Stock Silencer with Gnarly

Got questions? We got answers....
OldRedd

Post by OldRedd »

Ballpark for the 200 (rev profile, snorkel off, reasonably oiled clean filter 40:1): 40/150/CEL-4 summer, 42/152/CEL-4 winter. Run an -EG plug gapped to a skinny .030" if you have an aftermarket lighting coil.
I'm thinking this is the way to go. A little richer (not ridiculously rich like stock) for winter, and a leaner for summer. Should I still run the air screw one complete turn out?
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

'Dem pipes are cool, eh Redd? :grin:

Getting that jetting right makes even MORE of a difference, and the difference is substantial enough that you will not regret the effort
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Usually anywhere from 1 to 2.5 out. Depends on the temps and the jetting.

It is a trial and error thing. It's not one setting.... it varies... even in a day.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
OldRedd

Post by OldRedd »

Well, in getting this jetting adventure underway, I just looked up the elevations of the 3 areas where I usually ride. They are:
Towanda, Pa = 737 feet
Wilkes-Barre, Pa=550 feet
Plymouth, Pa (right across the river from Wilkes-Barre)=540 feet

Can you say, running a little rich? :shock:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

And to clarify.... what is your jetting right now?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
OldRedd

Post by OldRedd »

Currently stock jetting with no other mods besides removed snorkel, and FmF "rev" pipe.
160 main
48 pilot
2005 KDX220-Completely stock
1998 XR200-Supertrapp Exhaust
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes.... pig rich.

Drop to a 155/45 and adjust from there. This combo is safe and should not foul any plugs.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

OldRedd

Post by OldRedd »

Thanks for all your help. Just ordered a bunch of spark plugs and two new main jets 155,152 and two new pilot jets 45,42. I'll keep you posted. :cool:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Yes.... pig rich.

Drop to a 155/45 and adjust from there. This combo is safe and should not foul any plugs.
If you don't mind me asking this question... How do you see the ring when checking a plug chop? Do you take the plug apart?

I have found 155/45 too be WAY lean, I did not do a plug chop but I was bogging so badly, I went to the 158 and it works great above 30 degrees.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Air screw and needle position my friend!

You have to cut the jacket off the plug to see the ring.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

OldRedd

Post by OldRedd »

Would I have to move the stock needle position? Or should I just change the pilot and main jets first and adjust the air screw? Also, by turning the air screw "out", is this clockwise or counter clockwise? What does turning the screw"out" do? I remember when the bike was stock and i went from summer riding to fall riding (temp. difference) I needed to adjust this screw, however, I just messed with it until the bike idled right again for the temperature. Sorry for all the noob questions :rolleyes:
OldRedd

Post by OldRedd »

I recently just recieved a Powercore II silencer as a gift and installed it. :supz: Wow! Even more of a difference. I couldn't believe the difference in weight from the stock silencer. Now, if I only had the time to mess with jetting lately....