Sumarined it - now what

Got questions? We got answers....
sasrocks
Supporting Member

Sumarined it - now what

Post by sasrocks »

I submerged the KDX Saturday in a big stream, hit a submerged log and tipped over. when I drug it out, hard to kick - water in the jug. like an idiot i a) had no spark plug wrench and b) tried to kick it over. we were like 8 miles from the truck and in the woods somewhat deep. so I did the stupid thing and kept kicking (not alot just maybe 15 times) despite the hydralic lock which I have heard could bend the con rod.

So I got it home and turned it over maybe 12 oz of water came out the plug hole. now the lever kicks through with little resistance. no start.

I will tear it down and completely clean everything. hoping I just need to replace the gaskets and possibly rings. any advice beside carry a plug wrench and dont kick it?
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

Who hasn't drowned a bike? sorry you weren't prepared but some lessons learned the hard way are learned well. I am sure that is the good part about this - you will make a trail tool pack for you and others with you, I am sure. It's part of trail riding 101.

I flip mine over, turn the wheel forever with the bike in gear to pump water from everywhere and then dry it by hand everywhere in the intake. If it's muddy - bummer - then it's a problem. Mine is always clean water so far.

Trun it right side up, install a dry plug and start the sucker. So far, no problems.

But if it was muddy, I would pull it apart like you are planning.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

There have been several drown 'fixes' posted over the years. If you're in the woods, you either push it or go through the basics as Kanuck listed.

Some have used Marvel Mystery Oil to flush the bottom end out once they got the bike home. That and tranny fluid. Flush the tranny out, too. Change oil (tranny) often after a drowning.

Carry any basic tool you need to take care of such a thing. Plug wrench (and a couple plugs for sure), 10mm 1/4" ratchet and short extension, screwdriver or allen as required for taking the seat and carb off.

Repack your silencer (well, presuming it's not the OEM unit).

Oh...Kanuck's 'everywhere in the intake' of course includes the air filter. It will be fine for a ride back to staging if you squeeze it out good.

Chances of the bike being fine are good. It will likely run just fine until the next top-end anyway. Why bother with rings if you aren't going to do the rest of it?

Flush it out, clean it up...go riding!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
sasrocks
Supporting Member

Post by sasrocks »

the thing that has me worried is the apparent lack of compression possibly indicating a bent rod or blown gasket. I will do a comp check and post the results. could be just worrying about nothing.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'now the lever kicks through with little resistance.'

I didn't take that to mean no compression..but that the water was out.

That is 'no resistance' with the plug in? Filter good?

Obviously that would be a problem.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
sasrocks
Supporting Member

Post by sasrocks »

update:
new oil, fuel plug and cleaned carb.

no start. compression check = 70psi (95-151 normal)

manual says low comp could be piston, ring, head gasket or crank oil seal.

will proceed to investigate further after turkey day. :(
sasrocks
Supporting Member

Post by sasrocks »

update: running like a champ now. just took lots of WD40 and patience to expel the moisture and get her lit. :) remember there is the 'bottom end' to dry out not just whats above the piston :mrgreen:
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Glad to hear you got it running. :mrgreen:
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Who hasn't drowned a bike?
Unless you live in Phoenix where we get <10 inches of rain per year, and that usually means that our sand washes finally give us some decent traction. :mrgreen:

Glad you got it running right. That would've freaked me out as well.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
sasrocks
Supporting Member

Post by sasrocks »

one note on the comp check. the low reading was due to me not being able to follow the prescribed procedure: run it till its hot and the riogs are sealing, then check the comp.

I will check the comp correctly now that its running, and anticipate a normal reading