kdx 220 cracked fuel tank neck

Got questions? We got answers....
wsjkawasaki
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

kdx 220 cracked fuel tank neck

Post by wsjkawasaki »

i was wondering if anyone could give me any info on the kdx 220/200 fuel tank neck having a hairline crack close to the base...my friend and kdx guru jason had mentioned that some guys have taken theres back to a kawasaki dealer and kawasaki replaced the tank.my concern is that my kdx is a used 97 not a 2001,2002 etc. was that a factory defect(not making it strong enough) or was it just the jack a** that owned it before torqued it down too much. any help or experience you guys have had with this would be a great help!!!! :shock:
shane j.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

SkiPro had his replaced by the factory under warranty. I think on a used bike your out of luck thought. How bad is it cracked? Leaking gas like a sieve? If you can't get it replaced i'd try "welding" it with some gas resistant plastic epoxy and see how it holds up. Or look on E-Bay for a replacement.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

If you want to cross over to the dark side and take a step down the ladder of evolution, the "other KDX site" has a bunch of threads about the tank filler neck problem. I read some of the threads a few months ago. The majority of the guys who couldnt get the tanks replaced under warranty were doing the plastic welding for repair. One idea I read sounds pretty good. Most major automotive body shops have plastic welding equipment, seemed to be the most long term fix. Glues and such didnt seem to work for long.

Good luck
T-Roy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by T-Roy »

I have an 01 and Kawi replaced my cracked tank, no charge. I first called Kawi via their customer service number (found on the Kawi website) and they instructed me to take my bike to a local dealer for an evaluation. I had the local dealer call Kawi while I was there and they authorized a replacement on the spot. I asked for the black tank and the dealer ordered it up. I had the new tank a few weeks later. I did however have to furnish all of the labor, as the labor was not covered under this "Goodwill Warranty". Both the local dealer and Kawi treated me like a valued customer, which I still am thanks to their efforts! :cool:
2001 KDX 200
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I have a 1999 KDX 220 that had the cracked tank filler. I took it to my dealer who told me it was my fault. I called Kawasaki and they told me to go back to the dealer and have them contact Kawasaki with their "special" phone #. Kawasaki wanted to confirm through the dealer that the part was broken in a manner that wasn't evidenced by abuse. After getting off the phone with Kawasaki, the dealer told me I would have to produce a copy of the vehicle registration to prove the bike was mine and that the tank had not been replaced before. (I guess it could turn into a scam or something). After I gave that info to the dealer, they again contacted Kawasaki and faxed the info to them. Kawasaki inquired as to why I was making the report on the tank crack and not the origional buyer. (Somehow Kawasaki can tell who the origonal buyer from a dealership is.) I told my dealer I bought the bike used and gave them my sellers information. With that, Kawasaki authorized my dealer to order a new tank at a cost of zero dollars. The dealer ordered it and the tank arrived in about 2 weeks. I tried to have them send me a black tank, (I was trying to make the bike all black at the time) but the dealer said he was only authorized to order the origional part #. I asked him to call Kawasaki back and get authorization for ordering a black tank, but he said he wasn't interested in doing so. (Assole!!) I have heard from many folks whose dealers were aware of the tank crack problem and quickly took care of them. My dealer treated me like a pimple on their ass through the whole process. The dealer didn't want my old tank and I cut the brass inserts out in case some day I stripped one of mine. Since then, I've given them all away to folks who stripped out theirs. I only tell you this last part so you don't just toss the tank away. Those brass inserts are not orderable parts, you have to buy the whole tank.
Hope this helps.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
wsjkawasaki
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wsjkawasaki »

hey! thanks guys you all have been a big help i will try the kawasaki route and if it doesn't work i will just order a new black one since they seem to be the better ones or an ims tank if i need to either way i cant have a cracked neck,ronayers has the new black tanks for $262.33 and ims is $225 so if i have to buy one it will probably be the kawasaki tank since it isnt no where near as ugly!!!!
shane j.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If you DO get a new replacement...and don't have to toss the old one, you might consider the 'plastic welding' idea before you trash the whole thing by ripping out the inserts.

Then, if you ever run into a tree with the filler neck of your new tank..you will have a replacement.

Nah! THAT'll never happen! ;)

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'd have done that myself CC, but my dye job didn't turn out well. The green tank stayed black for a while, then it started to look like the incredible hulk going through puberty. Pretty uggggggllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the biggest problem with the tank is over tightening the fuel cap. I'm guessing that's the cause for so many failures. Any more, I tighten just to were it seats. It doesn't leak and it's never come loose.

Glad to have helped out wsjkawasaki.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!