Boyesen rad valve -VS- VForce3

Got questions? We got answers....
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

I took my right kips side cover off, loosened the nut to move the claw type gear out of the way, so I could turn the kips center shaft by hand. Both sides are correctly timed according to the marks, and I can turn it fairly easily by hand. There is tension, but it isn't hard to turn. It does not snap back as if spring loaded. It stays open, and then I turn it back closed. It seems right from what i've read here, i'm just not sure if it's supposed to snap back, although I think it does that when the engine is running. The two side valves open as well as the larger one on top. All that sound about right to you fellers? Now I'll just have to wait until I get it all back togetherand running to see if it snaps open and closed....and go order that right side kips cover gasket.... :?
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I never said looking at the left side inspection gizmo was the whole deal. I knew the valves had been checked already, and simply offered up the next step of how you see if they are really being actuated when the bike is running. Seeing the nut (under the left side round cover) move, tells you the stuff in the crankcase is working, but not that the actual valves are timed correctly (or even there in CC's case) . Looking in the cylinder (Uh,, without the motor running ) and watching the valves move as you manually turn that same nut, helps with that.

so there.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

My bike woke up !!!
After doing the reeds(VF3),fixing the kips, replacing the air filter(K&N),
replacing the muffler(FMF TC2)with just small improvements the bike
"WOKE UP" with a FMF gnarley desert pipe!
It's like riding a different bike, 3 gears of wheelies and 4 if you try alittle.
Major improvement. Now just the RB mod to top it off then play with the
gears a bit.
The pipe is the first thing anyone should do trying to pick up power and speed on a stock bike.
All I can say is that I was amazed !! :lol:
I was smiling like the dude on this post during the first ride...
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Don't forget to send ya head along with ya carb, don't forget the finger air screw and allen head fuel bowl screws. Mitas well do it all at once, hey ?!? :wink:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."