Enduro Riding technics

Got questions? We got answers....
gtoron

Enduro Riding technics

Post by gtoron »

Hello All can anyone suggest a good book on enduro riding technics?

Was looking for something that goes over what you may encounter on a enduro and how to ride over it or around it and overcome it!

Thanks
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Get out there and RIDE. Then ride some more.
Seems like a good DVD would be better than reading but that's just me.
Are u thinking about doing a enduro race?
Wilf
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Learn the proper riding position(s) and then strive to maintain them. That means not sitting as much as you would like. This also requires the handlebars to be correct for you and the levers to be positioned correct for you. Suspension sag and rates as well as dampening are far more important than engine power. The ill affects of improper dampening are where the terrain would be constantly throwing you out of your proper riding position. A good tuned suspension will let the bike rock and roll and move underneath you while you maintain a good centered and balanced position. This will also help you from using a death grip and getting arm pump. Proper cornering techniques and peg weighting will make the difference in overshooting corners or going slow vs easily railing a corner where you can maintain some speed and not have the front wheel plowing the ruts or have the bike high side you. The term “forgiving” is used with suspensions because in fact a properly tuned suspension will absorb or negate many nasties and you as a rider will not have to deal with them, like being thrown over the bars or having the rear end try to pass you on whoops or it flying up over your head or bottoming so hard your ass is shoved up to your shoulder blades; front end diving or pushing over the corner or knifing under you or rattling your arms until they are numb or bottoming.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:Get out there and RIDE. Then ride some more.
Seems like a good DVD would be better than reading but that's just me.
Are u thinking about doing a enduro race?
Wilf
Yup I sure am. I always wanted to race and I figure I am not getting any younger and if I don't do it now I never will.
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
Seen this....Wild huh! Not looking to do anything that crazy :mrgreen:
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Ride, get in shape, and ride some more.
I stay in pretty good shape and ride a lot.
I no longer underestimate how much endurance is necessary for an enduro!

I need to be able to ride, at speed and in difficult terrain, for 2 or 3 hours non-stop to be able to do an enduro with any dignity.

I usually drag a$$ the last 15 miles and am whupped, no matter how well prepared I think I am. :lol:
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Riding a lot is not necessarily the fastest way to become a better rider. In any sport including running which you would think is so natural it doesn't have a proper technique, but it does, doing something over and over the wrong way will not make you any better. I watch many riders that have no clue how to corner using poor body position or not weighting the outside peg and they all look like flounders and are slow and crash a lot and shoot off the corners into the trees. I was one of those a long time back. Going fast over whoops has a definite technique that works, all other techniques don't. Obviously jumping has right and wrong techniques. So if you are going to practice, then make the practice time count. Enduros and Scrambles are fun when you ride correctly and your body and bike are in sync. You won’t get tired or sore as quickly and you will crash less.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I rode for years like a dweeb, a first class flounder with no clue, a TARD. It wasn't till I was 16 when an old man in his 30's showed me how to corner. I was so bad I would turn the bars into the corner which didn't work, panic freeze and shoot straight off the corner cuz the bike wouldn't turn. I had no idea about weighting the pegs, counter steering and using the throttle to corner.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

weighting the pegs
?
Can you elaborate in a few words?
I have no clue how I turn, I just do a bit of this and a bit of that. Mostly I think counter steering and using the throttle.
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

When you weight the outside peg you are literally putting all your body weight at peg height on the bike which is very low so the center of gravity becomes much lower on the bike than when you were sitting on the seat. All your body weight is essentially at axle height now which leaves only the bikes weight to be adversely affected. When you sit on the seat in a corner while leaning the bike over it can try to straighten up and it catapults your ass like a lever. When all your weight is on the outside peg and it tries to snap up it does so under you but doesn't actually throw you. Also a properly weighted outside peg puts proper weight distribution to front and rear tires. Those smart engineers put the pegs exactly where they will do the most good. The peg’s distance between front and rear axles is important too but we can’t change that.
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
bradf wrote:When you weight the outside peg you are literally putting all your body weight at peg height on the bike which is very low so the center of gravity becomes much lower on the bike than when you were sitting on the seat. All your body weight is essentially at axle height now which leaves only the bikes weight to be adversely affected. When you sit on the seat in a corner while leaning the bike over it can try to straighten up and it catapults your ass like a lever. When all your weight is on the outside peg and it tries to snap up it does so under you but doesn't actually throw you. Also a properly weighted outside peg puts proper weight distribution to front and rear tires. Those smart engineers put the pegs exactly where they will do the most good. The peg’s distance between front and rear axles is important too but we can’t change that.
OK you are talking Greek to me. Please explain.
mattR

Post by mattR »

There a bunch of books at Amazon and you can usually find these two in a big book store like Barnes & Noble etc.

I have the second one (Dirt Rider's) and it is at least half off road (not MX) riding technique. It has step by step captioned pics for turns, ruts, hills, off camber, log crossing, rock gardens and lots more. Great stuff! I usually drag it out in the middle of winter to remind me of all the things I do wrong. LOL
97 KDX 220
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

πάρτε το βιβλίο

βάρος ο εξωτερικός γόμφος

αυτό είναι elementry ο αγαπητός Watson μου

πρέπει να μάθετε αυτήν την τεχνική

Όταν ζυγίζετε τον εξωτερικό γόμφο βάζετε κυριολεκτικά όλο το βάρος σωμάτων σας στο ύψος γόμφων στο ποδήλατο που είναι πολύ χαμηλό έτσι το κέντρο βάρους γίνεστε πολύ χαμηλότεροι στο ποδήλατο από όταν καθόσαστε στο κάθισμα. Όλο το βάρος σωμάτων σας είναι ουσιαστικά στο ύψος αξόνων που τώρα αφήνει μόνο το βάρος ποδηλάτων για να επηρεαστεί αρνητικά. Όταν κάθεστε στο κάθισμα σε μια γωνία ενώ κλίνοντας το ποδήλατο πέρα από τον μπορείτε να προσπαθήσετε να ισιώσετε επάνω και αυτό τους καταπέλτες ο γάιδάρος σας όπως έναν μοχλό. Όταν όλο το βάρος σας είναι στον εξωτερικό γόμφο και προσπαθεί να σπάσει απότομα επάνω κάνει έτσι κάτω από σας αλλά δεν σας ρίχνει πραγματικά. Επίσης ένας κατάλληλα ζυγισμένος εξωτερικός γόμφος βάζει την κατάλληλη διανομή βάρους για να αντιμετωπίσει και να εκθρέψει τις ρόδες. Εκείνοι οι έξυπνοι μηχανικοί βάζουν τους γόμφους ακριβώς όπου θα κάνουν τον καλύτερο. Η απόσταση του γόμφου μεταξύ των μπροστινών και οπίσθιων αξόνων είναι σημαντική επίσης αλλά δεν μπορούμε να αλλάξουμε αυτόν.
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

I took a trials class that really helped, plan on taking another
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
bradf wrote:πάρτε το βιβλίο

βάρος ο εξωτερικός γόμφος

αυτό είναι elementry ο αγαπητός Watson μου

πρέπει να μάθετε αυτήν την τεχνική

Όταν ζυγίζετε τον εξωτερικό γόμφο βάζετε κυριολεκτικά όλο το βάρος σωμάτων σας στο ύψος γόμφων στο ποδήλατο που είναι πολύ χαμηλό έτσι το κέντρο βάρους γίνεστε πολύ χαμηλότεροι στο ποδήλατο από όταν καθόσαστε στο κάθισμα. Όλο το βάρος σωμάτων σας είναι ουσιαστικά στο ύψος αξόνων που τώρα αφήνει μόνο το βάρος ποδηλάτων για να επηρεαστεί αρνητικά. Όταν κάθεστε στο κάθισμα σε μια γωνία ενώ κλίνοντας το ποδήλατο πέρα από τον μπορείτε να προσπαθήσετε να ισιώσετε επάνω και αυτό τους καταπέλτες ο γάιδάρος σας όπως έναν μοχλό. Όταν όλο το βάρος σας είναι στον εξωτερικό γόμφο και προσπαθεί να σπάσει απότομα επάνω κάνει έτσι κάτω από σας αλλά δεν σας ρίχνει πραγματικά. Επίσης ένας κατάλληλα ζυγισμένος εξωτερικός γόμφος βάζει την κατάλληλη διανομή βάρους για να αντιμετωπίσει και να εκθρέψει τις ρόδες. Εκείνοι οι έξυπνοι μηχανικοί βάζουν τους γόμφους ακριβώς όπου θα κάνουν τον καλύτερο. Η απόσταση του γόμφου μεταξύ των μπροστινών και οπίσθιων αξόνων είναι σημαντική επίσης αλλά δεν μπορούμε να αλλάξουμε αυτόν.
Now I understand :rolleyes:
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

I just bought this book

Pro Motocross & Off-Road Riding Techniques (Paperback)
by Donnie Bales

"Off-road motorcycle riding involves a series of calculated risks..."

I'm also considering taking a class with local dude, greenie, Destry Abbott this winter.

http://www.destryabbott.com/

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.