Plastic renew?

Got questions? We got answers....
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Plastic renew?

Post by Rick »

I got some fork skins for my 250 a while back from PC Racing. One of there other products was Plastic Renew. Its supposed to renew the look of your plastic by sanding it, and recoating it with some kind of finish. I could see how it would work, because plasic, for the most part, is the same color all the way through. But at the same time, I beleive it is also pourous, like a sponge. So if it had a big gas or oil stain, it would be soaked all the way through. Most of my plastics are great, except for the tank. Has anyone used this, or anything like it? Did It work well? Its only about $25. Thanks :supz:
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Works for about 15 minutes.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

I take that as dont waste my $$$$
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah... lot of work for fading results. The tank is not made out of the same plastic... it breathes and as such, it fades anyway from the chemical reaction.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Any other remedies besides a new tank? Its not in too bad of shape. Just a little faded with a few scrapes/gouges, but doesnt quite match the newer shrouds and other plastics.
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

No biggie... let 'er ride. Very little of it showing.... but you could buff it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Plastic renew?

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Rick91'250 wrote:I got some fork skins for my 250 a while back from PC Racing. One of there other products was Plastic Renew. Its supposed to renew the look of your plastic by sanding it, and recoating it with some kind of finish. I could see how it would work, because plasic, for the most part, is the same color all the way through. But at the same time, I beleive it is also pourous, like a sponge. So if it had a big gas or oil stain, it would be soaked all the way through. Most of my plastics are great, except for the tank. Has anyone used this, or anything like it? Did It work well? Its only about $25. Thanks :supz:
I've used the stuff successfully on the plastic on my son's JR80 (I'll get some pics posted). For your gastank - if you spill your premix on it you likely will have to reapply more of the coating.

Some points on the Plastic Renew in general:
Downsides:
-Decals don't stick well to the coating so it's great to get new decals/graphics in place after the sanding but before the coats.
-The instructions recommend against degreasers off the coated surfaces. This, however, is where you'll run into problems - if you spill any gas on the tank you'll have dull plastic (I think this is what Inda meant). For the record, we've washed the JR several times with carwash soap, no problems.
-It's difficult to get deep scratches - possible but LOTS of sanding. What works best is to get most of the lighter scratches and leave the deeper scratches.

The upside is that it makes dull-looking plastics brighter/cleaner - not perfectly new but certainly better.

Come to think of it, I may have a suggestion for an alternative but I'll need to check tomorrow. IF it works it's basically an acrylic coating thats VERY durable, I just need to make sure a little gas isn't a problem.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Thats great! My tank and fenders are the only spots that need attention. The fenders are scratched, but not faded. The tank is both. Nothing else, i think it would make these parts blend in better if the were shinyier. Is that a word?
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

I have used Plastic renew and have had good results with it, but it is a lot of work. If you want it to look nice you have to do a lot of sanding at least I did on my plastic. An orbital sander worked great to get the gig scratches out. I will also tell you that I wont ever buy plastic renew again. Now I just use floor polish. It is really easy to do a one over on the plastics with some fine steel wool and apply a couple coats of polish to get the sine back.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
motorider200 wrote:
. . . Now I just use floor polish . . .
You know, 'never even thought about it at the time, but when I used the Renew it seemed familiar in some way . . .

now I know!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Futura! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Mop-n-Glow

Works great, can be stripped with a little amonia in the wash water, and you can apply it with a cloth rag anytime; even on dirty plastic since it's a cleaner and clear coat all in one.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Same stuff I think....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Rick91'250 wrote:Thats great! My tank and fenders are the only spots that need attention. The fenders are scratched, but not faded. The tank is both. Nothing else, i think it would make these parts blend in better if the were shinyier. Is that a word?
I hope to get the answer on the acrylic material . . . tomorrow (sorry for the delay)

BTW - I noticed you live in Independence! Where U ride at? I live in La Grange, 'lets do some ridin' weather permitting (could be, like, next spring at this point). My son and I ride mostly on private land and Bucks Run, Dtrack occasionally (he LOVES the mx tracks).

CLICK FOR PICS!
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

I only got ot ride once this year because i just bought my bike. My neighbor use to own a MX shop and saw my bike outside, and stopped to talk. Come to find out, he owns some property in Butler, Ky which is about a half an hour away. I use to ride at this place about 12 years ago. Its pretty much trails, with a few jumps. Says hes going to redo it this spring because its so rocky and rutted. Its private, but he gave me a key to get in and told me to use it any time. I use to go to Haspin Acres in Indiana, and plan on going back this spring.
2002 DL1000 V-STROM