New Eric Gorr Site . . . Soon

Got questions? We got answers....
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

New Eric Gorr Site . . . Soon

Post by Jeb »

Just an FYI. Eric Gorr's website has been down for several months, but looks like a new one's coming up - forwardmotion.com.mx

Supposed to be up by Nov 25th.

Anyone had any bore or porting work done by EG? Results?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

:pop: :lol:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Lots of people have had good results with his work. Most KDXers have used him for 225cc jobs. There is not much benefit in porting a KDX motor unless you are looking for an abundance of top end, and are willing to sacrifice bottom to get it.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Damn you ERIC!!!!!

Outsourcing your website to MEXICO!!!!!! You are part of the problem and not the cure!!!!! :evil:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

Dang, Inda appears to be mad. :shock:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Schitzo !!! :evil: :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote: . . . There is not much benefit in porting a KDX motor unless you are looking for an abundance of top end, and are willing to sacrifice bottom to get it.
. . . would this be true even if you've been RB'd?

How 'bout the 225cc job and RB'd?

. . . 240cc and RB'd?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Oldschool
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Oldschool »

Eric did two of my Cylinders ,both turned out perfect.
$250. & 300.00 (needed some weld)
Those MX'ers have Huge Exaust ports through the Cylinder without a bridge
and thats where the plating goes first.
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote: There is not much benefit in porting a KDX motor unless you are looking for an abundance of top end, and are willing to sacrifice bottom to get it.

THATS A LOAD OF BS FOLKS, it depends on who is doing the porting to what KDX with what combination of mods done by who . some of us have had bad experiences with porting and some good. as far as sacrificing bottom end this is not the case with my 220, but my porting and head work and carb work was all done by the same guy,to his standard that worked for him for many years.

so in closing if you had a other reactions from porting then there are always other factors involved.

I think from stock there are other mods that have very effective results
for making the power band most effective for given riding conditions before considering messing with porting.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'll preface this by saying that i've never had anything ported.

I'm guessing that the very lite factory porting on the 220 leaves a lot more have your cake and eat it too room for porting than the more high strung 200 does. In any case porting can and should be done if you (the owner of the bike) feels it is necessary. In my personal case i'd just make sure I had a known good extra cylinder and head that I could swap back and forth with to assess any changes good or bad.

Nuff said.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I've had numerous engines ported with good results from a number of engine builders.

Eric Gorr did my 98 KTM 380 with 1mm overbore, mo-power everywhere porting and adjusted the head squish. I was 110 % happy with his work, packaging/shipping. :supz: His turn around time was about twice what he said it would be but it may have been U.S. Chrome being slow - I don't really know.

He also did a 94 WR 250 for me and I was also a happy camper with that work.

P.S. I really don't now of anyone who has had EG work on a KDX for them.
Last edited by IdahoCharley on 08:31 pm Nov 26 2006, edited 1 time in total.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
m0rie wrote:I'll preface this by saying that i've never had anything ported.

I'm guessing that the very lite factory porting on the 220 leaves a lot more have your cake and eat it too room for porting than the more high strung 200 does. In any case porting can and should be done if you (the owner of the bike) feels it is necessary. In my personal case i'd just make sure I had a known good extra cylinder and head that I could swap back and forth with to assess any changes good or bad.

Nuff said.
I must say one thing - that I become more impressed with the 220 every time I spend time on it. My son and I rode all day today and I had a smile on my face the entire time. While I realize that more's coming - particularly with the RB work - this bike is pure joy to me right now.

Talk about having your cake and eating it too! Between the rev pipe, decent jetting, and a CEL w/ clip @ #3 spot, I'm covering alot of bases. It didn't seem to matter what I threw at it. Easy going or wide open. And for every "the 220 falls flat" comment I've read, I've got a fresh memory of snapping open the throttle @ about 7-grand and having this bad boy lurch forward with PLENTY of power.

My interest in porting right now is pretty much just curiosity and far from a necessity!

And, again, I'll say thanks for the tip on the CEL - 'figured it would be good but didn't expect to be so pleasantly surprising!!

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I have not had any work done by Mr. Gorr.

Some KDX'ers have had the 225 (on a 200) kit and were less than ecstatic about it. They specified 'pump gas' and indeed had to use something other than pump gas on their EG'd bikes.

I have no idea of the whys of that. Overboring a cylinder without considerably reconfiguring the head is going to lead to severe if not fatal detonation. Maybe EG doesn't 'do it all' himself but has some employees do the more common, less exciting stuff? I haven't a clue.

I do know that 'it's NOT all good.'

FWIW, my Fredette ported cylinder detonated like a ..well, whatever a badly detonating cylinder detonates like. Bad! I could NOT run the bike without mixing fuel somehow..adding toluene, using Trick 114, or some other 'stuff' of choice at the time. Mr. Fredette said there was nothing he did that would cause that. OK. Maybe it was a virus my cylinder picked up in the Midwest, then. :hmm:

Something I know to be true of Fredette and have heard to be true of EG...if it's not right, they will MAKE it right! That's time and trouble NO one likely WANTS to spend, but it's better than an attitude of 'Tough!'

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

I am one of the ones that got a 225 kit w/ mo better everywhere porting, specified pump gas and had to run a 50/50 pump and race gas mixture to getting rid of detonation. Ended up cracking the intake bridge on that cylinder (I guess thats what you'd call it there are pics in my gallery). I sent that cylinder back to Gorr and he sent me back a different 225ed cylinder with stock porting and the bike ran great on pump gas and better than the other cylinder ever did that was all with the same head. Thats my experience with Gorr I was always satisfied with the service from him though. I am also very happy with the way the bike runs now.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Wow. That's bad!!

Good to know, though.

The metal missing from the top of your piston? Classic detonation damage.

Detonation=loss of power.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!