Are modifications worth it?

Got questions? We got answers....
Greenweenie

Are modifications worth it?

Post by Greenweenie »

To those of you who have done most of the mods to your bikes if you were to do it all over again would you do it again? Reason I ask is after owning my 220 for about 6 months I'm getting the urge to start modifying. Before I start sinking the money into this I starting wondering if this is the right thing to do or would I be better off getting a different bike that would be close to a modified KDX.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

KX Forks
Damper
RB head and carb

I'd do it again, twice even. :partyman:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I have the 220 as well, and the gnarly rev pipe was a terrific investment

I'm close to respringing my forks . . .

I can't speak for the RB mods but am convinced they are a no-brainer and will follow suit next spring
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
grump99

Re: Are modifications worth it?

Post by grump99 »

What kind of riding do you plan on doing? The kdx can be made to work very well in most situations and is very comfortable. However if you want to compete in moto-cross, a mx bike might suit you better.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Do bears she-it in the woods?

Depends on the mods

RB mods = Worth it
Suspension = Worth it
Delta Force = Worth it

$65 for wrinkly stickers = not worth it
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I'm with Grump99. If you basically like the bike, and it fits your needs, then the improvements are worth it. I've never had a bike where I did not modify to a certain degree.

Some example with our current rides: KTM 380 - fork and shock springs for my weight, revalved for my terrian; head squish tighten up, DF reeds, JD jetting, aftermarket silencer, handguards, softer seat foam, etc.:

TTR 125L Heavier fork springs, different bars, lighten flywheel, different jetting, different gearing, o-ring chain, hand guards, modified exhaust and air box, etc.

KDX 200 - Head squish tighten up, carb rejetted, reeds, air box modified, pipe, gearing changes, CR front end, different handlebars, etc.

Bottom Line - I don't think a bike exists for me that will fit my needs without some adjustments. So if you are like me - basically like your bike - and its close to what you need - my belief is that you'll be thrilled with improvements that you can make which make your ride perform better in the environment where you ride.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Rev, VF3, RB Carb & Head Mod will make a HUGE DIFFERENCE on the 220. Have the Forks re-sprung to your wight or better do the KX conversion. All of them are DEFINITELY WORTH IT.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I like my bike a lot. That said, if I was starting over again, I'd probably get a modern 2-stroke 250 MX bike and mod it for trails.

I say this for a lot of reasons. The newer YZs are very nice bikes. The bikes are light, the components like wheels, brakes, bars, are high quality. Even the fasteners and their design seem to be a notch above what's on the KDX. And the '05-current suspension on them is just amazing. I can ride my kid's YZ 125 much faster than my KDX on a lot of my trails, and it feels more secure in doing so. Another advantage of the MX bikes is that certain high wear parts are cheaper and more available than the KDX. I'm talking plastics, chain slider, stuff like that.

The down side of the MX bikes are, harder seat (but I think the KDX's is just a bit too soft for me anyway), no light coil, small tank, and maybe an airbox too open if you ride in the water.

Like I said I still really like my bike, but I would like to go out on MX tracks sometimes, and it doesn't feel safe there. I can ride the YZ on the track, and it feels at home, on the trails, the only thing it lacks is low end torque, but if I just keep it revved when I can it does well. A 250 would solve that problem. What I'm saying is that the YZ is a blast all the time, while the KDX has some times that can get scary, and this is even with the fork mod. I just feel if you get a balanced modern MX bike from the get-go, you're only gonna have to pay for possibly a bigger tank, and maybe a lighting kit, and a spark arrestor; versus buying a KDX and doing forks, engine mods, carb mods, shock work, pipe, and still having a bike with some shortcomings (teeny pegs, kinda high weight, no true subframe disassembly feature, low power relative to a 250, sub par wheels, stuff like that.

If you ride more on the slow side though, and just enjoy a comfy reliable bike, ignore all that I said except for " I like my bike a lot".
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

^ Well put, CM.

I had the luxury of test riding a few 250's this past summer. They are SO much more powerful than the 250 I owned 20 years ago. I DIDN'T get a chance to REALLY put a woods-worthy 250 to test and would like to have.

In my situation, though, I'm as much a trails rider / dad tag-a-long as anything else. So the KDX won out.

I must say that this 220 - and I'm not done yet - gets better everytime I fiddle. Thus far it has responded nicely to what I've changed on it.

The KDX is a truly a great bike.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

CM, you did it again! I wouldda said the same thing but you done went and said it all. If I were to do it all over and be living here instead of WA I would get a YZ or KX. If I were limited to the tight mountain trails like back in WA I would do the KDX again and mod it.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

the pumpkin would/will probably be my future. just can't afford it yet. but i will likely keep the kdx too, not sure why, maybe since it is my first bike ever, i'll use it as a buddy bike.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
Kawinj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II
Location: New Jersey -land of Bruce and overpriced real estate.

Post by Kawinj »

First off. I have a confession... Sometimes I have a spendy money problem, it sits in a chair very nicely right next to, my eyes are bigger than my stomach. With that said, I think everyone has given you the best advice on this topic which basically boils down to personal preference, and skill level.

I mention my money spending problem because I'm all for dropping some coin on the bikes so long as it's money going to a good cause. I didn't need excel rims on my bike, but the deal was too good to pass up. As far as performance mods that's different.

I have an aftermarket exhaust and reed cage as well as piston, that's it. I'm not an obssessive jetting guru, but I do know the difference between spot on, and good enough. When my bike is running well tuned and my body/mind is along for the ride I have a great day and love that damn bike every time I return home.

I've been reading for the last two years about the available carb/head mod for my 220 and have heard all of you sing it's praises and that's awesome, but I've yet to open up 5th, 6th and wished there was more, if anything I back off at those speeds because it's out of my comfort/safety zone. On the low end I've not wished for more torque in the nasties and on days I tire quickly I've found myself almost losing it with the occasional case of whiskey throttle.

My point is, my bike suits me all around for how and where I ride. The KDX is not underpowered, what it is is a very versatile bike that is capable of suiting riders of many different sizes and riding styles without spending a ton of dough. (compare the cost of a complete exhaust between a KDX and a 4stroke mx)

If you're a seat of the pants, "I need to get the most I can possibily get out of this motor" kind of guy, than maybe you should look for more cc's to start, before you throw a lot of money at something that might dissapoint.
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I love my KDX, first bike I have ever personally owned. I plan on modifying for woods riding and possibly racing. I have told others my future dreams and they all tell me just to get a new bike, modifying isnt worth it. Buying a new bike is more expensive, if i went the new bike route I would get a new KTM 250exc and those are what, ~$6500? Yeah, I dont have the money to drop on one of those. I think I can spend quite abit less modifying my $2300 KDX and get a bike that is exactly what I want and have extra money to spend. For me its a money issue.

But if a good deal ever comes up on a cheaper/older 125/250 MX bike I will pounce on that. I love jumping and tearing up a track but that isnt something I want to really be doing too much on a KDX. A cheaper bike I could trash/learn on would be perfect. :lol:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Kawinj wrote:I've been reading for the last two years about the available carb/head mod for my 220 and have heard all of you sing it's praises and that's awesome, but I've yet to open up 5th, 6th and wished there was more, if anything I back off at those speeds because it's out of my comfort/safety zone.
You should go back and re-read, RB mods are not for more topend

You know when your bike starts to bog and you open the throttle up but it just bogs even worse, so you have to shift down or at least feather the clutch before the motor stalls? That's what the carb mod is all about. When you've got the second sweet spot dialed in and it starts to bog and you open the throttle , it just keeps pulling! It allows you to pull a gear or two higher than normal. I always think I'm one gear lower than I am actually. Lately, since I made the VForce fit my jug, I've been finding myself in fourth gear, lugging it along on a tight trail, and the motor is just pulling me along no problem! It's just FREAKING awesome!

I rode with Carvr last weekend on some stuff neither of us had been on before. Totally different soil than on the Peak, mostly bright orange clay and lots of loose rock, more like pebbles, mixed in with a lot of soft loamy dirt. Very little traction, if you spun the back tire you were done
Had a long uphill section in this crap, I was leading. Second gear, quarter to half throttle, bike is just tractoring along, making that sound not many other 2strokes make, just a low grunt. Kinda like a big chain saw cutting though an old growth dougfir, mooahhmooahhhmoooahhhhh.... About half way up it started getting steeper, I started losing rpm's so I gave it a little more, and some more until I was wide open throttle and was still pulling about the same rpm's as I was on the bottom of the hill. I made it up over the top without spinning the back. Without the RB mod and VForce reeds I'd never have made it. I would have shifted into 1st and spun out

Also the new .46 fork springs really helped the way my bike handles now. I'm able to pick a line and stay with it. Before I was all over the place

I'd like to have a newer bike but there sure is not anything out there (for the money) that does anything mine won't do (with me on it at least)

I would not mind a KX500 turned into a woods bike but I'm sure that would cost much more than my ol' '92 with all the mods. And it prolly takes more to start than just a drop of my foot

CRF250x is a nice bike but to my knowledge they don't offer one in GREEN yet

Another thing, there's a lot of stuff I would not attempt with a newer bike. The KDX is pretty much indestructable, so if I find myself in a tight spot that I can't seem to get through, I'll just hop off and gas it at the same time and let the bike get through or over or down that obstacle! :wink:

Did a little homework, I'm into my bike and all the mod's for just under $2,500 ((CLICKY))
Last edited by Mr. Wibbens on 05:33 pm Nov 24 2006, edited 1 time in total.
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Kawinj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II
Location: New Jersey -land of Bruce and overpriced real estate.

Post by Kawinj »

Thanks for clarifying that Mr. Wibs. Yes my technical knowledge on the engine mods is a bit thin and I'm glad you described in detail what the RB mod did for you in that situation, it makes it much clearer instead of just saying it prevents bogging when climbing. I'm glad you didn't spin out at the top and pelt Mr. Carvr behind you in the head with marbles.

I was mostly refering to the countless number of people who like to say "Do this. It will make you go faster" Without questioning if it is something that will ever be used/needed. Perfect example, a friend of mine dumped obscene amounts of money into a sled that he rides maybe three times a season, yes it will top out at around 120+ and walk away from larger sleds, but for those 20 seconds down a frozen lake it doesn't make sense, but that's just me.

Thanks, now I gotta get the damn RB mod done :wink: , cause I know now exactly what you're talking about.
"The name's Francis Soyer, but everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Kawini and GREENWEENIE-

For those who have had the mods done... it is a no brainer so we have become complacent with it so in our little minds, we feel there is no explanation nessasary so for that we apologize. But, we have also preached the benefits of the modifications in the RB forum also. We have talked about the SSS as Wibs speaks of which makes a great lowend 2 stroke even more tractable. We have also touted the benefits of having the ability to tune the carb to greater degree with the ability to adjust the air screw on the fly with the knurled air screw.

In my mind, the RB mods along with a good set of Boysen 607 or Delta Force II or III reeds is the most bang for the buck after the pipe.

Suspension is probably the first thing you should get straightened out. It makes all the difference in the world to have confidence in knowing your bike will handle the terrain.

Tires also will help give you confidence. The stock tires are for show if you ask me. There are several choices and I believe we have identified most of the tires for most terrains.

It may appear that we are being vague, but it helps if you ask a specific question also....
Last edited by Indawoods on 06:50 pm Nov 24 2006, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote: Suspension is probably the first thing you should get straightened out. It makes all the difference in the world to have confidence in knowing your bike will handle the terrain.
I wish I would have got mine figured out sooner. I just got it sprung right for my weight within the last month and I've been tweaking the adjusters

Last weekend I did stuff that I normaly would not have dreamed of, it is handling THAT much better!
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

yeah, dont give up yet! The kdx has good aftermarket support, you've got a good crew of guys here, and if youre done with reeds, carb, pipe and fork mod, THEN maybe you should consider a switch. Mine is all stock, but i am fixing that. I really want to ride one of those modded kdx's, like inda's or green hornet's.
tim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tim »

My 06 200 is still completely stock (need money to do mods) :lol: but after 2 full days of riding with a YZ250 and figuring out that I had no problem going any where he did or being able to keep up in the woods and listing to him clutch rev then spin the rear to get up and around (that's right I said listening to him, because I could hear it over my KDX) I could keep it in 2nd or 3rd and just lug around with no problem I am very satisfied with it but I will do the r&b head and carb mods and add a woods pipe after X-mas I hope for next year but I will keep the stock silencer I just like how quiet it is. As far as the suspension goes I do need a lighter rear spring and will do that also and then I think it will be the perfect bike for me and the type of ridding I like
06 200H

GALLERY!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The quietness of your stock bike is due to the pipe being dual walled... not the silencer.

A FMF TC2 is just as quiet. I know... I tested them.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "