2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Truck or Trailer?

Post by 2001kdx »

How do you move your bike?
nykdxer

Post by nykdxer »

I have a enclosed trailer but sometimes it easier to just put in the back of the truck and go.
04 kdx 200
tim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tim »

I have a trailer also, but mostly use the hitch mounted hauler I built. So I voted truck.
06 200H

GALLERY!
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by marco220 »

Where's the hitch mounted carrier option?? Seems there were several people using those when I asked about them a few months back.
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

I don't crash often... but when I do, I'm going for style points!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I use a trailer but am thinking about getting a subaru baja (4 doors sedan breeded with a truck)
Any comment on this car? (good or bad)
wilf
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

How about pulling a trailer with a truck? Where's that option?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I've gotta cheapy . . . Harbor Freight. $250 and a good 4 hours to assemble.

The unique thing is, because I plan on replacing the plywood next spring with metal decking, I have a temporary arrangement to hold the bikes in place. It very much ended up resembling a hitching post of sort. Works OK but doesn't look too trick . . .

If I get to it I'll snap a pic, it'll be worth a laugh
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:How about pulling a trailer with a truck? Where's that option?
That means you use a trailer.
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

When I get my trailer I'll use it for haulin the bikes.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

>|<>QBB<
Jeb wrote:I've gotta cheapy . . . Harbor Freight. $250 and a good 4 hours to assemble.

The unique thing is, because I plan on replacing the plywood next spring with metal decking, I have a temporary arrangement to hold the bikes in place. It very much ended up resembling a hitching post of sort. Works OK but doesn't look too trick . . .

If I get to it I'll snap a pic, it'll be worth a laugh
I bought the same trailer. Used sheetmetal screws through the 1 inch plywood taken from a construction site that thing is great except the wheel bearings are mad of aluminum foil so keep them packed or buy new ones.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

. . . that thing is great except the wheel bearings are mad of aluminum foil so keep them packed or buy new ones.
:shock:

Thanks for the tip
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Pete Fetz

Post by Pete Fetz »

Here's another option! License it for the street and you don't need truck or trailer. Works for me unless I want to go long distances.
Pete
06 KDX200
performancecycle

Post by performancecycle »

I pull my bikes around on a 5x8 trailer with my acura rsx-s via a hand made hitch I built on my car, took it 500 miles one time. Ha ha you now your in the south when you see me going down the road.
Frank ZX

Post by Frank ZX »

Old Ford Econoline Van. It's great,keeps the bikes and tools dry and doubles as a camper. :partyman:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Hmm, I never got to this poll. Anyways...

Option C: Neither, I dualsport mine! :mrgreen:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

Both
92kdxRider
Supporting Member

Post by 92kdxRider »

I don't have either right now, but i'm looking into getting a truck. Actually renting a U-haul van to go riding this weekend. Tired of relying on my other friends to get to the trails/riding spots. It seems like a van might not be a bad idea either as opposed to a pick-up truck. A couple guys from work even suggested getting a hitch for my 4dr Civic and hauling a small motorcycle trailer. Anyone have any experience with this setup? Seems kinda silly to me. Unless i could get one of those hitch mounted carrier's that haul the bike perpendicular (sp?) to the car. That seems like it might make more sense.
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

I've done all four. Trailer, truck, hauler, and dual sport.

We usually take the trailer because most of our riding is close and it's super easy to just leave the bikes and all gear on the trailer and unhitch it. Plus the squirrel has an easier time putting her bike on the trailer.

If i ride alone, I just dual sport it mostly.

If we go far, we use the truck.

Since I replaced my Suburban with a Subaru I don't use my hitch hauler anymore. I had my buddy fab me up a heavy duty hitch for the Forester but I've only tested it out with the KDX on the back once. Works great.
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

>|<>QBB<
92kdxRider wrote: Seems kinda silly to me. Unless i could get one of those hitch mounted carrier's that haul the bike perpendicular (sp?) to the car. That seems like it might make more sense.
You need to find out what your car can handle as far as tongue weight and, if it can carry the load, get hitch with a high enough rating. My Subaru is rated for only 200 or 240 lbs. depending on the literature, here in the states, but in Europe and Australia it's rated for 300+ from what I found in my research. I bought a class II with a 350lb. rating and had my friend put on a 2" receiver and gusset the crap out of it. Then I tested it on the car for a while and it works great.

I would recommend the type of hauler where a bike sits in a rail because the shape of the frame on a KDX puts the front wheel to close to the ground when mounted on a low car. I had drill and countersink some aluminium stock to use as spacers under the front frame on my KDX to keep the wheel from dragging with my Ultimate MX hauler. For a front wheel drive car a trailer might be safer though.
92kdxRider
Supporting Member

Post by 92kdxRider »

>|<>QBB<
bcdonyo wrote:>|<>QBB<
92kdxRider wrote: Seems kinda silly to me. Unless i could get one of those hitch mounted carrier's that haul the bike perpendicular (sp?) to the car. That seems like it might make more sense.
You need to find out what your car can handle as far as tongue weight and, if it can carry the load, get hitch with a high enough rating. My Subaru is rated for only 200 or 240 lbs. depending on the literature, here in the states, but in Europe and Australia it's rated for 300+ from what I found in my research. I bought a class II with a 350lb. rating and had my friend put on a 2" receiver and gusset the crap out of it. Then I tested it on the car for a while and it works great.

I would recommend the type of hauler where a bike sits in a rail because the shape of the frame on a KDX puts the front wheel to close to the ground when mounted on a low car. I had drill and countersink some aluminium stock to use as spacers under the front frame on my KDX to keep the wheel from dragging with my Ultimate MX hauler. For a front wheel drive car a trailer might be safer though.
Yeah i'd hafta agree with you, whether or not its been done before by someone else with a civic, towing or hauling anything with a front wheel drive just doesn't make sense to me. I'm just gonna wait out till the right truck comes along, in the mean time i've been either renting a u-haul van or using my buddies ranger :wink: