platnium 2 exaust...

Got questions? We got answers....
motorhed220

platnium 2 exaust...

Post by motorhed220 »

anyone know how a PC, Platnium 2 pipe, compares to a FMF, gnarly rev pipe?

could u mix a PC exaust pipe with a FMF silencer or vise versa? lol

which PC silencer would be the best for the KDX?
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Should be a little information that I wrote up right after a few changes to my boy's bikes - maybe a search would find it.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Post by saddletramp »

I just talked with Chris at P.C. about this yesterday. He claims that the plat. 2 will increase low to mid torque without losing anything on top. They have a "Nature friendly" spark arrester type 296 around 96 d.b. or less. Or the loud better performing Factory Sound which will probably not pass a d.b. test. I found the P.C. plat. on **** for $155+s.h., then called my local Kaw. dealer and got him down to $185 for the P.C. plat.2. I think I will order it today and run it with my stock silencer.
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80
Bailey28

Post by Bailey28 »

I have the PC Platinum II,, and am running it with my stock silencer. I can say that what the PC guy said holds water, the bike picked up lots on the bottom and mid, without loosing any top.

It works great, and it isn't much louder than stock if at all. A bonus is loosing all of the weight of the stock pipe, and the carb jetting seems to hold more consistently with the PC.

The bike also "fell" over three times, twice on the trail and once out of my trailer all on the right side. With no pipe guard, all that happened was a slight scratch on the PC tag on the pipe. I thought for sure I smashed it, but it held up perfectly fine. I am very happy with the pipe. It fit like a glove on the first try too, and does not leak around the cylinder port.

:supz:
FAZ
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

see, im thinkin, if the pCII gives more bottom and mid, then its not what im lookin for, my 220 has plenty of that stock, for what im riding, so would my best bet be a FMF Gnarly Rev for more top end? and mabye a powercore 1 or 2 for a silencer (i know its not forest friendly, humor me)???
Kawinj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II
Location: New Jersey -land of Bruce and overpriced real estate.

Post by Kawinj »

I run the PC2 with the factory sound exhaust and can say it punched it up nicely everywhere, not just in one place. Along with the V-force reeds setup, you get a nice crisp throttle with a fifth and sixth gear pull that seems to go on forever. The silencer is a bit loud though.
"The name's Francis Soyer, but everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Keep straight things straight.

The question concerns a 220...but not all the answers do. Well...do any of them?

Speaking of which..a bit of blurb in signatures would be helpful in such stuff..who has what and how it applies to the post.

1. I don't own a 220.
2. I don't have a PC pipe.

3. So? I still have an opinion! :wink:

I think the 220 will generally benefit from help on the top, that's why the pipe most choose is the -30 rev pipe. Yes, the -35 works well for some..it's a matter of choice, of course.

The 33mm carby is a large part of 'the problem' top-end wise. The port timing is considerably different between the 220/200. You can't bolt on enough stuff to make the bikes 'the same'. That's why they're different! :shock:

Run an arrester in the woods. That way, I won't have to go to all the trouble of stopping by your bike, digging out my wirecutters and sticking your sparkplug bootie in my fender bag. :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Keep straight things straight.

Run an arrester in the woods. That way, I won't have to go to all the trouble of stopping by your bike, digging out my wirecutters and sticking your sparkplug bootie in my fender bag. :wink:
I second that!!! The loud four strokers without SA are getting too much bad publicity for all of us: Lets do what we can to keep riding spots open.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Sorry, but this idea pretty much pisses me off.

Last ride there were idiots tearing up and down the parking area with their loud-ass 4-stroke PsOS. I swear I'd just as soon shoot the SOBs as listen to them. One moron's bike was such a popping backfiring mess he could hardly keep it running. But, he was cool because he was LOUD! Jackass.

'Loud' does not a single thing for performance. It does not HAVE to be loud to work well. In a whole lot of cases, 'loud' is to performance DETRIMENT!! Let alone being generally irritating AND giving non-riders something more to piss and moan about.

A sort of BTW...but you notice the same folk that wanted to run the 2-strokes out of the woods because of all the 'pollution' they caused (4-strokes would be SO much better) are the folk that now gripe about the noise the 4-strokes make? The agenda is NO BIKES NO WHERE!

Why give them any ammunition at all?

I forgot this part:

Re: 'could u mix a PC exaust pipe with a FMF silencer or vise versa? lol'

Yes. Well, by extrapolation anyway. I've used both a PC and an FMF spark arrester with FMF exhaust pipes. I've never owned a PC pipe.

Consider the source

marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by marco220 »

It's not just the jackasses that ride the loud bikes -- the landowners are to blame as well!!!!!

Quiet can be just as fast and fun!
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

I don't crash often... but when I do, I'm going for style points!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

My complaint about loud bikes was not to exclude landowners that are, indeed, a large PITA and certainly a large part of the problem.

We have that exact situation here. People build up in the woods. Those woods (private AND public) have been riding areas for decades, but that doesn't keep the idiots from complaining about 'those damn bikes.'

Consider the source

AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

I do have a modded 220 with the Plat II torque pipe. My bike does run out of steam quickly at high revs (of which the solution is to up-shift). I hear that the rev pipe will work wonders on the revvy-ness. What I don't know is what it will do to the low-end if I were to swap out my torque pipe for a rev pipe. That is, is my 220R low-end and mid-range torquer with the torque pipe than with the rev pipe (or even with the stock pipe for that matter)?

I have an e-mail question into ProCircuit but haven't gotten an answer back just yet.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You asked PC...what?

About 'rev' and 'torque' pipes?

It's FMF that makes the 'rev' and 'torque' pipes for the KDX.

You're referring to the platinum and platinumII? PC makes both of those for the KDX?

General consensus (regarding FmF) is the rev gives you more top end without sacrificing the bottom (from stock), the torque gives you more bottom end without sacrificing the top (from stock).

The bottom of a torque does not compare with the bottom of a rev...and vicey versy.

But....it will be interesting to hear what PC says about their pipe(s?).

Consider the source

Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
AZRickD wrote:I do have a modded 220 with the Plat II torque pipe. My bike does run out of steam quickly at high revs (of which the solution is to up-shift). I hear that the rev pipe will work wonders on the revvy-ness. What I don't know is what it will do to the low-end if I were to swap out my torque pipe for a rev pipe. That is, is my 220R low-end and mid-range torquer with the torque pipe than with the rev pipe (or even with the stock pipe for that matter)?

I have an e-mail question into ProCircuit but haven't gotten an answer back just yet.

Rick
I have an FMF "rev" pipe installed on my 220 and it made a tremendous difference for the bike. I feel power gains throughout - I didn't notice a loss of low end - but of particular notice is the change on the high revs: there's more now!! Right about where I should've been upshifting with the stock pipe I get more power delivery with the additional revs. I have, however, retained my stock silencer at this time and therefore cannot comment on what an aftermarket silencer will bring to you.

Combined with an airbox made to breathe easier and good jetting the rev pipe added an obvious dose of power!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

PC is a rev profile , PCII is a torque profile pipe.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yes, that is so.

And I have yet to see listings for the KDX..even on the Pro Ciruit site (when it works).

But...I've seen FmF Fatty pipes on 'H' KDXs...so, who knows.

Consider the source

stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

I've read that's it's virtually impossible for a 2-stroke to spit out a spark sans spark arrestor, but it's entirely possible for a 4-stroke to do so w/o a SA. But I haven't done any scientific research on the subject....I read it. And i'm all for quiet. :mrgreen:
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

now, all ya'll better take er easy, First off opinons on sound levels are goin to rage for the next century, so we shud just drop the debate and forget about it. I will always be riding a Loud, gas sucking, ass hau;lin bike, and you guys will be riding, quite, gas suckin, ass hauling bikes...No probelm.

Alls i want to know is WHICH pipe and SIlerencer (or just Pipe) will give the most bang for the buck on the top end? and from what i have read...its the FMF Gnarly Rev. Tru or not?
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
motorhed220 wrote:No probelm.
Long as you stays up there in Canuckville :razz:

I knew Canucks talked funny but you can't type fer she-it either
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

Glad to stay up here in un regulated, un restricted, unpatrolled traisl that go for ever...

And dadgum we aint talkin no weirder then all ya'll Yankee boys, wez just a bit more Hillbillyish is all.