Oldschool
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Topend time?

Post by Oldschool »

Hello
I have good compression
but while replacing a broken pipe mount
(you know aftermarket pipe,Stock mount stretched to its limits).
I looked into the Cylinder and here is what it looks like.
There are faint blow by stains.
Please make me feel better and tell me
"Pffft. Dude you have 100 more hours of operation Easy"
Or something. :grin:

Sick of $250.00 replating + parts
in the Midwest.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Let her go.... your fine!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Mine has one of those lines too. I thought it was a scratch, but it was just a stain. I wouldn't worry about it. :mrgreen:
Oldschool
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Oldschool »

Thanks guys.
Looks like there will be gifts for the rest of the family under the tree
after all :mrgreen:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Man oh man..that is sign of imminent failure! Take cover, 'cuz she's gonna blow!!!
:blink:

In other words, heavens no!! Not a second (OR first) thought about it.

But...mechanically speaking, what IS it? It's not 'blow by' as that leaves carbon behind..it being hot stuff that's blowing by. Besides that, such (blow by) won't leave a thin line mark anyway.

If it's merely a mark that can be wiped off and is wet..it's something absorbing fuel or allowing it to accumulate there? A mark on the piston itself?

I'd be up for some diagnostic stuff. Wipe it off..cycle the piston..does the mark come back? Going up or coming down?

The mark on the LH side (looking at it) is from crown to below the second ring! But...I don't see any corresponding mark ON the rings (in any 'mark' place).

100 more hours? A good number of 'X' times that! No worries!!

Was this piston ever dry-fit in the bore?

Curious...did you use the waffly bit of spring metal under the second ring? Don't next time. The only thing accomplished using it is to make your ring stick in the ring land better..and that is not a good thing.

If your mount is 'stretched' to the limits..your pipe is in need of some fitment. Put a long piece of pipe, pry bar, whatever fits INTO the pipe ends, tweak it to make it fit right. All it takes is one bad get-off or a stump-whacking to tweak the pipe. You will be surprised (maybe) how easy it is to bend it back.

Well..it's easy to BEND, but not so easy to get it RIGHT. Spend some quality time tweaking the thing and checking alignment with mounting posts/holes/brackets AND the input of the spark arrester.

When you're done you should see the head of the pipe fitting squarely into the cylinder, all of the mounts will easily bolt on (and you access BOTH nut&bolt on the bottom hanger) and putting the spark arrester on will NOT lever the pipe out of position.

If it's a -30 (rev) pipe, the water hoses will be clear on the inside AND the top of the pipe will NOT touch the rad shroud.

In other words, it will fit like it should.

Oh...I won't be there to pick my package up..can you just mail it, please?

Thanks!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!