grease

Got questions? We got answers....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

grease

Post by scheckaet »

What kind of grease do u use for the bike.
I am planning on a tear down to grease all bearings and whatever else needs grease in the next 2 weeks (never been done on my 05)
I have some lithium grease, do I need anything else?

:prayer:
Wilf
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Waterproof lithium synthetic grease is usually a good choice. Just about any motorcycle grease usually "waterproof," I use Maxima brand, a lot of people like Belray. Boat trailer bearing grease is good too.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
grump99

Post by grump99 »

The thicker the better! I use Bel-Ray, seems pretty good.
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

I used Bel-Ray too. Most any bike shop will have it, and a 5 dollar tub will probably last you for years. Dont forget to put a thin layer on the shanks of the swingarm bolt, and the axles to prevent them from seizing in the hubs.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've used several..it's gotta be waterproof (how is grease NOT waterproof anyway?). The $5 BelRay stuff works pretty good in bearings.

I haven't had as much luck with it other places..swingarm pivot pins, wheel axles and such. For some reason it does not seem to protect against corrosion as well as Anti-Seize or my Hydrosyn (not waterproof) synthetic.

...that doesn't make sense to me, either.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

Anti-sieze sounds like a good idea on the axles. There was an article in Dirt Bike or Dirt Rider w/ Ty Davis on bike prep. He uses grease on the axles, but i'm pretty sure his wheels get taken off alot more than a casual trail riders would.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Back to that Fredette video of him changing a tire at the ISDE...

His back axle came out with just a pop of his hand. Obviously that machine was maintained for the event..but that's the way they should come out!

I had to bang on mine a good bit a couple weeks back when I changed tires. Guess I need to change tires more often!

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Mine came off similarly (I don't know if that a werd or not?) :partyman:
My axle hasa good coat of Hydrosyn

But I shirley can't put it back on as fast as he can!

I get my adjusters where I wantem and try tightening the nut and the friggen adjusters turn, what a P.I.T.A.

Where's my beer?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You have a washer on the outside of the adjuster, right?

Snug it up some, use that big brass drift of yours to seat both sides of the axle (not the adjuster, the axle) with the selected notch against the roll pin, THEN tighten the axle.

..with that washer between the nut and the snail.

..But don't ever ask me to call you shirley!

Of course 'similarly' is a werd. It's WERD that isn't a werd.

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

the fact that the weld is broke on the snail that's supposed to be attached to the axle might have something to do with it also :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:the fact that the weld is broke on the snail that's supposed to be attached to the axle might have something to do with it also :wink:
One of the snail adjusters is supposed to be attached to the axle? Is that on older machines?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Who's the hottie?'

That would be my Cindy.

Yes, she is. Well, as I understand the word. Maybe you mean something different, in which case, watch your mouth! :wink:

No beer there. Marty (Cindy's brother...the guy doing the robot) had just crawled up from a LONG ways down the slope after running straight into a sapling that was sticking out onto the road (skid trail). One of those 'straight on' things that you can't see 'cuz it's only a couple inches wide when it's sticking straight at you?

He's lucky we even found him! His bike was so far down you couldn't see it from the road. It took..was it five of us?...to haul the thing out, one 'oomph' at a time.

Uh...snail welded to the axle?

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|QBB<[/url]
canyncarvr wrote:
Uh...snail welded to the axle?
yup

can you see the red honda?
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yeah..but as I recall, we'd already moved it up a good bit before you took this picture. Where it actually ended up, I don't recall being able to see it at all!

Ah...the good old days...before ski had that scruff growing all over his face!

Consider the source

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Speaking of scruff.... :lol:

:oops: Couldn't resist, sorry. :wink:
Last edited by KDXer on 12:16 am Dec 09 2006, edited 1 time in total.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

yeah, he kinda looked all civilized and she-it

((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Hard to believe such a civilized guy would just whip it out right on the trail!

:roll:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

What was this thread about??
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

About? Hot grease or something like that.

KayD: You're just upset with me raggin on you 'bout switches, battries and things! C'mon over! I'll rub some poison oak in your eyes, send you a hundred feet or so down an old mine shaft and stick a camera flash in your face when you come out!

Actually..I don't usually look that good! :wink:

Looks like the hoary mornin' (Yukon Jack) is wear'n off, cuz ONE eye is almost open!!

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Ah yes!!!!

Yukon Jack.

Did you know the CC puts his Yukon Jack in a plastic lysterine bottle? It fooled me!!! I didn't touch the stuff for the first couple days. I thought he was trying to HIDE the smell of wiskey on his breath!! HA!!

I guess that bottle would throw the cops off if ever pulled over. However, how they could even find a bottle in your little bike hauler would be a mystery. I've not seen such a mess since I visited my son at college and got a look into his locker in the dorm room.

Cindy is a cute as a bug, knows how to cook, doctor up a trail injury, ride like the wind, and makes any guest feel like family. Second most beautiful girl on the planet!! (3 guesses who I think comes in first!)

Yup, the beard is back. People treat me kinder without the beard and don't mess with me as bad with the beard. I was getting my passport renewed yesterday and the photo was without beard. The gal at the counter said my photo made me look like an angel and that I look A LOT older now, than in the photo. Now that hurt!!

The photo of the red bike is with the zoom all the way up on that camera. It was a long ways down there. That one really scared Marty. Usually a rider just sruggs off even a bad hit out of embarassment. Marty was giving us instructions on how to treat internal bleeding in case he lost conousness. Whew!!

Back to topic:
I use that clear blue grease; Bel-Ray Waterproof. Works everywhere you need grease, is easy to find since just about any dirtbike shop will carry it, and the handy widemouth jar is easy to store.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!