Kick starter gears or something else?

Got questions? We got answers....
vinny

Kick starter gears or something else?

Post by vinny »

Hi everyone, well I'm on problem number 3. When i got the bike (93' KDX200) I noticed that the about half the time you try to kick it over the kick starter doesn't engage at all. It just goes all the way down and the spring brings it all the way back up with nothing in between. I figured the gear on the kickstarter shaft had some teeth broken but it looks fine. As a matter of fact everything looks perfect. All the gears look new and the spring and ratchet mechanicals look fine. Any ideas?

As a side note there is a plastic or nylon gear right above the crank shaft on the same side that has one tooth that is half broken off should I worry about this? Other than that every thing looks great.

Vinny
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Can you see the problem by kicking the bike slowly over by hand with the side case off ??

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
vinny

Post by vinny »

No but I have found something that may be a problem. I have the kickstarter shaft out and have a question. Ok , The main gear on the shaft will move about an 1/8 back and fourth between the snap ring and the shoulder of the shaft............ WAIT WAIT WAIT. I think I got it. This is crazy, the snap ring isn't seated in the groove! It is about 1/8 away. That doesn't make sense.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

There's ya problem right dare. Snap the clip back in its groove and it should keep it from moving, right ?!?

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
vinny

Post by vinny »

I think your right. I wonder how it got out of the groove? What about the plastic gear?

Vinny
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Should be fine. If it doesn't hit 'powerband' nice and hard then look into that and your KIPS.

stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

When I got my first KDX200 back in '89, it had the exact same thing happen to it. It was just a few weeks after I got it, so it was fixed under warranty, so I haven't a clue what the problem was.