Stock Silencer with Gnarly

Got questions? We got answers....
OldRedd

Stock Silencer with Gnarly

Post by OldRedd »

Hey guys, I just ordered new sprockets, chain, and the gnarly "torque" pipe from Fredette. Just wondering if this pipe still makes a huge difference with the stock silencer, as I plan on keeping the stock silencer until I get some more money. Also, Jeff Fredette says you can keep the stock jetting with the pipe? I plan on keeping that stock for a while also. Any input/suggestions? Thanks guys. This site is really helpful. :supz:
grump99

Post by grump99 »

I run a torque pipe with the stock silencer. I noticed a big increase in power (when jetted close). I kept the stock silencer because it is quiet and does not need re-packing. It is heavy though. IMO, DF3 reeds and the RB carb-mod are better investments. Good luck.
:mrgreen:

Tony
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

gnarly and stock here as well. pipe was a great improvement for me as well. i'm fine with the extra 5 pounds and no maintenance vs lighter and having to repack all the time. i like how quiet it is too. i do not enjoy riding with a loud exhaust, the quads might find my stash of single track. :lol:
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
OldRedd

Post by OldRedd »

Cool guys thanks for the input. What jetting are you guys running? Would I still notice an substancial increase with stock jetting? :rolleyes:
2005 KDX220-Completely stock
1998 XR200-Supertrapp Exhaust
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Before I had my carb modded, I ran 152/42 in summer, 155/45 in winter (KDX 200).
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Which bike do you have Redd?

I, too, retained the stock silencer for the same reason - a quieter ride. Can't provide any comparison, though, because it's all I've had. I still felt quite a difference after installing the "desert" or "rev" version of the gnarly, even more noticeable with better jetting.

Jetting changes? Get some plugs and do some WOT chops for optimal performance, well worth the time (do a search) - you'll get the most out of that pipe. But open up that airbox a little, too, if you haven't already (again, do a search).

Your on the RIGHT site and on the RIGHT track!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

damn, just spent 5 minutes on a post and the baby ate the mouse and erased it all

i was saying, that i have never done any thing to the jetting since i bought it. the guy i bought my 98 from just had a top end and said he just had the carb sent of to "..."(can't remember) and had it set up for tennessee. he gave me the old jets in a plastic bag, which i have laying around somewhere. i have had the biek for 2.5 years and have done nothing to it other than adjusted the pin 1 click and the air screw one half turn just cause i thought i was running rich and should do that. i have race an enduro and hare scrammbles. hell i haven't even chaged the plug in over 14 months. most of this is why i haven't convinced myself to get a KTM yet. i keep waffling, but i think i am going to get an autoclutch and keep the kdx.

did you ask for my life story? :partyman:
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
GS

Post by GS »

layoutd,
You mean there's more? :razz:
OldRedd

Post by OldRedd »

Well, actually, I have both bikes the '05 220 and the '06 200. The 220 will be kept stock for some time. I am modding my 200. I race harescrambles and am actually coming off of a '98 XR200 :shock: I have no experience with jetting, but I've heard it's not too bad. I do most of my riding in noreastern Pennsylvania, not sure of the elevation, etc. Any jetting suggestions with the torque bike for my area? Also, what are the stock jet settings on a KDX? :hmm:
OldRedd

Post by OldRedd »

I think I'm gonna e-mail Jeff Fredette and see what he thinks..
OldRedd

Post by OldRedd »

Well I got my pipe today, it turns out they made a mistake and sent me the Rev pipe instead of the woods pipe! I think I'm going to keep it though, as I feel its better for racing. I also like to keep the RPMS up while out riding more than lugging around. Does the rev pipe still open the bike up all around the powerband, or strictly just at the top? I've heard that either pipe would significantly open the bike up. :grin:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

RE: Still open the bike up all around [with the rev pipe]?

I can't speak for the 200, personally, but can tell you that my 220 gained performance everywhere, especially on top! I suspect similar gains on the 200 although my understanding based on reading is the upper gains are more pronounced.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Old Redd
(Still open the bike up all around [with the rev pipe)
Just put a rev pipe on my 2005 200 and the bike woke up.
HUGE difference in power and rev just off idle.
I lost a tad on the low end torque and now am able
to pull a wheelie in 4th gear.
I did a VF3 and a silencer first then the pipe.
Should have done the pipe first thing.
Stock jetting is PIG RICH so you don't blow it up
under the generous 6 month warranty-
stock numbers are:
Pilot 48
Main 160
Needle R1174k/third groove from top
Slide #5

Your elevation in mansfield is 1100-1500ft
You have fouled out how many plugs ???
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'it turns out they made a mistake and sent me the Rev pipe instead of the woods pipe!'

Please do check that. FmF has screwed up so many times I've lost count..wrong part numbers, wrong pipes, wrong BEND to pipes, etc etc.

Measure the circumference of the largest section of your pipe.

What is it?

The two pipes do NOT jet the same. Thinking you have one and jetting for the other will lead to considerably frustration.

The two bikes (200/220) are not at all the same, either. There is considerably more difference than displacement. The result of pipe 'A' on bike 'A' is not going to be the same as pipe 'A' on bike 'B'. I'm not taking exception to riders' comments, just taking note that the two bikes are considerably different.

Ballpark for the 200 (rev profile, snorkel off, reasonably oiled clean filter 40:1): 40/150/CEL-4 summer, 42/152/CEL-4 winter. Run an -EG plug gapped to a skinny .030" if you have an aftermarket lighting coil.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
OldRedd

Post by OldRedd »

Measure the circumference of the largest section of your pipe.

Just measured the pipe, its appx. 14-15" circumference at the fattest point.
The pipe is for the 200 ( I should have mentioned that earlier)

I'm new to this jetting stuff, but I'm trying to learn. :?
What does the higher/lower numbers for the pilot and main jets mean? The higher the richer? Or the higher the leaner, etc? I always mix 32:1 also.
Your elevation in mansfield is 1100-1500ft
You have fouled out how many plugs ???
Actually, I do most of my riding near Towanda, Pa and wilkes-barre,Pa. I go to school in mansfield. Does elevation play that big of a role in jetting?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You did. Mention it that is.

A 14" pipe is indeed a rev profile (from FmF anyway).

In jets, the bigger the number, the bigger the hole, the more fuel flows, more rich.

In needles, the bigger the 'number' the larger the obstruction (it's sticking IN a jet 'hole') to fuel flow, more lean.

The adjustable screw on your carb is an AIR screw (as opposed to FUEL screw). The further out, the more air, the more lean.

Elevation plays a considerable role in jetting. The higher the el., the less air (in a given volume), the more lean the bike will need be jetted (to be 'correct'). Air pressure matters with el. changes, too. Fuel does not get 'sucked' into the airstream..it gets pushed in via pressure differences.

Hold your hand out the car window..flat..at sealevel...at 70mph. Do the same thing at 10,000'el. Not the same 'eh?

Temperature plays a considerable role, also. The colder the temps, the more air, the more rich the bike will need to be jetted.

Humidity has an effect, too. 90º in Azirona isn't likely going to require the same jetting result as 90º in S. Caroliner.

It's not a matter of changing jetting 13 different times during a day's ride. It's not THAT big a deal. The above conditions and how they effect jetting requirements are just things to consider.

Example: A 20-30º change in base temps will be in the range of a one size up..biggern number.. main jet (when colder) and vicey versa.

When your daily temps change twice that...just run what you brung!

Load up your 1000'el. jetted bike and head off to visit Colorada without rejetting and your bike is going to run 'fer crap. Well...it's gonna run bad ANYway..but you might as well set it up the best you can!
Last edited by canyncarvr on 07:27 pm Dec 26 2006, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source

OldRedd

Post by OldRedd »

Wow thanks canyncarvr. Does the ratio 32:1, 40:1, etc matter with jetting?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yes, it does.

I propounded just such in a recent thread in 'General Chatter'.

Again..the 'facts' of the matter shouldn't get in the way of RIDING the thing. Considering the vagaries of jetting, it's never going to be perfect..and it doesn't have to BE perfect to have a good ride..so don't get wrapped up too tight in it...just enough to know what's going on, why, how to fix it if you wanted to maybe........

Premix ratios are commonly confused with air/fuel ratios. A 32:1 premix is more lean air/fuel wise than in 40:1. In a given volume of fuel, there is MORE gasoline in the 40: than the 32:. A mention of running a 'richer' (or leaner) premix needs to be clarified. 'Richer/leaner what?' The person making the comment may not know!. As long as you do...that's the point.

You may 'lean out' your premix by changing from 40: to 50:, but in the process you are richening your air/fuel ratio.

Consider the source

OldRedd

Post by OldRedd »

Well, finally put the pipe on yesterday and went for about an hour ride. Very impressed with the way it opened my bike up. However, near the end of the ride, I fouled a plug :roll: Jeff Fredette recommended that I should run my air screw out about one turn (i totally forgot to do it). Could that have caused my plug to foul? btw, I havnt changed my plug since the summer (used to riding the old XR haha). Or, is this a jetting issue?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You can run the same plug in a KDX for years!

I suggest you change it yearly though.... :wink:

It's jetting...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "