Needles?

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Needles?

Post by canyncarvr »

Anyone running a DEJ in an RB carb? (oem PWK or AirStriker)

...or anyone tried one?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What needle profile are you running now CC? I KINDA get how the profiles work but have yet to mess with them. I know I should but kinda afraid I would end up with a totally improper needle. :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If it don't work, replace it with something else!

I'm running a DEK/4 right now. It runs fine..but..(there's always a but?)..I sure would like to get my clean 4-stroke-looking silencer snout back! Since the cylinder was ported I cannot get rid of the drips. Said drips btw NOT being related to a too rich jet-set. I've been around that horn-a-plenty. The spooge has gone down as the jet-set got richer. I've 'splained all that before.

Anyway..a 'J' being slightly richer in the lower throttle ranges, I was just curious if anyone had maybe run them both (K and J) and had an opinion.

I've run 'A's to 'E's on º, 'J's to 'M's on diameters and L1s varying by a handful of mm at every clip.

I haven't used my #6-TV for awhile. Maybe it's time to give it another go. ...it's never worked well before!

Just jump in and start swapping stuff around! You can always make things worse!

...wait..that's not right...........;)
Last edited by canyncarvr on 04:49 pm Feb 18 2005, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source

motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Hey cc I was just wondering, have you ever tried running different oils to see if that effects your wierd drippy problem. Oh and I'm going to buy a couple of needles to do some tinkering with what would you guys suggest as a good starting point.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

No, I haven't tried different oils.

Seeing as the bike was perfect prior to porting..same oil, same gasoline I have no reason to suspect the oil as part of the problem.

Besides, the bike runs better on the oil I use than it ever did on several other oils I 'tested' in the past. I'll stick with it.

BTW, I use Maxima SuperM @ 40:1.

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

CC... I suspect the porting is to blame for the dripping... as in less velocity due to less material. I bet your drip problem would be worse with a torque pipe.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I could argue that less velocity would cause less dropout of heavier (oil) globules. But, yeah..maybe a combination of abrubtly different/changing air/fuel 'speeds' due to port tuning that causes dropout in some ranges, then the pooled stuff being picked up when the 'tune' hits.

Which is to say...I have no idea.

I know the S/A tip was clean as a whistle before. It really did look like a 4-stroke. Dry as a bone. I do have a bit of a clue how to jet...I sure don't get this one.

I've pretty much quit worrying about it. It does run real well.

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

FWIW:
I too run that oil and ratio. I was dry as a bone with my last jetting but then I needed to rejet for the conditions and raised the needle 2 clips; from leanest (5) to the middle clip positon(3). Lean low speed bog (1/8 - 1/4 throttle) went away but spooges now. Not bad, just a drool after 20 miles or so. I may adjust the clip back down one to see what that does for performance and drooling, or I might drop the main by one size and leave the needle alone.
(Most probably, I'll just wipe it's little chin before anyone notices and enjoy the fact that the bike runs much better this way)

I guess what I'm saying is, my spooge is related to my going a bit richer on the needle and it is "normal" to expect it might do that. Your situation isn't normal. This isn't something you can just check from run to run because spooge can hang out in the pipe and pool up between rides, and it can saturate the S/A packing. Other than flushing out the exhaust system and KIPS chambers after each jetting change and before testing, I'm not sure there is a speedy way to see if the spooge problem is resolved between rejets.

****EDIT****
How about adding a "spit valve" to the pipe like on a trumpet? drill a hole and braze one on, then, during tests, stick a filter up, into the pipe (a Q-tip type device) and check for comparison. Place it after the header and just before the expansion chamber. Comparing the stain it will collect between jetting changes could determine how much spooge would be generated.
(I'm serious, but only if you think I'm serious. If you are laughing at me, then this was just a joke. )
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What about the CEK? I thought that was a pretty good profile.... :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

That's what I'm running but CC convinced me to also get a DEK. I just haven't tried it yet. He inferred that it would make the power more linear; kind of like the second sweet spot on the A/S. Is that right CC?
Instead, I modified my throttle tube and cut the slot a bit deeper and changed where the WOT stop was. This modification makes the throttle about a 1/2 turn throttle instead of the (about) 1/4 turn that stock is. By doing this, my throttle is less twitchy than before.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I haven't used my #6-TV for awhile. Maybe it's time to give it another go
Might be on to something there....Give it a go...Of course (as you know) that'll require extensive testing before you can figure out whether it helped or not, but you seem to be hankering to fiddle :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Don't you have a #7 in now? I thought a 6 would be richer. Maybe I've got that reversed.
Jerry

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You have got it right, skipro3. The smaller the number slide, the richer it is. Sudco shows 0 (zero) as the richest, as per their chart:

9.5 is the leanest.

I hope this helps.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yes I have a #7TV in now. I will try the #6 (richer) to make it spooge less.

That's 'cuz I found (after porting) that I had more spooge the more lean I went....to the point of sticking the thing.

I have changed the packing in my S/A every couple rides (and jet changes) to lessen the 'pooling' idea.

My throttle is too 'long' as it is. I have to pay attention, else I find myself thinking I'm at 'WOT' when only about 3/4. It's much easier to keep up with a certain 250X when the throttle is really all the way open. Had a lot of fun doing that this past Sunday! :grin: Life is good when I can throw lots'a rocks at a brand new $6000 Honda!! He asked if his taillight was working....then (darn! I didn't think of it first) he said, 'How would you know. You haven't been behind me!' Now...that wasn't exactly TRUE...but it was funny, anyway.

I found the CEK to be just too much of a handful. Hits like a ton of bricks! Fun for awhile...but a 70 mile ride would completely wear me out. It's a circuit transistion thing. The DEK is richer-later because the taper (steeper) starts further down the needle. The bottom end works better with a (resultant) leaner-longer (straight-further?) of the D angle needle. IMO and all that stuff.

I don't think a q-tip type device would survive. The hole would have to be plugged when not 'used.' Altogether one more thing to do that I'd have to put on the list of things I already DON'T do.

Besides...you weren't serious anyway! :wink:

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Ha!! Too much beer behind that idea. Anyway, look for a post soon about the China Hat ISDE. Doug and I are signing up!
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

China Hat? You will be driving right past the State of Jefferson!

If you want to take an extra day (or two) to ride 'round here...speak up!

I don't know when the China Hat runs. I'll ask Mr. Google.

Consider the source

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Cool....Let us know how the #6/rejet works out...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project