No spark - 1987 KDX200. Need to test the stator/magneto

Got questions? We got answers....
revingtosh

No spark - 1987 KDX200. Need to test the stator/magneto

Post by revingtosh »

Hi,

I dont get a spark at the plug, so ive disconnected everything electrical so that all im left with, are the multiplug, and the additional single wire that comes from the stator.

If i were to remove the spark plug (to release the compression) and kick the engine over, how can i test the 3 wires with a multimeter and what should i be looking for?

For info, the stator is a brand new Genuine Kawasaki part.
The magneto previously had 2 loose magnets which i have rebonded using JB Weld. 1 of the magnets split into 2 pieces, but as it was a clean break they married up quite nicely.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

The magneto previously had 2 loose magnets which i have rebonded using JB Weld. 1 of the magnets split into 2 pieces, but as it was a clean break they married up quite nicely.
Are you SURE the magnet won't break again or get loose? If they do, won't you ruin your magneto and stator?
revingtosh

Post by revingtosh »

As sure as i can be yes.

The problem is, that i cant seem to locate a spare flywheel for this bike, ive tried everywhere but there are none available!

6 weeks ago i paid $145 to Smith Cycle Salvage in North Carolina for a replacement flywheel. Theyve taken my money and stopped returning calls, surprise surprise no goods have arrived!

So i have little choice but to repair the old one.

Mike
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I know there are more than just a few of those around. I see older parts KDX's on eBay all the time.... Check it out.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
revingtosh

Post by revingtosh »

Yes,

I have practically rebuilt this bike with stuff from ebay.

Please believe me when i say that there are no flywheels out there!
Plenty of bikes breaking/parting out, but the flywheels have always been sold before the listing.

The broken magnet thing is a known issue with the '86 '87 '88 models sadly.

Mike
revingtosh

Post by revingtosh »

Ok problem solved.

After i bit of research i found the multimeter settings necessary to diagnose the issue.

It turns out that the brand new stator (new old stock) was fooked.

Is it possible to have these repaired? or is it cheaper to buy a new one?

Mike
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
revingtosh wrote:Yes,

I have practically rebuilt this bike with stuff from ebay.

Please believe me when i say that there are no flywheels out there!
Plenty of bikes breaking/parting out, but the flywheels have always been sold before the listing.

The broken magnet thing is a known issue with the '86 '87 '88 models sadly.

Mike
Your right - I don't believe you E-Bay item # 140057682809 or item #260057858651 :grin: :evil: :razz: Your Welcome!!!!!!!! One is for a 90 model which I think would fit your bike.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
revingtosh

Post by revingtosh »

How can you be sure that these wil fit? Have you done this mod before?

According to my Kawasaki parts guide, only the unit from an 86 87 or 88 will fit.

Mike
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Revingtosh (mike) - Sorry - I really DO NOT KNOW if the flywheel will fit!!!

I just did a quick search and come up the the two flywheels. Seems like many parts interchange on different year KDXs so I jumped to the conclusion this may help you. I would go to someone with more experience in this era of bike.

P.S. When looking at parts guides and fiche not all manufactures mark updated interchangable parts on their guides or fiche. If it was known to be a problem (back in 87 or 88) it is possible the part or whole assembly was updated and given a new part number. :?
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine