racing my first harescramble sunday

Got questions? We got answers....
sluggo69

racing my first harescramble sunday

Post by sluggo69 »

im gonna give the gulfcoast sandblasters harescramble a go on sunday. the course will be some grasstrack and 10-15 miles of woods. should i race the 200c class or the beginner class. if any of the seasoned racers have any tips id appreciate it. :prayer:

thanks,,sluggo
03 kdx/kx200... my lil woods weapon
07 zuki ozark250...xmas present for my son
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

sluggo - I'm not a seasoned racer by any stretch - 'been years since I've raced anything - but I'll say "Godspeed".

Make us proud and tell us how it goes!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Go at a consistant fast speed never over your ability. Do not pay too much attention to the guy behind you until he gets real close. Don't let him control your bike. Raise your left hand and let him pass on the left if you can. Crashing hurts and takes a lot of energy out of you and breakes things. Look far ahead and always be ready for the guy in front of you to crash cuz he will be payin too much attention to you or over-riding his ability to stay in front of you. Drink often during the race. Drink a big ol gator aid or power aide 1 hour before the race (pre-hydrate). Avoiding serious crashes is paramount. I did not do that the first 3 times out and didn't finish. Everytime I backed down a little and stayed within my ability I finished all 4 or 5 laps and the bike was in one piece. I run them like an enduro only with no clock and I go as fast as I can on the easy fast places.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

class really won't affect your riding, but if you want to feel better about your self you should ride beginner. I wish i did on my first race. i race vet c (over 30), there were more sand bags than a new orleans flood. i could have sworn i saw John Dowd and Esra Lusk in my row. The top Vet C rider was within 15 sec of the race winner. you won't know what class you are in on the track, i personally was just in gogogogogo mode. Don't be afraid to stop and do let people pass.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Pace yourself, learn the track on the 1st lap. Do a beginner class. When coming into a new section or out of a turn LOOK AHEAD BEFORE YOUR GET ON THE PIPE!!
I am wearing a cast for close to 3 months because I DID NOT DO THAT. ITS A LONG RACE & SOME GUYS WILL FLY & BURN THEMSELVES OUT. So its better to treat it as a FAST TRAIL RIDE & you will gain on others because of their exhaustion. I mix 1/2 Gatorade & 1/2 Water. Also, Loosen................Arms, Legs, Back
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

And YES.. You will have AA, A & B riders dropping class for contingency moneys
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Same stuff as everyone else said.
I find it nearly impossible ti ride my own pace the first lap, ending up with arm pump early and having a hard time recovering. If I can get through the first three miles without overdoing it, I'm usually O.K.
That's just me, though.
The laps are around 9 miles, as I recall, and you'll end up running three laps.
If this is your first HS, run the Beginner Class. That is what it is for.

The Sandblasters HS is usually pretty good, but the course is rooty where it is old trail, and rooty where it is new trail. Most of it runs in a pine forest with fairly sandy soil. Did I mention lots of roots sticking up all over?

They have the best Enduro every year, in my book. Canceled last year due to Katrina, and maybe this year also, we'll see.

We have some good riding over near Mobile, if you are interested. We've got a 20 mile loop of single track. When you can make it three times around non stop, you're close to ready for an Enduro :supz:

Anyway, with Luck, Safety, and Reasonable Speed you'll do just fine

Karl
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy