leaky carb

Got questions? We got answers....
vinny

leaky carb

Post by vinny »

Ok guys I've been out of this a long time and I can't remember crap. I just purchased a 93 KDX200 that is need of some attention. instead of pileing it all on you at once I'll take it one problem at a time. First, I got the bike last week end and it has sat in my garage this entire week leaking gas on the floor. the gas is coming from a line attatched to the right hand side of the carbabout half way up. I took the carb off today to clean it but it looks pretty clean already. So whats the problem? Needle and seat? Float?

Vinny
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

For one thing, the gas is supposed to be turned off to prevent that sort of thing from burning your house down.

Next, it sounds like you have a crusty booger on the valve that the floats actuate to fill the float bowl. it could be that your float bowl level is adjusted way too high too, but on an older bike, the seat and needle valve are almost always screwed up. you can try to clean then, but replacement is a better bet.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
vinny

Post by vinny »

Well I failed to mention that the gas is shut off but the petcock leaks a little. That is problem two. Sorry
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The petcock may not have a problem. They're just picky. Well, on the 'H' models they are.

If you're one smidgen off 'off', it's not.

..off that is.

Take the fuel hose off the carb to make sure it DOES turn off..and where 'off' is.

'93s have a removeable float needle seat? I don't know one way or the other.

Seems older bikes commonly did have removable parts, newer bikes don't.

Well, the 'H' model don't...

I'm a wealth of information..........

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

ok, actually I don't know either (if the seat is replaceable). but a tear-down and cleaning would yield the info.
Mike

'04 KDX220
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

No removable seat on the E series bikes.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
vinny

Post by vinny »

Any other reasons or places to look for the leak? Other wear or replacement parts.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'other reasons...'

The temperature in your garage changed from -20ºC to 60ºC within an hour and the vent tube is plugged up.

That would do it.

Otherwise, it's as has already been said.

You cleaned the float needle seat? How?

You checked the petcock operation? How?

With a clean float needle seat and correct float setting, it will still likely pee when on the side stand....if your side stand is like most KDX's (leans the bike w-a-y over).

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

oh yeah, good point. I don't let mine be on the sidestand in the garage. I lean it against the wall so it's vertical, and then I use a strap to a stud to keep it from falling over. takes less space that way, and Cruella can park her ludicrously expensive JBL equiped, leather interiored, variable valve timed, AWD stablinkity cuntrolled blue meanie FMV ("Fargin" Mini Van) next to it without whining more than usual.
Mike

'04 KDX220
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:oh yeah, good point. I don't let mine be on the sidestand in the garage. I lean it against the wall so it's vertical, and then I use a strap to a stud to keep it from falling over. takes less space that way, and Cruella can park her ludicrously expensive JBL equiped, leather interiored, variable valve timed, AWD stablinkity cuntrolled blue meanie FMV ("Fargin" Mini Van) next to it without whining more than usual.
For some reason that made me laugh incredibly hard...
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E