Boyesen vs VF3 reeds?

Got questions? We got answers....
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Still don't look like any VF3 I've ever seen :roll:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

What's the point of the pics?

The 3 pictured looks nothing like the KDX application...if that matters somehow.

Wibby has a pic of his stock cage/reeds. It's been posted here before. I have it around someplace..don't find it offhand. If you're that interested, I'll take a pic of mine tonight.

**edit**
Found it:

Last edited by canyncarvr on 12:46 pm Dec 07 2006, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I can't find that pic
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:I can't find that pic
Hey there it is!
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Duckbills!!!
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I'm curious, probably already covered, but . . .

what's the effect of removing the duck bills, fastening just the reeds?

Silly?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

You take the duckbills off for the 607's, don't know what it would do with the stockers?
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

I don't need no pictures. I have a VF3 in my hot little hands.

And no, it doesn't look like the one in the picture (that is, mine is half the size and half the number of petals). Cut the width in half and remove the plastic spoilers and you have it.

I'll install it on Sunday and report back.

Rick
Last edited by AZRickD on 12:09 am Dec 07 2006, edited 1 time in total.
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:You take the duckbills off for the 607's, don't know what it would do with the stockers?
Oh, really!!

I suspect Santa will be bringing me some 607's . . . guess I've been sorta naughty so I'll need to settle on them instead of the highly-praised Vforce system . . .

Are the 607's studier or thicker or something, so as not to require the duckbills? Anyone think I'd mess anything up (more flapping = fragments, for example) by trying the stockers out without the duckbills, just to see before I put in the 607's
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Here is my VF3

I have a question.

Since the RB-Designs carb has the divider which is designed to keep the velocity up through the venturi and the VF3 reed block has a low speed side and a high speed side, is there any consideration give to which side is mounted on top?

I was wondering if, say, the low velocity side of the reed block were on top, and the low velocity side of the carb is on the bottom... would the movement of the air cross-ways from the carb venturi to the reed block make any difference?

Thinking too much as usual.

Thanks,
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yes, you are thinking too much.

And...to no good end OR avail!! :wink:

When it comes to putting it in, try to fit it different ways.

You will find there are no different ways to fit it.

It goes in only one way. The 'label' faces OUT.

Hint: Look at the air guide. Same sort of thing as the white phenolic air guide in the stock cage. IT only goes in one way, too.

OK OK...it DOES go in two ways, but only one correct way!!

Coming Soon!: 'How I took out the VF3 airguide, turned it upsided down and made my reed cage work very much better!'

Re: 'what's the effect of removing the duck bills, fastening just the reeds?

What's the purpose of the duckbills is the answer. Their purpose is to limit reed movement (and probably flutter).

Considering that the Boyesens don't USE the duckbills (but do use a mounting plate), one could conclude the stops are not necessary.

THAT conclusion would have to include this fact: The Boyesen and OEM reeds are the same in construction, lay-up, tension, strength and flexability.

I don't know that to be so. Very much doubt that it IS so.

Ha! I just took a look at that ad noted on page 1 of this thread. What a plethora of misinformation!!

So, THAT'S where the pic of the '3' came from (that's not a 3). And the whole write-up saying how great the VF3 IS has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE VF3 either!

The VF3 does NOT have adjustable anything. It has no reed stops...not that you DO anything with I mean.

There have been instances of riders ORDERING a 3 and GETTING a 2. This is probably one of those places.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

I installed the VF3 this afternoon. My Boyesen reeds looked to be in good shape.

After having some float troubles (peeing) I adjusted (the wrong way) causing the bike to not run. I corrected the problem and got the machine to fire up. I ran it around for a warm-up and then took it to a deserted street for some testing.

The reeds certainly sound different. Not quite as flappy (?). Maybe a higher pitch? (I have no idea).

I only rode it around for a few minutes but found throttle response to be fine. Probably quicker than the Boyesen (I'm gue$$ing, here).

Anywayz... I have a barely used Boyesen set up if anyone wants to make an offer.

Rick
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

$10? :pop:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

or you could donate them to someone in need

Jerry gave me his back when I was an unemployed bum :grin:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Good idea Wibs! I will match that with something I have that someone is in need of... Kinda like a KDXRIDER CHRISTMAS!!! :supz: :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

:partyman: :partyman:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Hey (you cheapskates)...

How about a KDXRider "White Elephant Gift Exhange?"

Rick
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That'd be cool! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I have a name ramdomizer For anyone who want in....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've got a woods pipe. It looks funny since the fire but I bet it works fine. Somehow the metal is now a grinch shade of green.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!