Torque Wrench range

Got questions? We got answers....
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Torque Wrench range

Post by stringburner »

Would two wrenchs that handle torque values in the 20 in. lb.~120 ft. lb. range handle these bikes applications?
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I looked up the recommended torque settings for various fasteners. The highest torque is for the rear axle nut @ 72 ft-lb. More than half of the settings are less than 30 ft-lb.

I bought one 3/8" drive torque wrench and I believe it should cover those needs. 'Might be advantageous to to get some of the "crows foot" adapters for hard-to-reach areas (on the cylinder base nuts it's a must) - a good metric set will run you about $35 and they are very handy.

I believe some get around the adapters with some creative welding (do a search). IMHO having the tools is nice.

'Hope this helps!!

BTW - how 'bout them Mountaineers!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

Thanks Jeb. I think i'll get one for inch pounds and one for foot pounds....Or I might look up some conversions and see if the inch pound one will handle the foot pound requirements.

The Mountaineers...I have mixed feelings about that. You always like to see your states team do well, but their schedule is a patsy. They should never have been ranked as highly as they were w/ the opponents they face. I was tickled when Lewavuhl gave 'em a good adjustin'. :mrgreen: I recall one year they were all high and mighty, had a perfect season, and then went to some fancy bowl, actually played a team w/ talent (Florida or Florida State I think), and got their asses handed to them. Funny stuff. :grin:

Oh yeah, I was perusing the Craftsman tool catalog and saw an adapter, you put in betwixt your ratchet/breaker bar, and your socket, and it acts as a torque wrench. It reads in inch, foot, or Nm. Looks might nice, but kind of pricey @ $200.00.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Geez . . . you sound like a Thundering Herd fan . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

in my not so humble opinyun, the crows foot adapter is a waste, just bite the bullet and buy the Motion Pro tool for the cyl base studs. and you are wise to get a little wrench and a big one.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

>|<>QBB<
Jeb wrote:Geez . . . you sound like a Thundering Herd fan . . .
Who dat? :grin: I don't follow it much. I hear WVU is doing well though. We'll see how well they match up against Rutgers.....