Whew, the stock fork springs can hurt you

Got questions? We got answers....
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Whew, the stock fork springs can hurt you

Post by 2001kdx »

man, i came up on a jump all of a sudden today, it was really steep, and i hit it awkwardly. i landed almost in an endo. it was pretty scary... basically, when i landed, my front wheel hit first, and before my rear hit the ground, i slid over the seat tank and handlebars and slammed into the ground. now i have a very stiff neck. im 220 with all of my gear, and you can bet i will re-spring very soon. For those who have done it {not kx fork guys}, does it help in these situations? Riding on flat or bumpy terrain feels fine, jumping is scary at times, no joke
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

I understand your angst. I had the same problem with my front forks and rear spring being stock... I ride at about the same weight as you. To get any kind of air, I would have to pre-load the front forkes just before lift off. Otherwise, I'd mush over them. Never had an endo or near endo event, but I'm not so quick.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Suspension IS the most important safety feature your bike has... make it right!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
grump99

Re: Whew, the stock fork springs can hurt you

Post by grump99 »

>|<>QBB<[quote=" For those who have done it {not kx fork guys}, does it help in these situations?[/quote]

Yes.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Whew, the stock fork springs can hurt you

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
grump99 wrote:>|<>QBB<[quote=" For those who have done it {not kx fork guys}, does it help in these situations?
Yes

And yes again.

It is generally agreed that the OEM KDX fork springs are 'good' for about 140#.

When I first put on my MS-Tech'd front end, I wasn't hugely impressed. It didn't seem like that big a deal. I swapped bikes with another KDX rider whose bike was stockly suspendered, rode over a section of trail I'd just ridden on with my MX-Tech setup. Scairt me good!

The weeks I had to wait for my forks (not riding) dulled my perception, I guess.

As Inda said....suspension is very important. Fix it!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!