyone out there...'

All the time.

There's a good way and a bad way to do it though. It can be slick, or it can be brutal.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I ran the tar out of both a 125 and a 250 when I was younger - rode 'em a lot, raced 'em a lot.

I upshifted without the clutch pretty much always. I did shut the throttle off - very quickly - when I shifted. Presumably, shutting off the throttle during the shift removes some of the load on the "engaged" tranny. Maybe someone has a better explanation than this - or maybe I'm wrong about why.

I don't remember ever having problems with the transmissions in either of these bikes.

BTW, I rarely downshifted without some clutch - right or wrong. Maybe it's OK to do this as well, it always just "felt" like I was hammering the gearbox.

'Hope this helps.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

'Shut' the throttle off enough to put decel pressure on the trans, and it's not much different (well, actually hugely different in some ways, considering leverages and such) than shifting otherwise with pressure applied.

That's not part of a 'quickly' shift.

It's all in the 'how to' you do it.

I downshift regularly without the clutch..but not in any way that's hammering anything.

Another 'How do you do?'

There's absolutely no point to this post. I already said this.......already. :neutral:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I don't use the clutch on the big rigs either and it sounds like an automatic shifting up and down through the gears. Because there are no synchros in both these trannys the only need for the clutch during shifting would be to help match the unmatched RPM.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

I will check the next time I ride, I don't know when I use the clutch, I only remember using it at the wrong time when I'm tired.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

The only time I know I use the clutch for shifting is when I am haulin ass into a tight corner and I am hard on the rear brake. I will down shift a gear or two or three then slip it a tad if needed to accelerate out of the corner. As far as acceleration or normal trail riding downshifts I don't use it.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

If I need a really quick shift on the trail (usually a downshift) I don't use the clutch. If I have "spare time" I use the clutch.

I find that upshifting the clutch (with proper throttle work) seems to feel better, in terms of abuse to the tranny. However, in the book I am reading, "Pro Motocross and off-road riding techniques" by Donnie Bales and Gary Semics says that downshifting is fine without the clutch but that upshifting under acceleration should have the clutch engaged "with every twist of the throttle."

Says Gary on page 61, "Whenever you accelerate hard, use the clutch and throttle together." But this appears to be for the purpose of matching engine power, RPM and traction, not necessarily to make nice with your expensive components.

There are other clutch-shifting-related quotes that I can't find, but I have to head off to work.

Later,

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R