Screw it....(tire rant)!

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Screw it....(tire rant)!

Post by Indawoods »

I bought a S-12 (130-80-18)for the back and a M-12 (90-90-21) for the front. I just couldn't bring myself to buy Dunlops! My loyalty is tainted by the crap that comes stock on our bikes. I KNOW S-12's work well! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Around these parts (The mythical state of Wershington as some would pronounce it) ...CC I just had to use the mythical thing! Anyways Inda, the S-12 rear M-12 front is the bees knees combo. I have used this on my 220 and my XR250. I like the Maxxis IT front just as well. But when it is slightly soft or slppery, the S-12's are mo better.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Kenda Millville and Southwicks are my tires of choice, as if anybody cared to know...:wink:

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Kenda Milville? Sounds like the name of an exotic dancer.... :cool:

Just because the style/composition of tire that comes on the bike isn't any good doesn't necessarily have anything to do with them being Dunlops.

I'm not sure what kind of tires bees have on their knees, but I've heard that some people even up there in Warshington (at least SPELL it right!) like Dunlops.

Going with what you know works good isn't a bad idea...but it does limit the possibility of getting something that works BETTER! At some point, $$ and the time it takes limits the 'I'll try anything' idea when it comes to tires.

I've seen some IRCs and Maxxis tires just sit-spin-and-smoke on hills/surfaces that soft compound Dunlops (756s) simply chunked up.

Different smokes for different folks! Some folks just don't like tainted crap!
Last edited by canyncarvr on 12:52 pm Feb 15 2005, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... the madness to my method is, Mich's first then Dunlops. I am doing a comparison.... Just had to use the S-12 first though... Hey, they are the old kid on the block and deserve RESPECT! :shock: (I just hope I get to change them as often as CC does!) I DIDN'T just say that did I? :roll:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'd take a crappy kenda over some frenchy tyres any day! :butthead:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You gotta RIDE your KDX before you have a tyre preference! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

THink those will work well in IL. Now KY, and MO will prolly destroy the S12 on the back, but I think those rocks would destroy anything. I need to go w/ the same combo as you chose this season as well....
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

We'll find out this summer! If it destroys 'em... I will switch to the Dunlop 756's and see how they fair.... :razz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

Hey Inda

How does the 130 fit on your bike? I went with a 110 on my 88 and the left side knobbys quickly wore hole in the plastic chain guard the C models have. Any special reason for going with the 80 on the height?

David
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The 130 fits fine on an 'H' model. As far as the 80 part...that's the only choice in anything wider than the 120 (which is smaller than a real 110). It's just the French way of measuring things. The 120 is the only 90 they have...both the 130 and the 140-18's are 80s.

Kinda screwed up.

But, hey! They got a lot of practice doing that!

The 756 is an intermediate/soft terrain tire. If you ride in hardpack all/most/a lot of the time, it may not be suitable.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yup... It's a French measurement thing! The conversion goes something like this:

Michelin size 120/80x19 = 100/90x19 Conventional sizing
Michelin size 120/90x18 = 100/100x18 Conventional sizing
Michelin size 130/70x19 = 110/90x19 Conventional sizing
Michelin size 130/80x18 = 110/100x18 Conventional sizing
Michelin size 140/80x18 = 120/100x18 Conventional sizing
Michelin size 90/90x21 = 80/100x21 Conventional sizing
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

m0rie wrote:Kenda Millville and Southwicks are my tires of choice
-Maurice
Those Kendas are pretty cheap! I like the Millville tread... the Southwick looks to soft and chunky...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

The Southwick is a great soft terrain tire for the price. But I prefer the Millville more because its got an intermediate and a soft side. Both work really well and the Millville seems to wear fairly well. My brother and sister are running them as a front tire on their bikes and they seem to be a good replacement for the M12/S12.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Jeff Fredette said to run a 47 tooth sprocket on a C model to allow for a 110/100 tire. I'll assume you had the stock 48 tooth. Is that the case? I always ran a 100/100 on my '87.

Are dirt bike tires not measured in aspect ratio like car and truck tires?

Whatever model Maxxis tires wsjkawasaki bought, are just horrible. They provided a greasy, non-confidence inspiring ride, even when brand new. Their 100/100-18 is a fair amount narrower than a Dunlop 100/100-18. The front and rear tires were about 3/8 of an inch or so narrower than various Dunlop models, plus a TrakMaster, a Kenda and maybe one other kind of tire I had.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

CC: What size Dunlop 756 are you running?

and you are right, the Maxxis was mine you saw. I have another model of the Maxxis on right now; it's got a directional tread. It works great until it starts to wear and it wears fast. So for a "cheap" tire, it doesn't last long enough to be cost effective. But if money never mattered, I'd run it for 3 rides and change it out, I think it's that good new.
Doug is running a IRC M-5B. Now you know he spins that thing with his KX500, and so far it is lasting about 2 to 1 for my Maxxis brand.

I love my M12 on the front at 13 psi. The thing grips better than anything I've ever ridden. I wonder if the KX front end makes a difference in tire brand performance? Hmmm
Last edited by skipro3 on 04:22 pm Feb 15 2005, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

110/100

Oh, I'm not CC!

How silly of me :partyman:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Are those of you running a 110/100 using a 1.85 or 2.15 rim??
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

whatever came with it :?
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think stock is 1.85 on most KDX's in the last 20 years.