Opinions: Big hydration pack or on bike tool packs

Got questions? We got answers....
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Opinions: Big hydration pack or on bike tool packs

Post by strider80 »

So I am looking to upgrade my trailside repair capabilities as we start riding further off the beaten path. So I am considering a large hydration pack with extra tool storage to carry a tube and basic hand tools. Or the other route is to buy front and rear fender packs for tools and a tube. Any opinons for on the body or on the bike solutions? It seems like anything attached to the bike gets trashed after awhile due to water, dirt and vibrations.

I really like the Moose fender packs and hydro pack too.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

THIS IS TRUE ABOUT FENDER BAGS CONTENTS GETTING TRASHED. I PUT FOAM IN MY BAG WITH CUT OUTS FOR TOOLS AND STUFF AND THE FOAM GETS TRASHED AFTER A WHILE. SO NOW I ONLY CARRY ON BIKE STUFF WHEN I GO ON LONG RIDES. OR RIDE BY MY SELF IN THE WOODS.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I use to have a back pack with tools and parts and a hydration bladder. Years ago I switched to a tool belt/fanny pack from MSR that carries everything and now I use a 100 oz Camel back. Getting the tools and spares weight down to the waist was a good change. By the end of a ride there is very little water left in the Camel Back. I put spare gloves in the fender bag with a Leatherman, spark plug tool, and a spark plug. The gloves keep everything tight and in place.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I keep a plug and wrench and a dew rag in my fender bag, and the rest in a fanny pack. My water bag is seperate.
When I kept all my tool's in the fender bag, they got trashed and so did the fender bag.
Which one will you notice sooner, your fanny pack falling off, or your fender bag loosing its contents behind you?
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy